Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone misses Bert Sugar (RIP)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During an argument, Bert Sugar jabbed a lit cigar into Bob Arum's face multiple times. They got into a scuffle and had to be broken up by security. You can still see the scars on Bob's face to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Deontay Wilder View Post
      During an argument, Bert Sugar jabbed a lit cigar into Bob Arum's face multiple times. They got into a scuffle and had to be broken up by security. You can still see the scars on Bob's face to this day.
      I never knew that...thats funny

Comment

I remember he was the analyst for the broadcast of Hearns-Duran at Caesar's Palace (when they held outdoor bouts in the parking lot). During a prelim, a fighter pranced into the ring with a huge ghetto blaster on his shoulders, showcasing his steps before fighter introductions. To which Sugar quipped, "I hope he boxes better than he dances." Sure enough, within a few rounds that fighter was flattened by one punch.

In the main event after the first knock down, Sugar commented on Duran, "This is a brave man." He knew Duran couldn't cope with Tommy's reach, speed, and crushing power. But he also knew Duran would go out on his shield rather than get a on bicycle for 12 rounds.

Comment

For sure.

I love listening to him speak. Wise old man.

He loved Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
            I loved just watching/listening to Burt Sugar. There aren't many historians left anymore.
            Yeah same here, he had a voice that demanded you listen carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Jalen Rose View Post
              Harold Lederman comes to mind...not boxing but I also miss Bud Collins who would do some good historical stories in tennis...there isn't really a great boxing mind out there right now that really stands out unfortunately, as a historian that is.
              Manny Steward as well...

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                Manny Steward as well...
                Yes for sure...he was actually one of the few color commentators in any sport that I liked.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                  I used to love the stories he used to tell about all the old fighters and old fights. Especially Ray Robinson.

Its hard for me to think about the Top ATGs withought thinking of him and his perspective of all the older fighters vs the current fighters (before he passed)

When i first got into boxing i felt like Bert was Boxing..... Him and that cigar....talking about all the fighters and moments that shaped the sport.

Any other boxing personalities or trainers yall miss hearing?
                  - -Hat & Cigar Act for rubes.

Comment

Bert Sugar was the biggest con job of all the journalist.

He dressed like the 1930s and talked about dempsy and all this chit but you realize he was 20 years old in 1956.

He acts like he was there for all that chit ring side. Its all bullchit. He read the same newspaper clippings and watched the same film clips that everyone else has.

Comment

Originally posted by KillaMane26 View Post
                      I used to love the stories he used to tell about all the old fighters and old fights. Especially Ray Robinson.

Its hard for me to think about the Top ATGs withought thinking of him and his perspective of all the older fighters vs the current fighters (before he passed)

When i first got into boxing i felt like Bert was Boxing..... Him and that cigar....talking about all the fighters and moments that shaped the sport.

Any other boxing personalities or trainers yall miss hearing?

You do the math and Bert Sugar was a fraud. He was approximately 6-7 years old when Robinson was fighting his first 3 or so fights with Lamotta.

He wasnt fuking there. He wasnt even aware of what the fuk was happening in the world. He was a 6 year old child.

Comment

Working...
                      X