Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest changes in Boxing if/when the UFC/WME comes in? Sanctioning Bodies dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
    PBC isn't being sold; the piece of PBC that was purchased by Waddell & Reid with that initial seed money (no one knows for sure but word is that W&R put up at least $500m to get in business with Haymon) is the only thing that's being talked about, and even then it's not like Haymon/W&R went soliciting for a sale.

PBC is a joint TV brand for fighters under Haymon's management and affiliated parties, with Showtime/CBS and Fox Sports keeping with the general PBC look but tweaking the presentation for their own tastes.

WME-IMG (Endeavor) being a minority partner in the PBC TV brand (with Haymon keeping his fighters under his management company and the broadcasters controlling the presentation) won't change as much as you think (better production on some of the extra content, maybe).

WME buying Top Rank would be interesting though; in the sense that Top Rank Boxing could still be an add-on to the UFC on ESPN after the current deal is up (Top Rank hasn't really delivered much value as a standalone property yet), and that you can pretty easily fold in the Top Rank library and content into the UFC's Fight Pass service.
    Waddell & Reid initially invested in "Haymon Sports" (not in PBC, which isn't even a company)... So, if Waddell & Reid is selling (its participation in "Haymon Sports") to Endeavor, then Endeavor gets a stake in "Haymon Sports"... It's simple...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/*******...iter-john-nash

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      This is one f#cking guy who's largely controlling this & they got some weird ass "suggestion" way of moving guys up & down rankings. I was high on them at one point myself. Idc if it "makes sense" today or not.

ESPN rankings "make sense" than ABC Groups too, but those are basically Fat Dan's rankings.

I think you just write out a top ten monthly among a hundred or two boxing people & then do some math to come up with the top ten.
      That's what I thought the TBRB was, a bunch of Boxing media members who write up a top 10 every month (or so) which they compile together. One guy largely controls it? I'll read up on them some more, but the concept itself is noble (for lack of a better word)... better than anything the sanctioning orgs have to offer (pure contrivance).

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
        That's what I thought the TBRB was, a bunch of Boxing media members who write up a top 10 every month (or so) which they compile together. One guy largely controls it? I'll read up on them some more, but the concept itself is noble (for lack of a better word)... better than anything the sanctioning orgs have to offer (pure contrivance).
        Yea its a cat who does articles here iirc. Believe his name is Cliff Rold(?). He was just on some podcast I listen to a week or two ago talking about the process. I don't think that's how you wanna do rankings. Sounds like a kind dictatorship way of voting.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          Waddell & Reid initially invested in "Haymon Sports" (not in PBC, which isn't even a company)... So, if Waddell & Reid is selling (its participation in "Haymon Sports") to Endeavor, then Endeavor gets a stake in "Haymon Sports"... It's simple...

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/*******...iter-john-nash
          Haymon Sports is the corporate name for PBC and the rest of the side projects tied to PBC (production assets for the side programming, likely the pass through for the international TV, etc). No different than Zuffa being the actual name on the corporate documents and charter instead of the UFC.

If you honestly think that Al Haymon rolled his near 20-year management business into this new TV marketing effort (instead of keeping the businesses separate, as he's done with every other effort he's ever undertaken), I'd earnestly question your thought process.

I don't have firsthand information on any of this, but the general understanding on this matter from what's been made public is that W&R fronted Al Haymon a sizable bit of money (allegedly 1% of their fund; the hard amount has been said to be anywhere from $500m-$800m) for a piece of the PBC effort (Haymon Sports is the corporate parent name), with Haymon paying a piece of his management fee (the exact amount is unknown, but it could be as much as the full fee) to W&R as a sweetener for the deal.

Didn't think this was that complicated to sort out, but oh well

Comment

Originally posted by USMCer View Post
            This new group, the Transnational Boxing Ranking Board seems too have objectivity in what they do. They're not a "sanctioning org." They don't tax the Boxer for their recognition/rankings/belts. They're an all-volunteer organization made up of 50 members from 20 countries/5 continents of Boxing journalists.
            Mission Statement: The Transnational Boxing Rankings Board was formed in October 2012 as a volunteer initiative to provide boxing with authoritative top-ten rankings, identify the singular world champion of every division by strict reasoning and common sense, and to insist on the sport’s reform. Board membership includes fifty respected boxing journalists and record keepers from around the world who are uncompromised by so-called sanctioning bodies and promoters.

Everyone, take a look at their Rankings (here) and tell me that they're not more reasonable than any of the "sanctioning bodies" Rankings. They make sense. They're understandable.
            Heavyweights:
            Ruiz at #1 is laughable, and Dillian Whyte being rated above Ortiz/Pulev/Povetkin is pretty silly too.

Cruiserweight:
            No real complaints (order of top 5 is subjective)

Light heavyweight:

Super middleweight:
            Eubank Jr at #3 is ridiculous, Plant and Benevidez being #6/#7 is about just as ridiculous, and Canelo knocking off ****ing Rocky Fielding shouldn't put him into the top 10 at 168lbs.

Middleweight:
            Will argue that Charlo is better than #4 and Andrade better than #7, and that Brant is overrated at #5, tbh.

Junior middleweight:
            No real complaints

Welterweight:
            No real complaints (Don't know #8 enough to have an opinion, and can't say much for Thurman's placement due to his inactivity).

Super lightweight:
            No real complaints

Lightweight:
            No real complaints (Pedraza is a bit high)

Super featherweight:
            No real complaints

Featherweight:
            No real complaints

Super bantamweight:
            No real complaints

Bantamweight:
            No real complaints

**Don't know enough for any lower**

10 out of 13; not bad at all

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              I'm just saying idk want state commissions doing rankings & all the rankings groups out there are flawed or limited in their scope right now.

You'd basically need to create a boxing writers poll or something with lotsa people to avoid potentially corrupt mfers from having too much power.
              Except you won't see a writers poll; if anything, with the forced death of the sanctioning organizations, with the fears of monopolies and the Muhammad Ali Act already in the books, you're far more likely to an export of the BBBoC ending up here, with the weight of the feds backing whatever championship gets established.

The Association of Boxing Commissions will back the belts (hope against hope that Nevada, California, New York, Texas, and New Jersey step forward to lead the effort with competence/experience), national champions will take claim, and having a common standard for world honors would be even tougher.

There are a lot of unknown unknowns to ponder here

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu
                Haymon Sports is the corporate name for PBC and the rest of the side projects tied to PBC (production assets for the side programming, likely the pass through for the international TV, etc). No different than Zuffa being the actual name on the corporate documents and charter instead of the UFC.

If you honestly think that Al Haymon rolled his near 20-year management business into this new TV marketing effort (instead of keeping the businesses separate, as he's done with every other effort he's ever undertaken), I'd earnestly question your thought process.

I don't have firsthand information on any of this, but the general understanding on this matter from what's been made public is that W&R fronted Al Haymon a sizable bit of money (allegedly 1% of their fund; the hard amount has been said to be anywhere from $500m-$800m) for a piece of the PBC effort (Haymon Sports is the corporate parent name), with Haymon paying a piece of his management fee (the exact amount is unknown, but it could be as much as the full fee) to W&R as a sweetener for the deal.

Didn't think this was that complicated to sort out, but oh well
                Actually you wouldn't have question my thought process... In the late '90s, I worked as analyst and PR officer at the Bucharest Stock Exchange...

... and again: PBC (which is a TV series, therefore a "product") is not a "legal entity" -- i.e. PBC is not a corporate body so incorporated and registered with the state authorities....

Comment

Sanctioning bodies (WBC, WBO, IBF, etc) has a worldwide network of boxers under local sanctioning bodies (PABA, NABF, etc). UFC and PBC do not have this.

Comment

Heavyweights:
                    Ruiz at #1 is laughable, and Dillian Whyte being rated above Ortiz/Pulev/Povetkin is pretty silly too.

Cruiserweight:

Light heavyweight:

Super middleweight:
                    Eubank Jr at #3 is ridiculous, Plant and Benevidez being #6/#7 is about just as ridiculous, and Canelo knocking off ****ing Rocky Fielding shouldn't put him into the top 10 at 168lbs.

Middleweight:
                    Will argue that Charlo is better than #4 and Andrade better than #7, and that Brant is overrated at #5, tbh.

Junior middleweight:
                    No real complaints

Welterweight:
                    No real complaints (Don't know #8 enough to have an opinion, and can't say much for Thurman's placement due to his inactivity).

10 out of 13; not bad at all
                    Good feedback.
                    Not to debate the matter, but to hear you're reasoning... why is Dillian Whyte above those guys so silly?

More based on the "eyeball test" or in terms of recent resume or what?

Comment

They will have them box in the small MMA gloves

Comment

Working...
                      X