Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Mike Tyson lose to Holyfield because his best friend 2pac was gunned down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Mike Tyson lose to Holyfield because his best friend 2pac was gunned down?

I'm a huge Mike Tyson fan and I'm just wondering if the reason that he lost to Holyfield was because of his best friend Tupac being gunned down 2 months before his fight with Holyfield.

Is it possible that he was still in shock from losing his best friend and he was not motivated or concentrated enough to beat Holyfield and that's why he lost?

I know this can’t be a legit question. Still I tell it every chance I get. I asked my old man the day after the Spinks fight if he thought anyone could beat Mike Tyson. He said “Well son there is this guy named Evander Holyfield...” He’d only take Evander at even odds in the bar when they finally fought so nobody would be put out too much. I had the game, his greatest hits, his posters, but Mikes greatest accomplishment was being overrated. It’s a compliment because it means he was enjoyed as a prize fighter. But he couldn’t beat Evander in a hundred tries.

Comment

Originally posted by Blond Beast View Post
      I know this can’t be a legit question. Still I tell it every chance I get. I asked my old man the day after the Spinks fight if he thought anyone could beat Mike Tyson. He said “Well son there is this guy named Evander Holyfield...” He’d only take Evander at even odds in the bar when they finally fought so nobody would be put out too much. I had the game, his greatest hits, his posters, but Mikes greatest accomplishment was being overrated. It’s a compliment because it means he was enjoyed as a prize fighter. But he couldn’t beat Evander in a hundred tries.

Eh, while I think Holyfield is a great fighter and won’t dispute anything regarding their fight..young focused mike was a monster, yeah king paired him against a lot of fighters that would lead to highlight reels but the sheer brutality of a young, angry Tyson whole controlled outside and in the ring was a phenom dude. Greatest heavyweight ever? Nah, not even close but I think a young Tyson gives any champion historically a hell of fcking scare for the first three rounds. Rich or post jail Tyson not so much. The kid Tyson with something to prove and his original coach.. yeah man that version loses to a lot of greats but would drop a lot of legends in their time.

Comment

Holyfield was not intimidated, was durable, and threw volume inside when Tyson tried to take his usual "breathers". Mike couldn't handle the pace and just got folded. It is what it is.

Comment

No, whilst Evander may have got away with too much holding and used that to nullify tyson, he was also the better all round fighter. He was stronger, comparable speed, more versatile...Tyson was a phenomenon but short of the elite.

He definitely did peak early, hes not the first or last guy that followed that career trajectory, but my gut says that had the fight happened post Douglas like it was supposed to, Evander would have still beat him.

Comment

Mike Tyson wasn't the same after prison. King tried to keep it easy for him and that is why he fought Holyfield who had been stopped by Bowe and had a heart condition.

As pointed out Holyfield was too much for him at this point.

Comment

Yeah.....shock......

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                Eh, while I think Holyfield is a great fighter and won’t dispute anything regarding their fight..young focused mike was a monster, yeah king paired him against a lot of fighters that would lead to highlight reels but the sheer brutality of a young, angry Tyson whole controlled outside and in the ring was a phenom dude. Greatest heavyweight ever? Nah, not even close but I think a young Tyson gives any champion historically a hell of fcking scare for the first three rounds. Rich or post jail Tyson not so much. The kid Tyson with something to prove and his original coach.. yeah man that version loses to a lot of greats but would drop a lot of legends in their time.
                It’s Tyson’s shame that his most loyal fans have to use the term “prime”. Nobody can be at their best version before having faced adversity and with their least experience. Only Mike Tyson could lose in the biggest supposed upset in boxing history. It didn’t happen to anyone else, it happened to Mike. His jab, head movement, are more myth than reality. He was never a beast on the inside, always happy to clinch up and look to the ref to separate. He was never a dirty fighter early on. He threw mostly one twos and would look to get separated. He didn’t set up his punches as much as he just cycled through his combos. Everyone has a plan until u get hit right? Well Mike didn’t like to get hit and had no plan for when he did. He has the power to KO anyone but it’s a lot harder against the cream or the crop. He becomes a flat footed fighter with a predictable pattern. I’ve seen all his fights. His legend is as a prize fighter, we loved to watch him. Explosive. Most people just wanted Mike to be better than he was I think. I think it’s fair to say he did much worse than the odds that were put on him.

Comment

It’s Tyson’s shame that his most loyal fans have to use the term “prime”. Nobody can be at their best version before having faced adversity and with their least experience. Only Mike Tyson could lose in the biggest supposed upset in boxing history. It didn’t happen to anyone else, it happened to Mike. His jab, head movement, are more myth than reality. He was never a beast on the inside, always happy to clinch up and look to the ref to separate. He was never a dirty fighter early on. He threw mostly one twos and would look to get separated. He didn’t set up his punches as much as he just cycled through his combos. Everyone has a plan until u get hit right? Well Mike didn’t like to get hit and had no plan for when he did. He has the power to KO anyone but it’s a lot harder against the cream or the crop. He becomes a flat footed fighter with a predictable pattern. I’ve seen all his fights. His legend is as a prize fighter, we loved to watch him. Explosive. Most people just wanted Mike to be better than he was I think. I think it’s fair to say he did much worse than the odds that were put on him.
                  And always being the one walked back into the ropes.

Comment

Why are you forgetting that he destroyed Michael Spinks in less than a round? Spinks was undefeated too.

Comment

Working...
                    X