Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Formet Soviet school of boxing now the most effective?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Formet Soviet school of boxing now the most effective?

These guys seem at the very top of the sport in both the amateur’s and the pro’s.

It reminds of when the American school of boxing was dominating both the amateur’s and pro’s in late 70’s and 80’s.
    Last edited by RJJ-94-02=GOAT; 10-20-2019, 02:59 PM.

There's currently 3 EE boxers to 3 Americans on ring's p4p and America holds more titles by double digits.

What ex-soviet domination? They get a handful of good fighters and it's equal to the 70s domination? exaggerate much there bud?

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily say more effective, but it is coming closer to parity. I would say however that the style used by Loma and Usyk isn't really representative of classic Soviet styling, but more a result - I think - of Anatoly drawing influences from a variety of sources to come up something a bit unique.

Comment

America has more world champions than any other country currently.

And the Mexican style is just as effective in the pros as the former Soviet school. If not more so...Salido did beat Lomachenko after all. Golovkin even tried to adopt it.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
          These guys seem at the very top of the sport in both the amateur’s and the pro’s.

It reminds of when the American school of boxing was dominating both the amateur’s and pro’s in late 70’s and 80’s.
          Gone a few years too early with the thread, not enough adequate examples to back up your claims.

The floodgates are open though. The landscape is hell of a lot better for these guys to go pro than even 5 years ago. I think its vital people like Golovkin stick around after they retire to ensure what happened to him, early in his career, doesn't happen to the waves coming through.

Comment

It is. People are forgetting to count the Cubans.

Comment

Cuba doesn't get ex-soviets any closer to having more of anything than America does alone let alone western style boxing....btw shane, not all commies are soviets.

Today, you can combine all the commies, former commies and present commies, soviet or just commy, makes no difference, America alone still has more champions and ties for p4p greatness at worst. Combining all commies of any form and comparing them to the combined capitalist states in boxing would be a crazy landslide in favor of capitalism.

Y'all're reaching very far with this ****. Should just be happy to dominate LHW and CW. Got a sprinkle of champs outside those two divisions and all of a sudden the dominant form of boxing isn't the one that's got the majority of champions and p4p fighters.

Comment

It's definitely up there but it does have it's flaws. Very hard to judge because their amateurs stay in the amateurs for like a decade before turning pro. I'm not even sure how they go about doing that, like are these guys working part time jobs, getting assistance from their government or what. You don't see that in these other countries because it's not a viable option, like a Wilder for example had a family to support.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                  There's currently 3 EE boxers to 3 Americans on ring's p4p and America holds more titles by double digits.

What ex-soviet domination? They get a handful of good fighters and it's equal to the 70s domination? exaggerate much there bud?
                  You need to read my OP properly...

I didn’t say domination, I said the Americans used to dominate. I said they are at the very top of the sport both am and pro which they are.

Could/will they dominate in future decades? Possibly...

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                    Gone a few years too early with the thread, not enough adequate examples to back up your claims.

The floodgates are open though. The landscape is hell of a lot better for these guys to go pro than even 5 years ago. I think its vital people like Golovkin stick around after they retire to ensure what happened to him, early in his career, doesn't happen to the waves coming through.
                    FTR, I don’t think they are dominating the pro’s by any stretch yet, but they are completely dominating the amateur circuit atm. And now you have guys like GGG, Loma, Usyk etc making it an attractive proposition to turn pro.

I’m unsure whether any other nation(s) will be able to keep up with the talent and production of these former Soviet nations.

Comment

Working...
                    X