Pacquiao dumps Murad as promoter
By dennis principe
Manny Pacquiao has decided to terminate his promotional deal with Murad Muhammad saying the American promoter had failed to package a mega fight deal before the end of the year.
Murad signed Pacquiao to a six-fight, 2 ½ year promotional contract worth $2.5 million middle of 2001 which is set to end this December.
"This is my decision. He’s made more money from my previous fights. That’s why I will now terminate my contract with him," said Pacquiao, insisting that Murad failed to fulfill significant parts of their contract.
The 25-year-old Pacquiao also declared that once the contract expires, he will stay as a free agent and personally work on every deal that will come his way.
While saying this, however, he said he would look into the offer of Marty Elorde to extend their relationship for another five years with Elorde sweetening the pot with a R5-million signing bonus.
The two had their initial talks on the matter yesterday. Elorde’s five-year contract as manager expires February next year. Under that contract, which he negotiated for R1 million and a R10,000 monthly training allowance, Elorde got 30 percent of Pacquiao’s purse.
"It’s still a long shot as far as my offer is concerned as I anticipate much better offers from other camps. But the bottom line here is that Manny should be able to maximize his potentials, business wise, as a legitimate boxing star" disclosed Elorde.
On Murad’s status, Pacquiao however acknowledged that the promoter was instrumental in giving him an opportunity of fighting for the IBF world superbantamweight title versus Lehlohonolo Ledwaba in 2001.
But the flamboyant southpaw claims that with Murad able to recoup whatever efforts he did in his past fights, it’s now time for him to move on and delve into other opportunities he deserve to have.
"Ako naman ang lumalaban kaya dapat lang na ako na ang magdesisyon. Sobra na din ang bawi ni Murad kaya yung sinasabing utang na loob ko, tingin ko nakabawi na ako doon" revealed Pacquiao.
Translation: "I am the one fighting so I should be the one making this decision. I think I have repayed all of the favors that Murad claimed I owed him. It's more than even."
Pacquiao added that he was able to discuss his latest action with business manager Rod Nazario.
"Ang sabi lang niya, wala na akong magagawa kung ‘yan ang plano mo" disclosed Pacquiao.
Translation: "He(Nazario) said, 'I can't do anything if that is truly your plan'".
At the moment, reports are coming out that Pacquiao is slated to appear in a non-title bout versus Australian-based Guyanese Gary St. Clair either November 27 or December 4.
The same report claims that Murad had already received a $650,000 downpayment from an unnamed Filipino personality for the Pacquiao-St. Clair promotion.
But according to Nazario’s close associate Moy Lainez, everything is still up in the air regarding the Manila promotion, which is being pushed by Murad.
"Sa tingin ko lang, nambobola na si Murad para ma-extend ang kontrata niya. Sa hirap ng ekonomiya, sino ba naman ang maglalabas ng ganon kalaking pera." remarked Lainez.
Translation: "I think Murad is bluffing just so he will get his contract extended. With the way the (Phillippine)economy is going, who would seriously front that amount of cash?"
Claiming that he missed his wife and kids, Pacquiao went back to the country the other day after nearly a month of training at the Wild Card Gym in California.
Pacquiao however said that he plans to return to the United States and resume his conditioning under Freddie Roach who also handled Mike Tyson in his comeback fight recently.
"Masakit din ang kamay ko kaya umuwi na muna ako. Namiss ko na din kasi ang pamilya ko. Pero mga second week of October babalik na din ako sa Wild Card" added Pacquiao.
Translation: "My hand is also hurting that's why I went home for now. I also miss my family. But come second week of October, I will be back at the Wild Card Gym."
By dennis principe
Manny Pacquiao has decided to terminate his promotional deal with Murad Muhammad saying the American promoter had failed to package a mega fight deal before the end of the year.
Murad signed Pacquiao to a six-fight, 2 ½ year promotional contract worth $2.5 million middle of 2001 which is set to end this December.
"This is my decision. He’s made more money from my previous fights. That’s why I will now terminate my contract with him," said Pacquiao, insisting that Murad failed to fulfill significant parts of their contract.
The 25-year-old Pacquiao also declared that once the contract expires, he will stay as a free agent and personally work on every deal that will come his way.
While saying this, however, he said he would look into the offer of Marty Elorde to extend their relationship for another five years with Elorde sweetening the pot with a R5-million signing bonus.
The two had their initial talks on the matter yesterday. Elorde’s five-year contract as manager expires February next year. Under that contract, which he negotiated for R1 million and a R10,000 monthly training allowance, Elorde got 30 percent of Pacquiao’s purse.
"It’s still a long shot as far as my offer is concerned as I anticipate much better offers from other camps. But the bottom line here is that Manny should be able to maximize his potentials, business wise, as a legitimate boxing star" disclosed Elorde.
On Murad’s status, Pacquiao however acknowledged that the promoter was instrumental in giving him an opportunity of fighting for the IBF world superbantamweight title versus Lehlohonolo Ledwaba in 2001.
But the flamboyant southpaw claims that with Murad able to recoup whatever efforts he did in his past fights, it’s now time for him to move on and delve into other opportunities he deserve to have.
"Ako naman ang lumalaban kaya dapat lang na ako na ang magdesisyon. Sobra na din ang bawi ni Murad kaya yung sinasabing utang na loob ko, tingin ko nakabawi na ako doon" revealed Pacquiao.
Translation: "I am the one fighting so I should be the one making this decision. I think I have repayed all of the favors that Murad claimed I owed him. It's more than even."
Pacquiao added that he was able to discuss his latest action with business manager Rod Nazario.
"Ang sabi lang niya, wala na akong magagawa kung ‘yan ang plano mo" disclosed Pacquiao.
Translation: "He(Nazario) said, 'I can't do anything if that is truly your plan'".
At the moment, reports are coming out that Pacquiao is slated to appear in a non-title bout versus Australian-based Guyanese Gary St. Clair either November 27 or December 4.
The same report claims that Murad had already received a $650,000 downpayment from an unnamed Filipino personality for the Pacquiao-St. Clair promotion.
But according to Nazario’s close associate Moy Lainez, everything is still up in the air regarding the Manila promotion, which is being pushed by Murad.
"Sa tingin ko lang, nambobola na si Murad para ma-extend ang kontrata niya. Sa hirap ng ekonomiya, sino ba naman ang maglalabas ng ganon kalaking pera." remarked Lainez.
Translation: "I think Murad is bluffing just so he will get his contract extended. With the way the (Phillippine)economy is going, who would seriously front that amount of cash?"
Claiming that he missed his wife and kids, Pacquiao went back to the country the other day after nearly a month of training at the Wild Card Gym in California.
Pacquiao however said that he plans to return to the United States and resume his conditioning under Freddie Roach who also handled Mike Tyson in his comeback fight recently.
"Masakit din ang kamay ko kaya umuwi na muna ako. Namiss ko na din kasi ang pamilya ko. Pero mga second week of October babalik na din ako sa Wild Card" added Pacquiao.
Translation: "My hand is also hurting that's why I went home for now. I also miss my family. But come second week of October, I will be back at the Wild Card Gym."
Comment