Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better resume: Naoya Inoue or "Gallo" Estrada?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lieutenant View Post
    Most would agree that a 36 yr old past prime Donaire will be Inoue's toughest opponent so far in his career. That speaks for itself. In my eyes he hasn't been tested, and for that reason I cannot rate him above fighters who have.

My whole point is we should be giving fighters like Canelo and GGG more credit for fighting each other, instead of rewarding fighters who haven't stepped up to the plate and ranking them above fighters who have taken on a real challenge. All based on the "eye test".

And btw, very few people are calling Canelo p4p #1 even after he tamed GGG in that first fight and broke his face in the 2nd.
    Understand I ain't got a problem with you choosing to rank fighters how you please, the problem comes when you start saying that yours is the only rational way - and then furthermore back it up with pejoratives like 'tomato cans' as if you imagine that strengthens your case. Simple fact is you're using subjective opinion and the views of other 'eye test' dudes who decided that certain fighters' wins were worth more or less too - you're just doing it at a stage removed if that makes sense.

Simple fact is there is no precise calculus that tells us whether a blowout win over a one fighter should be counted more highly than a close disputed win or loss over a more highly regarded one... well there's the Boxrec rankings of course (- I mean that is quite literally a comparison of resumes - but it's still fallible human beings who devised the algorithms) but everyone thinks that's shit too.

I mean - here's a ponder for you - say I believed Andre Ward was a top P4P fighter before the super 6 and should be ranked above the likes of Kessler, Froch or Abraham given that P4P is simply the answer to the question 'who would win if they were the same weight?' Would that have been a rational claim based on looking at their resumes? I would say not. Would it have been correct? Most would say - in hindsight - yes. See where I'm going?

Listen... what it boils down to is that I think P4P is nonsense and people calling good fighters stuff like 'tomato cans' and 'bums' or whatever rubs me the wrong the way. Whether you think Estrada is a better fighter than Inoue or whatever ain't my issue at all.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 05-27-2019, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Surprise, the guy with over 40 fights has a better resume than the guy with less than 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Understand I ain't got a problem with you choosing to rank fighters how you please, the problem comes when you start saying that yours is the only rational way - and then furthermore back it up with pejoratives like 'tomato cans' as if you imagine that strengthens your case. Simple fact is you're using subjective opinion and the views of other 'eye test' dudes who decided that certain fighters' wins were worth more or less too - you're just doing it at a stage removed if that makes sense.

Simple fact is there is no precise calculus that tells us whether a blowout win over a one fighter should be counted more highly than a close disputed win or loss over a more highly regarded one... well there's the Boxrec rankings of course (- I mean that is quite literally a comparison of resumes - but it's still fallible human beings who devised the algorithms) but everyone thinks that's shit too.

I mean - here's a ponder for you - say I believed Andre Ward was a better fighter than Kessler before they fought, right? Now they're the same weight, OK, so I would be claiming in that case that Ward should - on a P4P list - be ranked above Kessler. Would that have been a rational claim based on looking at their resumes? I would say not. Would it have been correct? Most would say yes. See where I'm going?

Listen... what it boils down to is that I think P4P is nonsense and people calling good fighters stuff like 'tomato cans' and 'bums' or whatever rubs me the wrong the way. Whether you think Estrada is a better fighter than Inoue or whatever ain't my issue at all.

Excellent post
        To each their own
        That’s what makes it interesting and debatable
        If we were all the same it be a boring fughin life

Comment

I believe Estrada has the better record
          But imo Inoue would defeat him

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
            Surprise, the guy with over 40 fights has a better resume than the guy with less than 20.
            Yet there are people arguing otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              Yet there are people arguing otherwise.
              I'd rather just see them fight each other than argue.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
                I'd rather just see them fight each other than argue.
                It would have been nice if Inoue fought Estrada (or Chocolatito or Sor Rungvisai or even Cuadras) during his time at super fly.

He chose the path of least resistance instead, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  It would have been nice if Inoue fought Estrada (or Chocolatito or Sor Rungvisai or even Cuadras) during his time at super fly.

He chose the path of least resistance instead, unfortunately.
                  He moved up specifically for the tournament. Had WBSS not happened at 118, he would have likely stayed at 115 longer. WBSS got him more exposure though, can't deny that.

Comment

i don't know how some of you just make up ****

the truth is, inoue asked to fight chocolatito a couple times, but it was gonzales who avoided it, and opted to take other fights
                    that's well documented in japanese news
                    inoue was ringside for chocolatito rungvisai 1, but we all know what happened
                    and inoue did make a statement after the fight, saying was not that interested anymore in fighting gonzales (a fighter who was on the losing end)
                    afterwards, his team offered yafai and ancajas, but both of them passed

his frustration of getting fights at fly, and the fact his body was growing, made him move up, into this tournament

Comment

ooh that'd be a great fight

Comment

Working...
                      X