No announcement yet.

The case for floyd higher on ATG list than Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
    Indenial and delusional. I prove facts you just talk. How you got your rep is beyond me lol. Have a nice day Sir
    Shane and Oscar both fought him. How is that ducking?

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdonalds View Post
      I just watched duran vs leonard, mayweather would SCHOOL duran LMFAO

YEah right.. Leonard would beat Mayweather fairly easily and Duran beat Leonard that night in Montreal.

Comment

• What ATG list we talking about everyone has a different list,,,,,,,, a Ferris wheel of would could should.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
          Cant tell if you are kidding or not. Robinson was ahead on all cards and retired due to heat exhaustion.

The fight took place 2 days after a torrential rains postponed the fight, and on one of the hottest days recorded in newyork history.

If you have ever lived on the east coast, you know what that humid after rain heat does, then throw you under the hot lights.

I mean honestly, it was so hot, they had to swap out the ref after the 10th round due to him suffering from heat exhaustion himself.

If you watch the fight, you can see it was the heat that got to SRR not Joey Maxim. You could see the heat just start to sap the energy from SRR, who was not known for stamina issues by around the 9th round.

dude they both boxed in teh same room. this sport is contingent on you coming out for the bell every round. don't call it a fluke when one guy can come out for the bell and another cannot. and certainly don't compare a win over robinson as close to his prime as anybody who beat him other than lamotta to a win over a horribly faded henry armstrong, considered a footnote on robinson's record by any boxing historian.

dude touted that win like it was the best thing since sliced bread, and it shows just how little of the context of boxing in 1935ish-1958ish that he's absorbed.

maxim's win over robinson the best win ever? of course not? but is it a better win than robinson's win over armstrong [the topic of conversation and the rreason i'm hollowing out some ass in this thread?] absolutely.

with a bullet! just trust me if you don't understand that, this guy certainly does not.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
            dude they both boxed in teh same room. this sport is contingent on you coming out for the bell every round. don't call it a fluke when one guy can come out for the bell and another cannot. and certainly don't compare a win over robinson as close to his prime as anybody who beat him other than lamotta to a win over a horribly faded henry armstrong, considered a footnote on robinson's record by any boxing historian.

dude touted that win like it was the best thing since sliced bread, and it shows just how little of the context of boxing in 1935ish-1958ish that he's absorbed.

maxim's win over robinson the best win ever? of course not? but is it a better win than robinson's win over armstrong [the topic of conversation and the rreason i'm hollowing out some ass in this thread?] absolutely.

with a bullet! just trust me if you don't understand that, this guy certainly does not.
            So you are saying that Maxim did better job by avoiding a loss because SRR succumbed to a potentially life threatening case of hypernatremia and hyperthermia (heat exhaustion) while up on the cards so far that Maxim required a knockout to win, than SRR did in beating Henry Armstrong legitimately?

Your point that Armstrong was a shell of himself is completely valid. He was as shell of himself when Robinson fought him, Robinson still beat him legitimately without any intervening environmental conditions.

Your point that Robinson was in any way fresh or close to his prime is just as ludicrous as stating that Armstrong was close to his prime.

Robinson was 12 years and 141 fights into his career, and retired after the maxim fight, making a comeback 3 years later for financial reasons.

To say it can't be considered a fluke, is fairly disingenuous. I cant remember a fight before or since where a fighter was stopped by heat exhaustion, can you?

How about one where the referee had to be replaced because of heat exhaustion?

One where ringside reporters described “conditions which might have made Dante’s Inferno seem like a refrigerator.”?

Robinson was defeated by the heat, not by anything Maxim did in the ring. He neither absorbed a large amount of punishment, nor was he hurt by and huge shots that would contribute to the fight ending.

Environmental factors are what stopped SRR that night, not Maxim.

You can just watch the fight also, and see how much bigger Maxim was, and how much harder Robinson had to work because of the size difference. And how the heat beat Robinson.

Robinson for his part demonstrated why he is such a great champion. Even fading from heat exhaustion and dehydration, he still kept his composure, and kept fighting, and winning, right up until his body started to shut down.

To call this a good win, instead of a close call for maxim is dubious at best, and I am fairly sure that you are aware of that.

You could just modify your position to "neither was a great win for either guy, just a name past their best on their resume."

I set this to start after Robinson had already started to fade from the heat. Just so you can see how handily he was winning, even when fading.
            Last edited by !! Shawn; 10-15-2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              So you are saying that Maxim did better job by avoiding a loss because SRR succumbed to a potentially life threatening case of hypernatremia and hyperthermia (heat exhaustion) while up on the cards so far that Maxim required a knockout to win, than SRR did in beating Henry Armstrong legitimately?

Your point that Armstrong was a shell of himself is completely valid. He was as shell of himself when Robinson fought him, Robinson still beat him legitimately without any intervening environmental conditions.

Your point that Robinson was in any way fresh or close to his prime is just as ludicrous as stating that Armstrong was close to his prime.

Robinson was 12 years and 141 fights into his career, and retired after the maxim fight, making a comeback 3 years later for financial reasons.

To say it can't be considered a fluke, is fairly disingenuous. I cant remember a fight before or since where a fighter was stopped by heat exhaustion, can you?

How about one where the referee had to be replaced because of heat exhaustion?

One where ringside reporters described “conditions which might have made Dante’s Inferno seem like a refrigerator.”?

Robinson was defeated by the heat, not by anything Maxim did in the ring. He neither absorbed a large amount of punishment, nor was he hurt by and huge shots that would contribute to the fight ending.

Environmental factors are what stopped SRR that night, not Maxim.

You can just watch the fight also, and see how much bigger Maxim was, and how much harder Robinson had to work because of the size difference. And how the heat beat Robinson.

Robinson for his part demonstrated why he is such a great champion. Even fading from heat exhaustion and dehydration, he still kept his composure, and kept fighting, and winning, right up until his body started to shut down.

To call this a good win, instead of a close call for maxim is dubious at best, and I am fairly sure that you are aware of that.

You could just modify your position to "neither was a great win for either guy, just a name past their best on their resume."

I set this to start after Robinson had already started to fade from the heat. Just so you can see how handily he was winning, even when fading.

dude i would not be commenting on a fight if i had not seen footage that was available or having read reports from people who were there. i had media credentials for years and i'd have a hall of fame vote by now if i'd kept with it.

it's just a fact of boxing that your winning is contingent upon your ability to continue. when you quit you lose. both men were in the same environment, one man couldn't handle it and keep boxing and the other could! that's a loss! it's not some fluke, it happened all the time in an era where venues of decent size or better could not be air conditioned! when you boxed in the summer it got f#cking hot! that wasn't the first or the last time somebody boxed in the heat! pace yourself better, ray!

and you're being incredibly dishonest, or maybe ignorant; i don't know you well enough, if you want to compare the state of the two careers [armstorng and robisnon] at the time of the defeats in queston. robinson was considered the the best fighter in the world and went on to win the middleweight championship four more times in one of the very best eras ever at the weight. after the defeat, after the retirement. whereas tiny little henry armstrong, who was a lot easier to hit than robinson and fought WWs in a phone box when he was 132 lbs and could stil make FW, was completely done and did nothing close to what robinson did after losing to him. there's also the size. robinson had greater reach than maxim, was only two inches shorter. armstrong was a lightweight, he was 136 for a same day fight in his last year as a pro. 5'5" at best, gave up seven inches of reach to robinson, he was tiny and certainly further in size from robinson than maxim!

this is not a discussion worth having if you don't see why one win was a footnote and the other was a stoppage of a much, much fresher fighter who went on to unprecedented success at MW and back the top of the pound for pound list. you just can't get over the fact that it was 104 degrees, they probably worked out in gyms hotter than that .

RTD 13, that's a stoppage loss. he quit.

Comment

Working...
              X