Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real question, is AJ simply overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daggum View Post
    they gifted him a gold medal when he was clearly beaten in a couple fights there. then he built up a pretty good resume but then again the division is pure crap. this ruiz fight looked like the ams all over for him
    Was he also gifted the silver at the world championships?

He probably lost to the Cuban guy in the first fight at the olympics but he threw a lot of punches to get the home decision most olympians get. And from there, he won comfortably until the finals.

I won't even call the final a gift because he beat the guy a year earlier at the world championships. But he did enough in the last round to win.

I've watched the fight again and in as much as he was off all week and wasn't mentally there when the fight started, he actually had a lot of success in the first two rounds and in the 3rd rd before he lunged forward and tried to get Ruiz out of there. He was winning when he fought behind his jab despite the fact that his jab wasn't stiff enough. So that's something he can take into the rematch and I believe he'll beat Ruiz.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
      I still say he is better than Wilder. Wilder`s time to get stopped just hasn`t come yet.
      Possibly, i put them around the same level but i always felt Wilder would beat him. But just because Ruiz did, doesn’t automatically mean Wilder would. I just think he would

For me Fury is a notch above the rest, with Wilder still being the most dangerous by far, which gives him a chance v Fury or anybody.

In terms of ability, Fury stands alone right now. Obviously Usyk has tons of ability but can’t count him as a HW yet.

Comment

Klit Bros....do you miss us yet?

Comment

After that KO I have to say that many people overrated Joshua. He was numer 1 in the world for some time but far from unbeatable.

Comment

is juichua overrated? is water wet?

Comment

Originally posted by BangEM View Post
              Was he also gifted the silver at the world championships?

He probably lost to the Cuban guy in the first fight at the olympics but he threw a lot of punches to get the home decision most olympians get. And from there, he won comfortably until the finals.

I won't even call the final a gift because he beat the guy a year earlier at the world championships. But he did enough in the last round to win.

I've watched the fight again and in as much as he was off all week and wasn't mentally there when the fight started, he actually had a lot of success in the first two rounds and in the 3rd rd before he lunged forward and tried to get Ruiz out of there. He was winning when he fought behind his jab despite the fact that his jab wasn't stiff enough. So that's something he can take into the rematch and I believe he'll beat Ruiz.

The worry for AJ in the rematch or going forward in his career is does he now become overly cautious and lose something?

Many believe he changed his style after the Wlad fight and become more cautious. Maybe that’s smart but if we’re being honest, AJ is not some master technician, so i think if he gets even more cautious from now on, it’ll only be to his detriment and make him easier to beat.

The Wlad fight definitely took something out of him mentally, so who knows what this one did. It was a systematic beating by the end.

Some fighters just never recover from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksfan View Post
                After that KO I have to say that many people overrated Joshua. He was numer 1 in the world for some time but far from unbeatable.
                And which heavyweight champ except Marciano was unbeatable?

So al champs were overrated?

Comment

Originally posted by ARSEBOLLOCKS View Post
                  No disrespect to AJ fans but I think this is a fair question.
                  But please - Don't shoot the messenger, I got nothing to do with his TKO loss.
                  I told people for years he was.

Fury is the man to beat and is levels above the rest, wilder has no skill only power, and AJ has bricks for feet and is too basic and textbook to beat skilled fighters. These narratives are old and factual.

Wilder/AJ was always about who was second best, at best. If you still thought AJ was special after he got tossed around the ring by Wlad and barely made it out with his life, a fighter Fury schooled and made look silly, you don't really understand boxing. At all.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
                    The worry for AJ in the rematch or going forward in his career is does he now become overly cautious and lose something?

Many believe he changed his style after the Wlad fight and become more cautious. Maybe that’s smart but if we’re being honest, AJ is not some master technician, so i think if he gets even more cautious from now on, it’ll only be to his detriment and make him easier to beat.

The Wlad fight definitely took something out of him mentally, so who knows what this one did. It was a systematic beating by the end.

Some fighters just never recover from that.
                    He tried to please the crowd and chase glory, look at where that got him when the pressure became unbearable. When you know you have certain flaws, you just have to do things to mask those flaws.

Look at Fury's career, he used to be rocked a lot because he was too lazy to keep his guard up and he never had knockout power. So what did he do? He changed his style and started tap dancing around. It's boring but it took him to where he's today.

Honestly, he has power in both hands. If he can sort out his conditioning and shed muscle mass, develop a stiff jab and learn how to fight behind the jab, while being patient and also tidy up his defence, he'll be alright.

He wasn't brutally knockout, he was concussed and ran out of gas. He just needs to get himself together, get a better coach and conditioning, and with hunger, he'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeTheBoxer View Post
                      I still say he is better than Wilder. Wilder`s time to get stopped just hasn`t come yet.
                      It came and went with Ortiz. AJ wouldn't of survived that off the evidence of last night.

Comment

Working...
                      X