Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: De La Hoya: Charlo's Handlers Turned Down 'Very Lucrative Offer' For Canelo Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Verus View Post
    You won't get an argument from me about De La Hoya's character flaws and failure to hold his team to account for not making sure that Canelo was informed of the possibility of being stripped of his title and his many business missteps, but that does not negate what I said. I said X and you are addressing A, B and C -- apples and oranges and they say.

While I am not a big De La Hoya fan and think that he babbles nonsense at times and has lied on more than one occasion, I think folks have to admit that he has had a measure of success as a businessman and at least in this case it made good sense to remain silent of the amount of money he offered.
    You acknowledge he lies but presume he is telling the truth here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
      I think the idea of how you make your money being more important than the overall dollar amount seems to escape many.

Further no one cares if Charlo misses out on money (or any other fighter). Why can't people just be disappointed a fight they wanna see isn't happening without trying to play the blame game.
      Right now if the reason he has not been stepping up is because of money there are a few opportunities now. If he doesn't take them then I don't know what direction his career is going. I want to see him against top fighters at this point of his career. Merely to watch him fight someone doesn't suffice at this point.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that a signed t-shirt from canelo,a $20 coupon to taco bell,and the the opportunity to shove a rolling pin up your bum isn't a lucrative offer Mr. Delahoya.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
          There are very few fighters that are "bosses."
          Who makes the final decision to sign the dotted line? The fighter, or the fighter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Boy Jones Jr. View Post
            Who makes the final decision to sign the dotted line? The fighter, or the fighter?
            You're correct, it's the fighter's decision whether or not to sign a contract with a promoter. Once you sign, you're no longer the boss...unless you're Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

You're correct, it's the fighter's decision whether or not to sign a contract with a promoter. Once you sign, you're no longer the boss...unless you're Floyd Mayweather.
              Once its signed, there is no boss. Just people who have to get paid.

Comment

• PBC is just keeping it real with them they know top shelf guys like Canelo/Jacobs/GGG and even Andrade smoke them so they are content on Milking their clueless fan base for all they can. Gimmicks like "lions only" raaaar! and dressing like rappers keeps their fans distracted but the rest of the boxing community knows what's up. They are still fighting the same quality guys that prospects are fighting and breaking even with their showcase fights like Harrison FFS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boy Jones Jr. View Post
                  Once its signed, there is no boss. Just people who have to get paid.
                  Speaking of "bosses"

Joe Gallagher: Callum Smith will be gutted Canelo Alvarez is looking towards Ryoto Murata fight

There were a couple of super middleweights in Callum Smith and Billy Joe Saunders who were really hoping to punch their ticket to a big fight with Canelo Alvarez next, and neither of them can be very happy with the recent news that Canelo is actually leaning towards Ryoto Murata.

There were a couple of super middleweights in Callum Smith and Billy Joe Saunders who were really hoping to punch their ticket to a big fight with Canelo Alvarez next, and neither of them can be very happy with the recent news that Canelo is actually leaning towards Ryoto Murata.

Smith’s trainer, Joe Gallagher, tells Sky Sports that the news will be very disappointing to his fighter, but also many others in the boxing world.

We can safely say that Canelo is doing what Floyd Mayweather did - he fights who he pleases and everyone just does what he says. Callum will be shocked and gutted, as Billy Joe will be. I don’t think this will go down well in Mexico. We’ve been there with Liam Smith and everybody wanted Canelo vs Callum Smith. Even in Arizona the Mexican people were pushing for Canelo vs Callum.”

With Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn confirming that there haven’t been any substantive discussions on Canelo fighting either Smith or Saunders, the recent reports on Murata seem to carry even more weight.

How many of you would be disappointed by a Canelo-Murata fight, and if it happens should Saunders and Smith not just fight each other instead?

https://www.badlefthook.com/2020/1/2...zn-boxing-news

Comment

Speaking of "bosses"

Joe Gallagher: Callum Smith will be gutted Canelo Alvarez is looking towards Ryoto Murata fight

Smith’s trainer, Joe Gallagher, tells Sky Sports that the news will be very disappointing to his fighter, but also many others in the boxing world.

We can safely say that Canelo is doing what Floyd Mayweather did - he fights who he pleases and everyone just does what he says. Callum will be shocked and gutted, as Billy Joe will be. I don’t think this will go down well in Mexico. We’ve been there with Liam Smith and everybody wanted Canelo vs Callum Smith. Even in Arizona the Mexican people were pushing for Canelo vs Callum.”

With Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn confirming that there haven’t been any substantive discussions on Canelo fighting either Smith or Saunders, the recent reports on Murata seem to carry even more weight.

How many of you would be disappointed by a Canelo-Murata fight, and if it happens should Saunders and Smith not just fight each other instead?

https://www.badlefthook.com/2020/1/2...zn-boxing-news
                    This is the result of the “boxing is a business” mentality from the boxing fan. Whoever was fine with floyd doing it has no right to complain about Canelo doing it, or these fighters today with subpar resumes going into their 30s. Those fans encouraged this type of crap. Thats why this era is trash. Fans who only cared about seeing the best fight the best, knew better and really dont care anymore. At least the boxing is a business type fan can brag about their fighters bank account now.

Comment

If it was only that he kept silent about the amount of money, I would agree, but he also said he did not recall who he spoke with, and that makes me feel even more suspect about his supposedly "very, very amazing offer."
                      Given Oscar's track record with the truth, you might be right, but I find it strange that Charlo has not refuted Oscar's claim of a big-money offer. It makes it look at though he is ducking Canelo, and that is not good for Charlo's brand.

Comment

Working...
                      X