Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Canelo make more money than Floyd by the end of his career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Okay. Where was Floyd at at 28 years old doe? Canelo gots a hell of a headstart on Floyd already. Floyd was still a month from his first PPV vs where Canelo is right now.

Come on man. Don't be a boxing hater.

Canelo sells subscriptions vs your mailman. Just think about the facts right now. You used to have to pay $70-$80 a fight to watch Canelo fight. Now you can just pay $19.98 or $29.97 if Canelo fights 3 times in a year. I suspect more people will be watching Canelo then previously. And that has tremendous upside for DAZN & for the fighter if they are smart & make some good sponsorship deals & sell merch & sh^t on the side.

The fights will come like the fights always come. Its much more likely we see Canelo vs Jacobs now. Andrade could be in play. If GGG/Tommy L sign with DAZN next its a solid bet we get Canelo vs GGG III. Thats 4 (counting Fielding since thats booked) of the next 11 fights right there. And I didn't even count Lemeiux which I'm sure will get his shot sooner or later. Charlo is a mando iirc. Thats 5 of the next 11 fights.

Or if Canelo surprises me & sticks to 168 there is Groves & Callum Smith. And I doubt Lemeiux would be mad about fighting Canelo at 168 so he'll still be down so thats 4 of the next 11 fights covered. We are already in the end of 2020 or start of 2021 with those schedules. Then maybe Munguia is ready. Maybe other mfers have come up. There is never any problem finding opponents.

I think its probably a hassle for Oscar to sell PPV's of a guy who won't f#cking speak English so this is a cherry deal for a guy who seems to ultimately wanna stfu & fight vs build up a fight. There are Floyd & Conor types & there are Canelo & Khabib types. So I think Canelo had great success for a guy who doesn't promote his own cause very well, but its obvious his PPV ceiling was limited cuz he wasn't talking in English so he'd get put out there more. Canelo should be on Jimmy Fallon or Conan O'Brien before his PPV fights not on Spanish only speaking channels. So I wouldn't be surprised if that has as much to do with this move as the money + "ppv worthy" fights out there. Oscar was fighting a losing battle trying to make Canelo as big as he could be & generating as much PPV revenue as he could. Some mfers just aren't built to act that way.
    EffP its simple math. No hating involved. no matter how much of a headstart Canelo has, Floyd has 2 fights that grossed over $1 billion (when you add in movie theater and streams). Canelo may not do that with this deal.

The Manny rematch is expected to do 1.5 mil PPV's at the least, which is about 400k clear of the highest number Canelo has done without Floyd.

I respect your points but I just don't see it happening given the opponents. Now maybe the British fans flock to see some of their 168lbers fight Canelo but even if they do those PPV's are 1/4 to 1/3rd the cost of a Floyd PPV.

Comment

Originally posted by El Ondeado View Post
      Floyd is estimated to have made over 1.5 billion dollars in revenue. Do you see Canelo passing that number?
      This! Because of Floyd being a villain in boxing(most are willing to pay to see him lose) whereas Canelo has fans who want to see him win.

Comment

Why are people acting like Mayweather takes all the money from his fights? I bet we would be all surprised that it's nowhere near what he and others would have you believe.

Comment

Doubt it, I see Canelo retiring once his contract is up in five years. I also don't see any huge PPV opponents that can make a mega-fight like Pacquiao or McGregor did with Floyd. If Floyd comes out of retirement for a rematch with Pac and to fight another MMA no-hoper, Canelo won't come close.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            EffP its simple math. No hating involved. no matter how much of a headstart Canelo has, Floyd has 2 fights that grossed over $1 billion (when you add in movie theater and streams). Canelo may not do that with this deal.

The Manny rematch is expected to do 1.5 mil PPV's at the least, which is about 400k clear of the highest number Canelo has done without Floyd.

I respect your points but I just don't see it happening given the opponents. Now maybe the British fans flock to see some of their 168lbers fight Canelo but even if they do those PPV's are 1/4 to 1/3rd the cost of a Floyd PPV.
            Well how much revenue do you think this 11 fight deal is worth then since we are talking about revenue & not simply fight purses. Cuz admittedly it seems like a harder comparison to make cuz there aren't direct PPV numbers or estimates out there. And lets not forget every Canelo fight will be international now cuz DAZN is gonna put his fights on several country platforms. How much is that worth? And idek how you claim the subscriber revenue for Canelo so this whole comparison is kinda difficult & going deep into a rabbit hole I think.

For straight fighter purses I think its a lock Canelo will end up being the 2nd most well paid boxer ever. And with all the time on his clock while making $33 mill a night guaranteed for his next 11 fights I think he's gonna eventually beat Floyd on volume over huge fights & thats assuming no one ever comes to make a big fight for Canelo which I find hard to believe.

Floyd didn't even make in this ballpark til he was 30 & I'm not sure he made more than this guaranteed til Cotto at age 35.

I mean I get it a dollar in your pocket is worth two dollars you might get later, but I think with the amount of time Canelo gots on the table as long as he doesn't retire sooner than most boxers I think its a good bet Canelo will end up being the #1 all time moneymaker. I don't think anyone will be beating Floyd's per fight records doe anytime soon. That guy might not even be born yet that'll beat that record.

Comment

No way would Canelo come anywhere close. The only Canelo fights to have generated $100M PPV revenue were his fights against GGG and Mayweather. Which says more about the popularity of his opponents than it does about himself. Against an unknown opponent like Liam Smith, Canelo only did 300K buys. Whereas Mayweather did around 1M buys against unknown opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Well how much revenue do you think this 11 fight deal is worth then since we are talking about revenue & not simply fight purses. Cuz admittedly it seems like a harder comparison to make cuz there aren't direct PPV numbers or estimates out there. And lets not forget every Canelo fight will be international now cuz DAZN is gonna put his fights on several country platforms. How much is that worth? And idek how you claim the subscriber revenue for Canelo so this whole comparison is kinda difficult & going deep into a rabbit hole I think.

For straight fighter purses I think its a lock Canelo will end up being the 2nd most well paid boxer ever. And with all the time on his clock while making $33 mill a night guaranteed for his next 11 fights I think he's gonna eventually beat Floyd on volume over huge fights & thats assuming no one ever comes to make a big fight for Canelo which I find hard to believe.

Floyd didn't even make in this ballpark til he was 30 & I'm not sure he made more than this guaranteed til Cotto at age 35.

I mean I get it a dollar in your pocket is worth two dollars you might get later, but I think with the amount of time Canelo gots on the table as long as he doesn't retire sooner than most boxers I think its a good bet Canelo will end up being the #1 all time moneymaker. I don't think anyone will be beating Floyd's per fight records doe anytime soon. That guy might not even be born yet that'll beat that record.
                https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#31b80c197d5a

Floyd was at $1.3 billion in revenue before the conor fight. I just don't see how Canelo generates that kind of money even being the #1 draw in the sport because there aren't name guys we want to see.

His best bet is a Floyd rematch-which put even more in Floyd's total.

Maybe Floyd is just like Tiger- a once in a lifetime phenomenon that can't be repeated or past.

Comment

Originally posted by aAgger View Post
                  No way would Canelo come anywhere close. The only Canelo fights to have generated $100M PPV revenue were his fights against GGG and Mayweather. Which says more about the popularity of his opponents than it does about himself. Against an unknown opponent like Liam Smith, Canelo only did 300K buys. Whereas Mayweather did around 1M buys against unknown opponents.
                  Floyd did 400K PPV buys against Berto just months after breaking records with Manny.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#31b80c197d5a

Floyd was at $1.3 billion in revenue before the conor fight. I just don't see how Canelo generates that kind of money even being the #1 draw in the sport because there aren't name guys we want to see.

His best bet is a Floyd rematch-which put even more in Floyd's total.

Maybe Floyd is just like Tiger- a once in a lifetime phenomenon that can't be repeated or past.
                    clenelo will fight ggg a third time. that will help. he can fight until he's 45 and break it. We all know boxers never really retire and just because there aren't any names people want to see him fight now doesn't mean there won't be in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
                      Floyd did 400K PPV buys against Berto just months after breaking records with Manny.
                      ...I almost forgot the Berto fight even happened.

Comment

Working...
                      X