Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people think Paul Williams had ANY chance against Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It woulda looked liked Easter vs Garcia. I love how ppl mention his range even tho he rarely fought tall ������

Comment

Anyone Floyd did not fight, was a threat I guess..But Williams would have posed a challenge due to his size and workrate...

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
        This is a serious question here.

Williams wasn't a bum, but Sergio was catching him clean with check hooks and overhand lefts all night long. The left that put him to sleep was the same shot he was just eating - like he was too stupid to defend against it.

Add to that Williams had nowhere near the speed of Floyd at any point. Mayweather would have been tagging him at will all night long - shades of Mayweather/Corrales.

So I ask you. What in the blue world would convince you that this guy would have beaten Floyd Mayweather?
        Paul Williams, was long, big (legitimately able to fight 147-160 at any given time), and busy.

Folks forget the Corrales performance, but when you're looking for someone to finally beat Floyd, you look at the areas where Floyd had issues, and you project that out.

Castillo, Corley, and a few others troubled Floyd largely behind activity/aggression and prime Paul Williams was a whirling dervish of activity, who was also massive for the weight.

With Floyd peaking as a big 140, and physically maxing out at junior middleweight (fight fit at 153lbs, with all of his fluids/food in him), the chances that he check hooks a 154/160lb fighter and puts him out with one shot are slim.

Comment

Don't matter. What happened in the rematch? Completely nullified Fight 1.
          . . .
          "At the end of the day", all the matters is the last outcome.
          As mentioned already, Corales-Castillo I was special. Rematch had no bearing on the way I feel about the first one. Moreover, I think Castillo came in heavy for the second.

Comment

Hate...............

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
              Paul Williams' work rate would have been a tough outing for any fighter; Including Money May. The man averaged close to a 115 punches per round. Unless, Floyd out landed, blocked, slipped or dodged the vast majority of P Will's punches, then he could have very well made it interesting on the scorecards.
              He put out that many punches, was southpaw, had a hell of a chin, and was 6'2...

Thats a nightmare for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarAnt05 View Post
                It woulda looked liked Easter vs Garcia. I love how ppl mention his range even tho he rarely fought tall ������
                He didn't fight tall, but he hit you when you tried to get away, and those long arms made it hard on people.

Comment

Because some people DKSAB

Comment

This is a serious question here.

Williams wasn't a bum, but Sergio was catching him clean with check hooks and overhand lefts all night long. The left that put him to sleep was the same shot he was just eating - like he was too stupid to defend against it.

Add to that Williams had nowhere near the speed of Floyd at any point. Mayweather would have been tagging him at will all night long - shades of Mayweather/Corrales.

So I ask you. What in the blue world would convince you that this guy would have beaten Floyd Mayweather?
                    People just want him to fight guys in their primes. They wanted prime williams, cotto, margarito, pac to bang with money may. I don’t think that is necessarily mean hating him at all, if Floyd indeed beat those guys in their absolute primes he would have had a serious case as being the goat compared to right now where his best win against a prime opponent is over Corrales.

That’s why Floyd is hated, apart from his run from 130-140, he never fought someone exactly at the time people demanded him to. Whether it’s his fault or not is up for discussion.

But you can definitely see the trend. It’s not like he’s the B-side on anything. And as for working with Arum problem, suddenly after 5 years he had no problem doing it? Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                      Paul Williams' work rate would have been a tough outing for any fighter; Including Money May. The man averaged close to a 115 punches per round. Unless, Floyd out landed, blocked, slipped or dodged the vast majority of P Will's punches, then he could have very well made it interesting on the scorecards.
                      He is not throwing 115 punches at Floyd every round unless he windmills reckless like Maidana.

Floyd controls the range and counters between their shots, next thing they are thinking and then its all Floyd as he reduces them to their lowest punch output of their career.

I chuckle when people say what a fighter will do against Floyd based on what they do too others.

Floyd shuts them all down, Williams would have been easy for FM to out box to a UD.

Comment

Working...
                      X