Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Per Leon Muhammad, R Garcia hinted that Mikey fighting Spence was a "business decisn"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per Leon Muhammad, R Garcia hinted that Mikey fighting Spence was a "business decisn"

https://youtu.be/EpbeSwq8WRI?t=593

Discuss

I told everyone a dozen times, in fact, MIKEY told everyone. Before the fight was announced Mikey said he was offered money he couldn't turn down for a fight that was "kinda crazy". He couldn't talk about it but was hoping to announce it soon. Then, the Spence fight discussions started.
    It was strictly for the money. And I say that as someone who has been a huge Garcia fan up until this BS.

Comment

I believe it, so mikey was a sacrificial lamb all along. Yet the whole PBC welterweight division stays safe, what a joke. I was never a mikey fan anyways.

Comment

They are pros and they all fight for money. No shame in that. If Mikey didn't try hard to win then there is shame in that. Only Mikey knows if he gave it 100% but it didn't look to me like he did and many others seem to agree.

Comment

Mikey is a sell out whore he never tried to take a chance to win only survive.

Comment

If it was just a business decision, then he would have pushed for the Pacquiao fight right when he signed with the PBC. No, Mikey legitimately thought he could win and he thought he was better than Spence and could take a punch since he spars so many bigger fighters. Well, he proved the latter but underrated Spence's skillset and just couldn't get anything going.

Comment

Originally posted by Longhaul View Post
              Mikey is a sell out whore he never tried to take a chance to win only survive.
              JMM has one of the biggest hearts we have ever seen in boxing. How many chances did you see him take against Floyd, especially in the later rounds? Spoiler alert, not many and it was actually very similar to what happened to Mikey.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                If it was just a business decision, then he would have pushed for the Pacquiao fight right when he signed with the PBC. No, Mikey legitimately thought he could win and he thought he was better than Spence and could take a punch since he spars so many bigger fighters. Well, he proved the latter but underrated Spence's skillset and just couldn't get anything going.
                Maybe the same money wasnt available for Pacquiao. Most likely the only way they could afford to sign Pacquiao after the whole reason he left Arum was Arum didnt think he could make money paying Pacquiao that much is if they get the Mayweather rematch out of that Pacquiao contract. So if they give Mikey the Pac fight instead, and Mikey beats Pac, hypothetically, then May-Pac II is dead, and they lose tons of money on Pacquiao.

Plus I think it was really all about Spence. They didnt pay that money to Mikey for Mikey, they paid it to Mikey as an investment in Spence, an undefeated American welterweight who they want to turn into a PPV star.

So I dont think you can say the fact Mikey fought Spence instead of Pacquiao proves he was daring to be great. On the surface that seems like a good argument but it's probably not that simple. Also pacquiao is old and Mikey's size or smaller so Mikey would have no excuse losing to him. This way, it seems like he planned a double cashout. Get big money to fight Spence at 147, use the size excuse to say it doesnt prove anything and you still deserve a shot at Loma, then get another big payday vs Loma.

Mikey's career has always been a joke. I hope the Loma fight dosnt even happen now. To duck an undisputed P4P #1 fight, go lose every round, but still hold onto your belt, well 1 of them, now it's not even an undisputed fight because Mikey's bull**** move splintered the belts again... this is exactly the type of bull**** Im talking about why we never have "one face one name one champion" per division like fans want and even some fighters, like Wilder, give lip service to, but then boxers advised by his same adviser, Al Haymon, do the opposite with their actions, including most recently, Wilder himself.

It's a joke. That's why I told people all along, PBC = the sport of BUSINESS, HBO/DAZN/ESPN = the sport of BOXING. Stop hyping up boxers who go to PBC, most of the time you will only be disappointed. The guys who want to fight the best go to HBO/DAZN/ESPN. The guys who want to be protected from the best but still make "easy money" vs mismatch opponents go to PBC. At least, that's been my experience watching boxing, in my opinion.

Comment

So they sell out Mikey who has a solid fan base and brought most of the fans and who was more accomplished and with a legacy fight that was winnable for him in Loma in the wings just for Spence to become a bigger star?

Now they’re doing the same but with a washed up, war torn legend in Pacquiao?

Why can’t Haymon make Floyd come out of retirement and fight Spence? That would be the fight to make Spence the star they want!

Smh

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    JMM has one of the biggest hearts we have ever seen in boxing. How many chances did you see him take against Floyd, especially in the later rounds? Spoiler alert, not many and it was actually very similar to what happened to Mikey.
                    Not similar at all as I’ve said before I didn’t expect Mikey to get himself killed once he figured out he had no chance but he took ZERO chances from the opening bell and only fought to survive like a journeyman who gets paid to survive.

Comment

Working...
                    X