No announcement yet.

FOX is promoting the hell out of the Wilder vs Ortiz 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
    They paid him 10 mil for the Breazeale fight. They lost money because it was a fight not worth that. They were hoping a Joshua-Wilder fight would happen so took the hit. But then Ruiz happened.
    Once again, tell me how they were going to make money on that fight?

Was it worth paying Wilder 10M? Nope, but that's a different discussion. You said they lost money, well, tell me how networks make money off these fights in the first place, especially these high pursed events?

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
      Once again, tell me how they were going to make money on that fight?

Was it worth paying Wilder 10M? Nope, but that's a different discussion. You said they lost money, well, tell me how networks make money off these fights in the first place, especially these high pursed events?
      How do TV channels make money? Subs and ads. That fight will not have made money to cover the purses.

Comment

How do TV channels make money? Subs and ads. That fight will not have made money to cover the purses.
        LOL, which fights cover "the purses" then? That fight could have done 2M in viewership and not "made money" or covered the purses. End of the day, SHO had money left in their budget to put an extra show late in the year showing the Wilder/Breazeale fight didn't hurt them.....And it could have been different if that fight prevented them from putting on better or more cards, but that was not the case.

Again, they would have almost certainly lost money on this PPV if they aired it. Even if they didn't take on the entire guaranteed purses, it would have been hard to break even. So you can make that argument for them not wanting to air it...But losing money on the Breazeale fight? No.

Comment

With the way things are going, showtime seems to have made the right choice by dropping this fight.

Comment

LOL, which fights cover "the purses" then? That fight could have done 2M in viewership and not "made money" or covered the purses. End of the day, SHO had money left in their budget to put an extra show late in the year showing the Wilder/Breazeale fight didn't hurt them.....And it could have been different if that fight prevented them from putting on better or more cards, but that was not the case.

Again, they would have almost certainly lost money on this PPV if they aired it. Even if they didn't take on the entire guaranteed purses, it would have been hard to break even. So you can make that argument for them not wanting to air it...But losing money on the Breazeale fight? No.
            Overpaying for a fight didn't hurt them? What planet are you on? Just handing out millions doesn't hurt them.

Comment

Why the hell is this fight ppv?!

Comment

Overpaying for a fight didn't hurt them? What planet are you on? Just handing out millions doesn't hurt them.
                Um, I'm on the planet that they still had money left in their budget and got to sneak in the Davis/Gamboa card before years end.

This would have been a big problem if they lost out on fights they wanted or had to cut down a card or two from their original plans. But since they weren't getting the high quality fights they got in 2017 and 2018, overpaying for that fight didn't become a big problem or anything. I mean they were still battling hard for the Ortiz fight. The flaw in your original statement was about how they lost so much money on a non-PPV fight.

Comment

i think it will do 1.4 to 1.6 million buys

Comment

Um, I'm on the planet that they still had money left in their budget and got to sneak in the Davis/Gamboa card before years end.

This would have been a big problem if they lost out on fights they wanted or had to cut down a card or two from their original plans. But since they weren't getting the high quality fights they got in 2017 and 2018, overpaying for that fight didn't become a big problem or anything. I mean they were still battling hard for the Ortiz fight. The flaw in your original statement was about how they lost so much money on a non-PPV fight.
                    They did lose money. If they lose money on a PPV fight or a non PPV fight they still lost money. Paying 10 mil for a fight that doesn't bring in big ratings is lost money how can it not be? You're crazy.

Comment

fox isnt paying for that. some real geniuses on this board

Comment

Working...
                      X