No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn on Canelo-DAZN: The Whole Game is About To Change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Digital Mouth View Post
    A couple of losses and the deal will crumble. Meanwhile AJ will be wishing he signed with DAZN instead of Matchroom.
    Aww. Keep hoping hater

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
      So much salt in this thread. I bet people would be singing from a different hymn sheet if haymon secured the deal
      Yeah I was thinking this earlier

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        Only 630k every month for 5 years? They better have Canelo fighting once a month
        Sh^t man there are more than 630k mfers on Team Canelo that'll boost Canelo's impact with DAZN past a mill FOR SURE.

Canelo is gonna get a nice lil bonus off this sh^t. No way Canelo is walking away with a mere $365M for this deal. With all the money DAZN will be making off of Canelo, that could last well beyond this 5 year deal, I bet Canelo will easily be walking away with half a billion dollars once his bonuses are added into his pay.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
          It looks even more risky seeing it broken down like that!

Canelo doesn't fight every month, of course.
          I'm not saying he does. I'm just saying of the 650M people who'll have access to Canelo's DAZN fights .00097% of them, on average, need to pay $10 per month for the duration of this deal for it to make sense for DAZN. And thats just considering the 6 countries Canelo fights will be shown in now. DAZN will be entering 13 more countries over the next 4 years & who knows how many of those countries will be showing Canelo fights & that'll just make Canelo achieve those figures more easily.

If he sticks with his usual 2 fights per year schedule, then based on your numbers, he needs to attract 3,779,646 subscribers - who wouldn't have subscribed otherwise - per fight, for his next 11 fights, for DAZN to break even on their investment.
          But thats one time viewers only.

Between one time viewers who'll just pay $20 a year to watch Canelo fights & the cats who'll just sign up to DAZN to watch Canelo, but will enjoy all the other boxing there the true figure needed to break even is gonna be some middle number between 630k & 3.7M.

And I think they will easily find 630k fans, on average, a month with this deal so you won't really need to care about people who'll only show up twice a year. GBP alone might bring half that number cuz I think plenty of bs & low level GBP fights on HBO get that many fans or more watching & they were already paying ~$15 or w/e a month for HBO.
          Last edited by Eff Pandas; 10-18-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zzat View Post
            It's really a great deal for Canelo and GBP.
            I think the people running DAZN know what they're doing but based on your calculations there is still some level of risk.
            Sure there is always risk. I just don't think its THAT risky a deal for DAZN.

You are assuming that the 629, 941 "Canelo" subscribers will keep their subscriptions paid up for 5 years but the truth of the matter they only need to subscribe for the 11 months that Canelo will be fighting.
            I'm not assuming anything. I'm saying there will be those that only have DAZN for the months Canelo fights. BUT they only need to get 629,941 on average through out this deal to be with DAZN from day 1 to Sept. 2023 for them to break even. And I think thats a baby number to reach in the pool of 650M that they are currently fishing in & it'll be nothing in the 1B or 2B audience they will be looking at more than likely in the next few years.

If they just use DAZN for Canelo then on the month of the fight there should be at least 3.32M subscribers to break even.
            LOL nah man. If they got 3.32M subs off of Canelo for his May & Sept. fights & they can't keep a respectable % of them DAZN is massively f#cking up at not converting mfers.

Hell man in general I think a good conversion rate range if you are decent to great at converting is 1%-10% or 33k to 332k people which would translate to a $3.9M-$39M a year boost with subs.

Its not realistic to think that 3.3M people will sign up & then all cancel all those times in a row & base the needs of DAZN to make this deal profitable on that figure. They will have cats who sign up for DAZN for the duration of this deal off the strength of Canelo. And those guys are gonna be the base of this deal making sense for DAZN & they will be why Canelo ends up getting a nice bonus on this deal as is included in the deal. 630k isn't a big number.
            Last edited by Eff Pandas; 10-18-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

You make a good point, I hear you man.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                Imo, DAZN know that they are overpaying Canelo by a considerable amount, but have decided it will be worth it in the long run.

Getting the biggest PPV star in US boxing on board so soon after launch is going to do wonders for their "brand" in the States.

And it will underline what their CEO said at the launch announcement - the days of expensive PPVs for big fights in the US will soon to be over - DAZN is the future.
                Yup! I agree with you in that they know they're overpaying him.

I'm sure it's not lost on the DAZN CEO's mind that his competition(ESPN, FOX and Showtime) will see this and also try to make sure that they keep their subscribers happy by giving a quality product.

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
                  Eddie didn't sign anybody.

Why do you people post like Eddie is running DAZN? Lol

Did you miss the pictures of Skipper? You know the guy who actually runs the app that oscar negotiated the deal with.

They have deals with Bellator, Matchroom, and now GBP. Eddie isn't running anything there.
                  Call it what you want, w/o Eddie, there wouldnt have been this deal. Hes the one approaching the fighters and their promoters. Of course he doest run the app, kid. But hes partially responsible for getting fighters to sign! End of story
                  Last edited by mrlopez; 10-19-2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X