No announcement yet.

Legacy Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy Fight?

Ok so I see people comparing Garcia moving up to fight Spence to Duran vs SRL or SRL vs Hagler or Duran vs Hagler etc...

My question is when did Errol Spence do anything to compare to SRL or Hagler or Garcia to Duran or SRL?

If Garcia beats Spence he basically beats a guy who's beaten one good fighter in Kell Brook and even that guy was coming off a face crushing defeat.

So if Garcia wins, does he have a legacy defining fight or is Errol Spence Jr just not what people thought he was?

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
    Ok so I see people comparing Garcia moving up to fight Spence to Duran vs SRL or SRL vs Hagler or Duran vs Hagler etc...

My question is when did Errol Spence do anything to compare to SRL or Hagler or Garcia to Duran or SRL?

If Garcia beats Spence he basically beats a guy who's beaten one good fighter in Kell Brook and even that guy was coming off a face crushing defeat.

So if Garcia wins, does he have a legacy defining fight or is Errol Spence Jr just not what people thought he was?
    True, Spence is not a fighter who has faced all of the top guys in the division. In fact, he hasn't faced any but Brook. So an unlikely Garcia win would just show that a yet untested Spence is not all that.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
      True, Spence is not a fighter who has faced all of the top guys in the division. In fact, he hasn't faced any but Brook. So an unlikely Garcia win would just show that a yet untested Spence is not all that.
      That's the thing. It's not like Spence has beaten any of the top 3 guys in his own division yet whether that be due to them not wanting the fight or not.

Comment

I don’t know how much you’ve studied SRL’s career but he had only been a world champion 6 months when he fought Duran. His only top level win was him winning the title against Benitez who is obviously far better than Brook.

I completely see the parallels between SRL-Duran I and Spence-Mikey. An elite level lightweight stepping up to face an elite level welterweight. Will Spence or Garcia go on to be ATG’s like Leonard and Duran I doubt it, but they are in similar positions SRL and Duran were in their careers back in 1980

Comment

Honestly I think Garcia beating Spence would be a bigger upset than Leonard beating Hagler and it would be huge for his legacy for sure. It's not gonna happen though.

As for Spence, this fight damages his rep no matter what, it's just a question to what degree.

Comment

no one fights anymore in boxing so we just have to guess who might be great and who might not be. spence looks like a really good fighter but its kind of hard to tell with his lacking resume. pipino cuevas was a lot more proven when hearns destroyed him but garcia will get extra special "moving up" points if he wins which i predict he will.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
              no one fights anymore in boxing so we just have to guess who might be great and who might not be. spence looks like a really good fighter but its kind of hard to tell with his lacking resume. pipino cuevas was a lot more proven when hearns destroyed him but garcia will get extra special "moving up" points if he wins which i predict he will.
              "A good big man beats a good little man every time." I fully believe that old saying. If Garcia beats Spence, I'll have to believe that Errol just isn't that good.

Comment

There is no way you can not give Mikey huge credit if he wins this fight

Comment

Leonard hadnt done much before the 1st Duran fight either so the comparison is spot on

Comment

They're saying Mikey is the SRL. Spence is beating on smaller guys in a smaller class. He's really a JMW. That's exactly what Hagler did, he beat smaller guys coming up. Hearns, SRL (tried), Duran, etc. Spence is a půssy who never dared to be great just like Hagler. And when Hagler couldn't be great he beat up his wife and smoked crack.

Comment

Working...
                    X