Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo Vacates WBO Light Heavyweight Title; Reign Lasts 6 Weeks

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo Vacates WBO Light Heavyweight Title; Reign Lasts 6 Weeks

Canelo Alvarez's reign as WBO light heavyweight champion didn't even last two months. In a statement released Tuesday morning by Golden Boy Promotions, Alvarez announced that he has vacated the WBO's 175-pound championship. The Mexican icon won that title by knocking out Sergey Kovalev in the 11th round of their November 2 fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

[Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 12-17-2019, 11:17 AM.

Because he’s fighting Saunders at 168 for the WBO 168 title, so has agreed to drop the 175 to sanction the 168 fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
      I figured this. Now its back to 168 to fight Smith or BJS in England.

Comment

Whos up next for the WBO at 175?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          I figured this. Now its back to 168 to fight Smith or BJS in England.
          Canelo ain’t fighting in England.

I know he says he wants to fight in other places, but the numbers don’t really add up.

The gate money at Wembley for AJ v Wlad wasn’t even half of what Canelo makes in Vegas, despite there being 4x more people attending.

Completely different pricing structure. Your average UK fan won’t pay Vegas prices to watch a fight in the UK.

So he can say it, but once they look at the numbers, he won’t go the UK.

DAZN have also made it clear they prefer USA fights because of the fight time. UK fight time is too early in the day for DAZN USA.

Comment

97K - "154-175, anybody can get it". Does nothing.

Canelo - Hold my water bottle.

It's going to be Saunders or Smith at 168.

Comment

Canelo has won titles in all these different weight classes, but never once has he proven he's the best fighter in a division. What a joke

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                Canelo ain’t fighting in England.

I know he says he wants to fight in other places, but the numbers don’t really add up.

The gate money at Wembley for AJ v Wlad wasn’t even half of what Canelo makes in Vegas, despite there being 4x more people attending.

Completely different pricing structure. Your average UK fan won’t pay Vegas prices to watch a fight in the UK.

So he can say it, but once they look at the numbers, he won’t go the UK.

DAZN have also made it clear they prefer USA fights because of the fight time. UK fight time is too early in the day for DAZN USA.
                Ok, I see your point. I guess if he fights either on Cinco de Mayoand Mexican Independence day it wouldn't make sense.

Maybe he fights GGG in September and then goes to England in December.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 12-17-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Comments Thread For: Canelo Vacates WBO Light Heavyweight Title; Reign Lasts 6 Weeks

Canelo Alvarez's reign as WBO light heavyweight champion didn't even last two months. In a statement released Tuesday morning by Golden Boy Promotions, Alvarez announced that he has vacated the WBO's 175-pound championship. The Mexican icon won that title by knocking out Sergey Kovalev in the 11th round of their November 2 fight at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

[Click Here To Read More]

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    Ok, I see your point. I guess if he fights either on Cinco de Mayoand Mexican Independence day it wouldn't make sense.

Maybe he fight GGG in September and then goes to England in December.
                    I could see him fighting in England, for a lesser profile fight, a bit like the Rocky Fielding one that happened in New York. It wouldn’t surprise me if he did something like that to squeeze a 3rd fight in at the end of a year. Maybe a tickover fight and nice little earner against Ryder or someone.

I’d imagine DAZN and Golden Boy will want to get their two big USA dates in every year for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X