No announcement yet.

How much credit does Spence get for facing Mikey.. scale of 1-10

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    No credit. I'm a big believer in Garcia and have been for years but this is just a stupid fight. Garcia is doughy at 140 and Spence looks like he won't even be able to stay at 147 for all that long. They guys are too far apart in weight.

Not only do I give Spence no credit for a W, if he lost I think it should be devastating to his career, losing to a guy that small.
    Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
    I'm surprised he isn't getting massive hate for facing Mikey actually.
    Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
    Not much credit. I wish they'd put Mikey in with a decent welterweight or two before he fights Spence and if he wins and looks good then it would make this matchup look a lot more credible. Somebody like Yordenis Ugas or even Andre Berto just to see how he adjusts to the weight. 3/10.
    Originally posted by Mammoth View Post
    Same thing here. Spence could easily be fighting other welterweights.
    Spence would like normal at JMW...him fighting a LW is not impressive whatsoever

Comment

I got no interest in this fight. Even though I believe Spence is not as great as everyone thinks he is, the size difference is too much.

This fight ruined two potential fantastic fights. Actual fights with meaning.

Comment

5 out of 10 since Mikey is a name

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          No credit. I'm a big believer in Garcia and have been for years but this is just a stupid fight. Garcia is doughy at 140 and Spence looks like he won't even be able to stay at 147 for all that long. They guys are too far apart in weight.

Not only do I give Spence no credit for a W, if he lost I think it should be devastating to his career, losing to a guy that small.
          this cat is from my hood here in Riverside California... let me tell you all guys this... this dude is very small!!! i went to get some tacos this other day at this very famous taco place and i saw him there chill af.. super cool guy i was like... yo Mickey pic please bro? he was, sure!.. he is not more than 5'6 i tell you that.. it seems, he can easily make 135 pounds... it looks he walks around 145 pounds.. isn't Spence 5':9,10"? and that dude walks around 180 pounds.. plus... everything Mickey does, Spence does it better...

Comment

I give a 10 to Mikey and a 0 to Spence. I cant hate cause hes probably getting a good payday for it but its a ***** fight. Hes alreadya huge WW. Thats just stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Mikey's a name. Sh^t Mikey will be the best name on Spence's resume if Spence does beat him. It's not as sexy as it could be cuz Mikey hasn't won a belt at the highly competitive 147 division. He is a 4 weight division title holder doe & I believe he's been the best guy in at least 2 of those divisions, if briefly, & maybe its more then 2 (anyone feel free to correct me if thats not right). So I think its an 7 off of the name. If Mikey was a legit 147lber with a title right now I'd probably bump it up to a 8 or 9 depending on how legit the title at 147 was & where I felt he was at ranking-wise.
              I think this bit in bold is very telling on Spence's career so far, a lot of hype but very little substance. I give Garcia all the credit here, Spence deserves none.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
                I think this bit in bold is very telling on Spence's career so far, a lot of hype but very little substance. I give Garcia all the credit here, Spence deserves none.
                People love to blame the fighter on the way up, but Spence is in the same position as Thurman & GGG & so many others have been before. You can only eat the food thats put on the table. And Thurman wants nothing to do with Spence. Danny & Shawn both didn't want anything to do with Spence's title. Danny coulda probably fought Spence now if he had called him out, but he's resting on his status. Bud isn't a makeable fight for anyone who knows how all this promoter/platform bs works 99.9% of the time.

So its easy to dog Spence here, but Spence is the juice not worth the squeeze guy here. And Mikey's in the same boat. He's not getting a Loma fight unless he bends to TR. He's not getting a Linares fight unless he bends to GBP. Thus Spence will be the best name on Mikey's resume too.

Neither guy pays enough to be worth it. Thus one will finally make their name more valuable vs the other in February it would seem. And then maybe some of these other fights can be made & the juice will be worth the squeeze for TR/GBP or Thurman/Porter.

Comment

For anyone to say that Mikey gets all the credit in the world, and Spence deserves none is idiotic.

Mikey is calling Spence out, and is a top 10 pfp guy, and a 140 pounder in 2 of his last 3 fights. Its not like he is jumping up to 147 from being a career 135.

Spence is taking a bigger risk for his career by far than Mikey is. Mikey is skilled enough to compete there too. Will he win? I doubt it, but at least he has the boys to face Spence, while the other top welters won't, aside from Crawford, who they don't want to face yet because of promotional issues, and "marinating".

Look at history of some big similar moves. Duran vs Sugar Ray Leonard. Pac vs DLH, Mosley skipped 140 to move up. Floyd fought once at 140 and called out Mosley and DLH. basically the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post
                    I say maybe 5 due to Mikey's boxing IQ and overall skills. but does a win move Spence up the P4P ladder? I say no. these "dare to be great" mofos are always in a win-win scenario. they have a built in excuse for losing and will get showered with praise for even winning a couple pity rounds.
                    If he blasts him like he’s supposed to then 6. If he struggles against a flabby lightweight and first time ww then 3.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                      Garcia's mentality is the same as Brook and Khan, "better to lose and have a good excuse than get exposed". And, no, they're not "daring to be great". **** anyone who supports this ****ty trend in boxing.
                      shows how many of us appreciate this sport and can tell who is real and who is not.

well said.

Comment

Working...
                      X