Nsb pick em 2019 discussion thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
    ^^^^^

also imo announce winners every week etc....

i think we should incorporate points somehow....

if we bet we gotta throw like 1k pts something like that and only the most correct pick wins it etc....

can make it out more like a competition.
    Definitely good ideas. I did actually tend to announce particular good scores or picks when they came up, to start off with often two or three of the standout players each week or two, or each time I updated the leaderboard, but it did get a bit more sporadic as the year went on. Having all players as part of a usergroup could help make this kind of notification easier too.

In terms of prizes, definitely I'd encourage any players who want to participate in a sweepstake (for points) to do so, and I'm sure we can keep track according to whatever winning conditions are decided, but I'm unwilling to make a points ante obligatory if some players players don't want to. There was even some discussion of a real money stake last year for those who wanted to participate, but again that would have to be a private deal between any players who wanted to do it... though again I'd have no problem keeping scores (or hell even holding escrow if anyone was stupid enough to trust me ).

Further to that I'm gonna to get in touch with one of the guys who run the site to see whether we can arrange for some kind of prize for the overall and possibly category winners - even if it's some fairly inexpensive tat like merchandise, it'd still add some extra buzz to the game. You any ideas who would be best to contact? I was thinking maybe Rold (cos his e-mail was easiest to find) but I'm not really sure that kind of thing would be managing editors job.

That said. If a lot of the players really wanted to have have a points ante I've certainly no objection, though I wouldn't want players with few points to be excluded as a result.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      Definitely good ideas. I did actually tend to announce particular good scores or picks when they came up, to start off with often two or three of the standout players each week or two, or each time I updated the leaderboard, but it did get a bit more sporadic as the year went on. Having all players as part of a usergroup could help make this kind of notification easier too.

In terms of prizes, definitely I'd encourage any players who want to participate in a sweepstake (for points) to do so, and I'm sure we can keep track according to whatever winning conditions are decided, but I'm unwilling to make a points ante obligatory if some players players don't want to. There was even some discussion of a real money stake last year for those who wanted to participate, but again that would have to be a private deal between any players who wanted to do it... though again I'd have no problem keeping scores (or hell even holding escrow if anyone was stupid enough to trust me ).

Further to that I'm gonna to get in touch with one of the guys who run the site to see whether we can arrange for some kind of prize for the overall and possibly category winners - even if it's some fairly inexpensive tat like merchandise, it'd still add some extra buzz to the game. You any ideas who would be best to contact? I was thinking maybe Rold (cos his e-mail was easiest to find) but I'm not really sure that kind of thing would be managing editors job.

That said. If a lot of the players really wanted to have have a points ante I've certainly no objection, though I wouldn't want players with few points to be excluded as a result.
      word

i think you should definitely do points since they hit the reset button on it......

literal you have to pay points in order to "play"

top 3 gets those points etc

Comment

word

i think you should definitely do points since they hit the reset button on it......

literal you have to pay points in order to "play"

top 3 gets those points etc
        Only thing is I don't want to exclude new posters who might not have many points. I know we'd be on much more of a level playing field than we used to be though... it wouldn't have made any sense at all before the reboot.

How many points do new posters start with?

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
          Again, if it is too much work, to hell with it.

But, it would be absolutely brutal the last month of the year.

Fun to watch even if you aren't directly in the running.

Being able to wager 200 points would have had the whole top 10 in play the last few weeks.
          Been thinking a bit more about this idea and I reckon it's a good 'un so I'm figuring on incorporating it (unless too many players object) the single caveat I'd like to make is that you can only stake on a fight where there isn't a wide favourite - say 2/1 on the 'dog or less (maybe even 3/2) - just to make sure you don't get everyone piling 'em on a fight like Fielding - Canelo or GGG - Vanes. You gonna have to earn them points.

Hell, I'm even tempted to make the same stipulation about using regular multipliers - like you can't play a x2 or a x3 on the favourite if there's a multiplier on the underdog or somesuch - I'll have to give that idea some more thought though.
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 01-09-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Only thing is I don't want to exclude new posters who might not have many points. I know we'd be on much more of a level playing field than we used to be though... it wouldn't have made any sense at all before the reboot.

How many points do new posters start with?
            im sure we can work around that so they can start scoring points........

or they can bet on fights and get points that way

Comment

im sure we can work around that so they can start scoring points........

or they can bet on fights and get points that way
              OK I had a quick scout at some of the new users' points and the lowest I can find is a little over 5000 for a dude with about 12 posts, so I wouldn't want to go higher than that whatever way we jump, but I'm still not sure about the logistics or indeed making it a requirement...

What I think I might do is make a list of all players that have contributed to the prize fund - have them donate say 5k points to the PICK EM CREW account and then distribute the points at the end of the year to the highest ranked players / other categories among those who have thrown in points. That shouldn't really be much extra work.

Comment

Been thinking a bit more about this idea and I reckon it's a good 'un so I'm figuring on incorporating it (unless too many players object) the single caveat I'd like to make is that you can only stake on a fight where there isn't a wide favourite - say 2/1 on the 'dog or less (maybe even 3/2) - just to make sure you don't get everyone piling 'em on a fight like Fielding - Canelo or GGG - Vanes. You gonna have to earn them points.

Hell, I'm even tempted to make the same stipulation about using regular multipliers - like you can't play a x2 or a x3 on the favourite if there's a multiplier on the underdog or somesuch - I'll have to give that idea some more thought though.
                Agree.

It aint about just tossing somebody 200 points.

It's got to involve the skill of making that perfect pick to get the wagered points on a fight that is not a gimme.

You should definitely screen the fights they can use the "Hail Mary" on.

Comment

I really can't see why try to complicate things more, it works.

Comment

I wouldn't mess around with all the points crap - like 5 people know how to use them or give a crap about them.

I do think the scoring system needs to be expanded a bit. DuckAdonis made a great example - current scoring only rewards you if you pick the correct winner. If you think it's gonna be a close fight but not sure who wins, it shouldn't all depend on you guessing correctly who judges will go with.

Maybe something like:
                    If you pick KO, picking correct fighter = 20 pts, method (1-4, 5-8, 9-12) 10 pts
                    If you pick Wide, correct fighter = 20, method 10 pts
                    If you pick close Close, correct fighter = 10, method 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                      I think participation was an issue last time. I don't have any ideas on how to fix it unless there's a way people can sign up for a group reminder and everyone gets their name tagged a couple days before the event.
                      I believe that’s what the social group will help

Comment

Working...
                      X