Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real question, is AJ simply overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARSEBOLLOCKS View Post
    I didn’t realize he only had 50 amateur fights. If you think about it he is still reasonably inexperienced
    A lot of them were at a very high level though. Multiple time ABA champion, World Championship, European’s, Olympics etc.

AJ has always been a vulnerable fighter stylistically, that’s what makes him so exciting. He’s a kill or be killed type

Comment

A loss certainly means you have to re-evaluate where you rate him.

However, I don't think he's overrated at all. You judge a fighter by the strength of his resume and his resume is still the strongest in the division.

He's got question marks over his defence now which wasn't really there before. Everybody already knew his chin and stamina were weaknesses, so we've learned nothing new.

It was just an awful performance, possibly attributed to getting concussed in the 3rd. But if he wasn't concussed then it's even worse, he got complacent and didn't take Ruiz serious.

Comment

YES! I've posted many of times that in this ERA they ALL ARE!

Proof that fans know that most of these fighters are overrated? Fans are blaming the Marination Process instead of the fighters themselves for not taking care of business. "Marination Process" did not beat AJ last night....Andy Ruiz Did!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          Of course he was so many idiots posting about his boxing skills like he was the heavyweight Pernell Whitaker and saying stupid **** like Lennox Lewis was jealous of his career

You know exactly who you are
          Lewis was not jealous of his career. He was jealous of the love Joshua was getting in the UK. He is more popular than Lewis ever was yet he hasn't accomplished nearly as much. Lewis was a great fighter but he's petty when it comes to Joshua, always has been.

Comment

they gifted him a gold medal when he was clearly beaten in a couple fights there. then he built up a pretty good resume but then again the division is pure crap. this ruiz fight looked like the ams all over for him

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
              Yes.

His best win was against a 40+ year old Wlad who was coming off a loss in which he looked awful and an 18 month layoff. And prior to getting schooled by Fury he failed to KO Bryant Jennings, who was in turn KO'd by Ortiz just a few months later.

Klitschko was shot and he still almost knocked Joshua out.

Who's his next best win? A shot Povetkin after they took his PEDs away? Pillowfisted Joe Parker?
              Not to mention Joshua's big wins all got beat better right after. Takam was an awful UK stoppage, then Chisora brutalizes him. AJ fails to knock down Parker, then Whyte does. Goes 7 with Breazelle, Wilder takes his soul in 120 seconds.

Comment

He's not overrated. He just had a bad day in office and went into a new territory unprepared with so much pressure on his shoulders. He couldn't deal with it and crumbled under the bright lights. When someone looks lost under bright lights, it's a disaster waiting to happen and it has happened to the best of them.

He needs to shake things up, be his normal mean self and throw the humble/nice guy in the bushes. Josh has always been his best he goes into a fight with a mean streak with hunger.

I still think he has been rushed in his career and he achieved so much too early and crumbled when it mattered most. Hearn is a shrewd operator and for a guy who struggles with short fighters, Ruiz is the most terrible match up you can put infront of him.

Anyway, he's still a success story and a good role model for achieving so much 10 years after picking up the gloves. He has made so much money and he'll never struggle again in his life. Bless the guy and I hope he comes back stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
                  Lewis was not jealous of his career. He was jealous of the love Joshua was getting in the UK. He is more popular than Lewis ever was yet he hasn't accomplished nearly as much. Lewis was a great fighter but he's petty when it comes to Joshua, always has been.
                  I think Lennox was also jealous Josh achieved so much so early faster than he did. I don't think Lennox won a title until his 27th or 28th fight and subsequently, he got brutally knocked out by McCall.

When you also look at the both of them, everything Josh is getting killed for now: no head movement, chinny, no defence, soft, etc. Lennox was critiqued for the same thing at this stage of his career. And it only changed after he linked up with Emanuel Steward and discover that stiff jab he turned into a big weapon. Wlad also went through the same thing and Emanuel Steward saved his career.

Josh will have to go find his own Emanuel Steward from somewhere and probably move to the US and rebuild.

Comment

I still say he is better than Wilder. Wilder`s time to get stopped just hasn`t come yet.

Comment

He’s a good fighter that never had the talent to match his fame and stardom. Fair play to him though, he made an incredible amount of money without being a truly exceptional fighter. I’ll never knock anyone for that.

It was always going to come down one day. Just most people like myself thought it’d be someone like Fury, Wilder or Usyk or someone like that who did it, not Andy Ruiz.

On the flip-side, lets not make out AJ is some sort of bum. He’s beaten some solid fighters and is a good fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X