Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo's Deal With DAZN is 11 Fights, $365 Million Guarantee

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Canelo's Deal With DAZN is 11 Fights, $365 Million Guarantee

As BoxingScene.com first reported on Tuesday, boxing's biggest network free agent - Canelo Alvarez - signed a multi-year deal with streaming services, DAZN. The first fight of that deal will take place on December 15th, when Canelo moves up to 168-pounds to challenge Rocky Fielding for the WBA "regular" super middleweight title at New York's Madison Square Garden.
    [Click Here To Read More]
    Last edited by BIGPOPPAPUMP; 10-17-2018, 03:13 AM.

Am I the only person that thinks it's wrong to use Canelo to get GBP a deal for their whole roster? If I were Canelo I would make Oscar give me a % from the whole roster or a share in GBP before letting that fishnet cokehead use me.

Comment

Guarentees the Sven Ottke treatment is going to continue for the rest of his career.

Comment

You sound bitter that hes not gone to showtime. Fact is they overpay because this will have a knock on effect in other fighters signing.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
          You sound bitter that hes not gone to showtime. Fact is they overpay because this will have a knock on effect in other fighters signing.
          That's what they're banking on, if not Canelo is stuck there for 5 years. A 2-year deal would have been smart because after 2 years we'll basically know if this thing is gonna be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
            Am I the only person that thinks it's wrong to use Canelo to get GBP a deal for their whole roster? If I were Canelo I would make Oscar give me a % from the whole roster or a share in GBP before letting that fishnet cokehead use me.
            That's boxing for you; Canelo, even though he's his own entity, follows Oscar, and everyone knows that you have to deal with Oscar to get to Canelo.

Still, Canelo got his money, so I doubt he cares what side benefits Oscar got elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
              Am I the only person that thinks it's wrong to use Canelo to get GBP a deal for their whole roster?
              That's what Hearn did with Joshua and DAZN. That's what Don King always did with Mike Tyson and Showtime & HBO. That's what Al Haymon has always done with Floyd Mayweather and Showtime & HBO. This is how boxing works.

Comment

Are you joking? That’s great news for Hearn.

DAZN just got a huge boost in terms of profile, most likely subscribers, and legitimacy, and he controls most their boxing budget.

You guys are bitter as ****

Comment

Canelo is no Mayweather or Pacquiao. He's just the biggest star atm. What big name 154, 160, and 168lbers are there really? And who would jump ship out of them just to fight Canelo? GGG is about the only one. DAZN is overpaying for sure but idc because it's not my $ and I won't get DAZN app for Canelo fights. Illegal streams > ESPN+ and DAZN.

Comment

My posting history is clear; I never had any illusion of Alvarez fighting on Showtime because Oscar was going to package the rest of his fighters with Alvarez and Showtime was never going to go for that.

I figured that DAZN would end up with the deal; just assumed that Eddie Hearn would pay Alvarez a deal worth $25m per fight, guaranteed through however long it took for the $1b, backloaded, DAZN deal to be fully guaranteed.

Canelo/Oscar cut out the middleman, so now it looks like Hearn is ****ed on his deal after year 2.

Will have to see how these other fights play out, tbh. Derevyanchenko has the vacant title fight with Jacobs, and Jermall Charlo is still mandatory challenger (with Showtime more than positioned to deliver a a PPV event to cover a possible Alvarez vs Charlo $50m bid)

Comment

Working...
                    X