Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Golovkin really tie Hopkins' title fight streak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Golovkin really tie Hopkins' title fight streak?

Did he actually tie Hopkins' record or is this just boxing industry propaganda to hype Golovkin?

Probably, he fought nothing but bums for years

Comment

Nope, Boxing industry propaganda like always when it comes to the gee

Comment

Remove the "regular" title defences and the answer is no.

Comment

the Vanes fight shouldnt even count
          Last edited by Mr.365; 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Nope. his regular defences where a sham.

Plus take a look at his resume. A joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.365 View Post
              the Vanes fight shouldnt even count
              And he was better than Wade lol

Comment

Yes he did under the accepted practices of the sanctioning bodies. Whether that is meaningful is up for debate. I think Hopkins had a no contest (maybe two) counted as a sucessfull defense so his record is also debatable. It doesn't matter because it doesn't say much about how good a fighter really is.

Comment

nope. Boxing has never acknowledged the defense streak of secondary belts...until the media suddenly did so in a unprecedented move to inflate GGG's career. He won a vacate Interim belt that was later promoted to the WBA regular belt beneath the true WBA champion. He then defended that BS for years. It wasn't until 4 years later that he won the true WBA champ over Geale. His real streak started the fight after that against Rubio and even if you count the clown Vanes fight and Brook fight (both fights in which 1 or more of the belt orgs said it was a mismatch and refused to sanction the fight) the grand total of defenses would be a unimpressive 9 no where near the record which was 20.
                  Last edited by bigdunny1; 11-20-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowballer View Post
                    Did he actually tie Hopkins' record or is this just boxing industry propaganda to hype Golovkin?
                    Huh? Well officially, yeah, but that's only if you allow that the WBA was counting two separate champions simultaneously. I personally don't. I count Golovkin's title run from when he became sole WBA champion after Geale vacated, which would put him on 15 defences. Still others will only count it from when he was elevated to WBA 'super' champ (around the time he did actually fight Geale) which would put him on 10 or 11 defenses I think.

Course there's also the argument about why Sturm was elevated instead of being stripped at the start of GGG title run, but that's another story.

Comment

Working...
                    X