Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Merchant: Canelo Would Be Vulnerable Against Other 175 Champs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Merchant: Canelo Would Be Vulnerable Against Other 175 Champs

Hall of Fame analyst Larry Merchant was in Las Vegas on November 2nd for Canelo Alvarez's 11th round knockout victory over Sergey Kovalev. With the victory Alvarez captured the WBO light heavyweight title and became a champion in a 4th weight class.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I don't see any other 175lber being able to have success against Canelo from the outside the way Kovalev did.

If Canelo can neutralize their other attributes, he may even have an easier time throughout the fight then having to deal with Kovalev's jab. Although, the risk of getting knocked out is bigger if he isn't defensively responsible and sharp because Bivol and Beterbiev are stronger and more aggressive.

I wouldn't say they punch harder then Kovalev though. Kovalev just couldn't land power shots against Canelo because he was too sharp and was bothered by counters earlier in the fight. Their styles are just more dangerous as they are younger, fresher, with more hunger. Canelo could possibly be up on the cards by a wider margin by the end of the fight then was the case against Kovalev believe it or not.
    Last edited by lolpz; 11-13-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

It must be a slow news day. Larry Merchant said this over 10 days ago and was reported a dozen times on this and other boxing sites.

Comment

I think Beterbiev and Bivol can beat Canelo and he will fight at 168 because he has trouble making 160. Saunders looked terrible beating boxrec number 43. I think Canelo will fight Saunders next and knock him out.

Comment

Canelo Would Be Vulnerable Against Other 175 Champs
          ...because they won't be bribed as easily as Krusher.

Comment

How many other fighters are jumping up two weight classes and winning a belt? Especially making the jump from 160 lbs in their previous fight to 175 lbs?

Way to accentuate the negative, Larry Merchant. But then again that was always your style.

Comment

Well yeah. It’s not his weight class.

Canelo is brilliant. I don’t know how you can be a fan of boxing and not a fan of Canelo.

I’m confident he will fight all the best fighters of this generation from 160-168. He’s got Saunders and Smith right there for him over the next 18 months.

Then he’s got
              Benavidez if he keeps winning and Ramirez. All will be big events.

Saunders isn’t much of an attraction but the others are big events. Especially if Canelo comes over here to fight Smith it’s a huge stadium fight.

Light heavy doesn’t really have the star power. Bivol moving down seems to be on the cards too. 168 is entertaining. Plant’s there too. Eubank is an interesting fighter too.

Comment

Like Canelo but I have never seen anything like this. So Canelo goes up to 175 and KO’s Sergey Kovalev.

From Canelo’s man fan’s and his management’s perspective the fight wasn’t at all fixed and Sergey was as good as he ever was.

It has even been stated by Golden Boy Sergey was the best fighter at 175?

Yet some how the Man fan’s and Team Canelo don’t believe he needs to fight the other best fighters at any weight class from 160 - 175.

I think we have seen enough smoke and mirrors in his career to know something isn’t right here.

Golden boy is shady and I don’t put the fight fix out of the realm of possibility.

They have done everything else including having the WBC label him a Franchise champion and increase the limits of clenbuterol allowed in ones system.

They are puppeting the sport and there should be asterisks all over Canelo’s career. It’s a shame because the guy can fight.

Comment

beterbiev would beat alvarez easily. he can't be bought probably so they'll avoid beterbiev. anybody who has seen kov fight recently knows damn well he took the money 'n run. same with angulo/alvarez fight. watch angulo's pitty pat body shots against ginger early in the fight. pathetic.

Comment

I have another headline.

Biterbiev would be vulnerable fighting Cruiserweights

Comment

Working...
                    X