Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What year did you start watching boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father started taking me to local stuff and Golden Gloves when I was a little kid, saw my first live fights some time in the late 70s. Took me to Detroit to see Tommie Hearns fight a couple times in the early 80s, I'll never forget Aretha Franklin singing the national anthem before one of those fights. I trained as a teen at a local gym, but never had any real fights.

Of course I was a Hearns fan, but I always liked the slick boxers, the guys who were hard to hit and were out thinking their opponents. Other than that, I always favored our Olympians when they went pro. Wining a medal for the US meant that I was going to follow your whole career. Liked fighters from Michigan, my home state so I followed many of them too. Had many favorites throughout the years. SRL, Larry Holmes, Michael Spinks, Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones Jr., Juan Manuel Marquez, Berrera, Oscar, James Toney, Floyd Mayweather etc.

So I've basically got 40 years of fandom. Rarely missing a big fight over that time. I still try to make it to the Golden Gloves every couple years. I've seen some great fights and some great fighters. Seen some crazy things and some amazing things.

Best Fight- Hearns-Hagler
    Craziest fight- Holyfield-Tyson II
    Best Heavyweight- Lennox Lewis or Larry Holmes
    Hardest Puncher- Julian Jackson
    Best fighter- Floyd Mayweather
    Biggest physical freak- Roy Jones Jr.
    Most hyped fight- Mayweather vs Osca
    Worst decision- The Lewis-Holyfield draw was insane to me, it was a 10-2 fight.

Boxing is strong and isn't going anywhere. A ton of great fights are about to happen. People think the close fights that get judged against their guy are ruining boxing, that's the opposite, when you've been watching for 40 years, you know that the close fights that people disagree with the decision only make the sport bigger, it's all people talk about.

Comment

2011, I was a high school junior, and the fight was Khan-Peterson, thank goodness too, that one had me hooked.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Introspective View Post
          What was the fight?

Comment

1999 when I was 12, I got wrapped in the DLH vs Trinidad hype and have never stopped following the sport since. I even quit my kung fu classes, which I had been practicing for years, as soon as a boxing gym, within walking distance of my house, opened up and learned to box in my teens.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
              What was the fight?
              Gatti vs mayweather my stepdad showed me the fight he loved mayweather. which led to me watching my favourite trilogy on YouTube afterwards gatti vs ward. I admired gattis warrior spirit. Got into boxing a year after in 2006 aged 11 as an amatuer until I was 17

Comment

late 80's I used to watch with my dad. Lost interest here and there, but I always come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                  1999 when I was 12, I got wrapped in the DLH vs Trinidad hype and have never stopped following the sport since. I even quit my kung fu classes, which I had been practicing for years, as soon as a boxing gym, within walking distance of my house, opened up and learned to box in my teens.
                  How did you find the transition? I've seen some martial artists struggle to the point they had to leave, and others transitioned flawlessly.

Comment

2003, Panchito Bojado put me on

Comment

Leonard vs Hearn 1 in 1981 I was young 10 year old and I was to young to go to closed circuit in the uk at 5am
                      They boxed on a Wednesday evening in Vegas.
                      As I was getting ready for school the next morning I heard on the radio that Leonard pulled it from the fire and stopped tommy late.
                      It was shown on midweek sport special late the next night and I begged my dad could I watch it as he sent me to bed for schoo
                      He called me just before the fight started and said it's on come down.
                      That my calling card for boxing and Leonard was idol and still is.
                      Never missed a major fight and saw Lewis beat Holyfield in Vegas and get robbed with a draw in MSG.
                      Never missed a major fight and to this this day I wake up at 4am to watch the big ones.
                      I don't think many people know as much as me about boxing from the 80' and 90'.
                      It's my true love

Comment

Working...
                      X