No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Ogogo Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Anthony Ogogo Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Probably one of the saddest stories in boxing of recent times. Supposed to be somewhat of a golden boy of boxing (ironically signed with goldenboy), before losing and looking bad and then a detached retina messed the rest up .

I wouldn't say it's one of the saddest stories aside from an unfortunate injury.

He was just another decent amateur that never cut it as a pro. There's been plenty before him and there will be plenty after him in the same boat.

Let's be fair, he was only a supposed golden boy because of his good looks which give him a platform to be on all sorts of adverts and on TV shows after he got a bronze at the Olympics, not because of his boxing ability.

Comment

I'm no fan but I'd say it's a very sad story because he spent so much time and money on surgery that's been totally pointless. All he has to show for all that pain is bills.

Comment

He was never cut out to succeed as a pro.

Over hyped and too many early endorsements without achieving any degree of success.

Comment

Comments Thread For: Anthony Ogogo Announces His Retirement From Boxing

Accepting the end gracefully is part of being a professional athlete. Calling an end to dreams that are left unfulfilled is the hardest part. Life is all about doing your best with the cards you've been dealt; that is what I have done time after time. Sadly, after 7 operations on my eyes in 2 and a half years, I am forced to admit that they are too damaged for me to safely return to the boxing ring. With a heavy heart, I have to retire from professional boxing with my dreams unfulfilled.
          [Click Here To Read More]

Comment

Good luck to him. I feel like I read about this guy but never saw him. Unfortunate situation. It wasn’t meant to be.

Comment

Nobody will be sadder than old Spike

Comment

guy wrote a book as his retirement speech but goodluck to him

Comment

Another case of don't help me brother. He got the hometown edge in the Olympics and should have ended it there. He's not a bad guy, but he was getting beat on all along and that medal just took him into a world of hurt.

Comment

Like many other UK fight fans, I had high hopes for Ogogo following the Olympics. However, signing up for Strictly Come Dancing in the infancy of your career is a poor move. He's appeared on countless trash shows since the Cunningham fight and i'd assumed he had retired.

I always felt he was more interested in getting his name out there and his face on the screen than targeting a World Title.

Good luck in your retirement, i'm sure we'll see you doing punditry on channel 5 for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                    X