No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo, Oscar De La Hoya, DAZN Discuss New Mega-Deal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    The problem with these guaranteed contracts is that Canelo can now cherry-pick his opponents from here on out. WBC and the rest of the sanctioning bodies will be happy to accept their fees without enforcing mandatories whether they get it for a Charlo fight or a Fielding type fight. In ten fights he probably fights three opponents we really want to see.
    I don't think he would be allowed to do that. They would obviously need to pick opponents who would bring the biggest income to DAZN for him to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
      John Skipper runs DAZN not Eddie Hearn, it is ZERO mention of Eddie Hearn so why are people giving him Credit?
      Because Eddie Hearn has an EXCLUSIVE contract with DAZN to provide boxing content for their platform in addition to Hearn being DAZN programming director of Boxing for DAZN.

So in order for any Boxing content not involving Hearn to take place, they need his consent at the very least or he can sue DAZN for literally breach of contract.

He doesn't have to be involved in any of the Golden Boy shows but he at least has to be cool with it.

This doesn't happen unless Eddie says "Go ahead, I won't sue".

GB is not stupid, which is why Alvarez is fighting Fielding, a Matchroom fighter, this is all business behind the scenes.
      Last edited by Queen_Leia; 10-17-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        No details of the inner workings of the deal have been released. I sincerely doubt that a seasoned sports programmer like Skipper would fall for an okey-doke that would allow Canelo to make $36 million fighting the Fedex guy. I would bet a steak dinner that DAZN has some sort of matchmaking approval on this deal, or the language includes criteria like current champs, top 5 rankings. or mandatory challengers, something to that effect........
        Of course they would, no way would Canelo turn up on that sort of money against TBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen_Leia View Post
          Because Eddie Hearn has an EXCLUSIVE contract with DAZN to provide boxing content for their platform in addition to Hearn being DAZN programming director of Boxing for DAZN.

So in order for any Boxing content not involving DAZN to take place, they need his consent at the very least or he can sue DAZN for literally breach of contract.

He doesn't have to be involved in any of the Golden Boy shows but he at least has to be cool with it.

GB is not stupid, which is why Alvarez is fighting Fielding, a Matchroom fighter, this is all business behind the scenes.
          Yeah for some reason this annoucement seems to bother/burn some people, If people think John skipper (The cokehead) is the only one sorting out this boxing deal then good for them, whatever makes them sleep at night lol.

Comment

So in order for any Boxing content not involving DAZN to take place, they need his consent at the very least or he can sue DAZN for literally breach of contract.

Haven't seen any quotes confirming that respectfully, not saying its not true but sounds like GBP got their own separate thing going on

Comment

No mention of Hearn. Canelo deal is directly above his head with Skipper. The deal for the Golden Boy 10 cards a month calls for Oscar to be the Executive Producer.

The DAZN-Golden Boy deal includes a large production element, which places Oscar De La Hoya as Executive Producer of the 12 live fight nights annually. The live productions will be a collaboration between DAZN and Golden Boy Media and Entertainment, De La Hoya’s in-house production arm, and will push the boundaries of traditional boxing shows by incorporating new features with virtual graphics and social media interaction.

Golden Boy and Canelo have their own deal with DAZN that has NOTHIING to do with Hearn. Just like Oscar said last week.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...ing-determined

De La Hoya was responding to comments made by promoters such as Bob Arum of Top Rank and Matchroom Boxing's Eddie Hearn about their efforts to sign Alvarez to a co-promotional deal with Golden Boy in order to have Alvarez to fight on the platforms they have deals with
              . Top Rank is tied to ESPN and Matchroom Boxing with sports streaming service DAZN.

"I won't do a deal with Bob Arum or a deal with Eddie Hearn for Canelo," De La Hoya said. "I'm going to go directly to the [platform] and make a deal. I don't need another promoter. We are the promoter of the biggest star on the planet."
              Last edited by bigdunny1; 10-17-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                No details of the inner workings of the deal have been released. I sincerely doubt that a seasoned sports programmer like Skipper would fall for an okey-doke that would allow Canelo to make $36 million fighting the Fedex guy. I would bet a steak dinner that DAZN has some sort of matchmaking approval on this deal, or the language includes criteria like current champs, top 5 rankings. or mandatory challengers, something to that effect........
                When Floyd got a six-fight guaranteed contract with SHO, he was able to fight Maidana 2x (instead of Khan, Brook, Martinez or Thurman), Berto, and Guerrero just happened to have a belt but was by no means a viable opponent. Canelo was plucked from the vine while still green and Pac was far removed from his best.

Looking at the current landscape of potential opponents between 160-168, Charlo, GGG, Andrade, Saunders, Ramirez, and later on possibly Munguia would be the stand outs to present a competitive fight, of those, he may fight three of them over the next five years. Outside of those opponents, not very many compelling fights.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                  Haven't seen any quotes confirming that respectfully, not saying its not true but sounds like GBP got their own separate thing going on
                  Golden Boy does have their own separate thing going. I'm not denying that but this deal needed Hearn (who is also the programming director of Boxing for the app service) consent.

Hearn would sue the hell out of DAZN for this breach. Same thing with ESPN, if they allowed say Dibella Entertainment to begin broadcasting on their airwaves without talking to Top Rank about it (who has an exclusive contract to provide Boxing content for the channel), Top Rank would sue the hell out of them.

Exclusive contracts matter.

Either way, I'm happy for all parties involved, even we are not getting any of the money, any entity pouring money into Boxing is a win for us fans.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                    No mention of Hearn. Canelo deal is directly above his head with Skipper. The deal for the Golden Boy 10 cards a month calls for Oscar to be the Executive Producer.

The DAZN-Golden Boy deal includes a large production element, which places Oscar De La Hoya as Executive Producer of the 12 live fight nights annually. The live productions will be a collaboration between DAZN and Golden Boy Media and Entertainment, De La Hoya’s in-house production arm, and will push the boundaries of traditional boxing shows by incorporating new features with virtual graphics and social media interaction.

Golden Boy and Canelo have their own deal with DAZN that has NOTHIING to do with Hearn. Just like Oscar said last week.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...ing-determined

De La Hoya was responding to comments made by promoters such as Bob Arum of Top Rank and Matchroom Boxing's Eddie Hearn about their efforts to sign Alvarez to a co-promotional deal with Golden Boy in order to have Alvarez to fight on the platforms they have deals with
                    . Top Rank is tied to ESPN and Matchroom Boxing with sports streaming service DAZN.

"I won't do a deal with Bob Arum or a deal with Eddie Hearn for Canelo," De La Hoya said. "I'm going to go directly to the [platform] and make a deal. I don't need another promoter. We are the promoter of the biggest star on the planet."
                    Why would Golden Boy mention Hearn in their press release? I wouldn't....everybody knows that Hearn is the programming director of Boxing for DAZN, in addition to having an exclusive contract with DAZN to provide all Boxing content.

Add in the fact that Fieldings (Alvarez first opponent is a Matchroom fighter)...Hearn is involved in this deal, not so much the monetary sense or even contract language but he had to at least consent to this deal happening or he could sue DAZN for breach of contract.

Comment

Golden Boy does have their own separate thing going. I'm not denying that but this deal needed Hearn (who is also the programming director of Boxing for the app service) consent.

Hearn would sue the hell out of DAZN for this breach. Same thing with ESPN, if they allowed say Dibella Entertainment to begin broadcasting on their airwaves without talking to Top Rank about it (who has an exclusive contract to provide Boxing content for the channel), Top Rank would sue the hell out of them.

Exclusive contracts matter.

Either way, I'm happy for all parties involved, even we are not getting any of the money, any entity pouring money into Boxing is a win for us fans.
                      That is all I was saying and I think it is great as well and Eddie as well as Scott Coker and Bellator they all benefit from this signing since they all have deals with the APP so it is win/win for everybody

Comment

Working...
                      X