Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

I think the biggest problem with the sport is that there is no real objective way to score a fight. It's all subjective and often in the end, like this weekend, divisive.

So why not let the number of punches scored win rounds and ultimately the fight itself?

Obviously extra points should be awarded for knockdowns and punch numbers should be lowered when deductions occur but at least, you could say guy A won because he outlanded guy B.

I think this might be harder to argue with than the old "I believe he won the fight" line.

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

Yes
    16.00%
    No
    84.00%

Quality and Quantity of punches.

The line between where one overrules the other is based on your expertise watching fights, And your ability to see and judge a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
      I think the biggest problem with the sport is that there is no real objective way to score a fight. It's all subjective and often in the end, like this weekend, divisive.

So why not let the number of punches scored win rounds and ultimately the fight itself?

Obviously extra points should be awarded for knockdowns and punch numbers should be lowered when deductions occur but at least, you could say guy A won because he outlanded guy B.

I think this might be harder to argue with than the old "I believe he won the fight" line.

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

If you consider less than 10% of people thinking Canelo won divisive.

But its actually almost everyone that unanimously agrees. GGG won.

Your points about scoring are valid though. There needs to be training, accountability, and more judges, with the scores of the outlier judges thrown out.

Maybe have a round by round consensus score. 5 judges, Consensus required from 3 judges to score a round for a fighter.

Similar to how amatuer boxing use to work where it needed consensus from 3 of 5 judges that a punch landed for it to be scored.

Except do that for rounds.
      Last edited by !! Shawn; 09-17-2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Might as well watch amateur boxing, and leave the pros to others.

Comment

Who's counting the punches? I do agree that scoring is subjective and could use some type of standard tho. I always laugh at all these videos that pop up after fights claiming to prove the other guy won etc, but tbh, they're probably more legit than the scorecards/opinions of the majority of posters here...who are mostly blatantly biased or miserable haters.��

Comment

You can land 0 punches in rounds 1-11 and land 50 punches in round 12, and I just land 1 punch in every round and I would win a UD. So no it’s not just punches landed.

Comment

Points fighting is fking awful to watch. You end up with guys just poking each other with jabs and not talking any chances.

I'm ok with the system we have now, even if it means garbage decisions here and there. The solution isn't to ruin boxing but to get better judges. Unfortunately, that's on the commissions so the argument needs to be taken up with them.

Comment

Originally posted by AboutBillions View Post
                You can land 0 punches in rounds 1-11 and land 50 punches in round 12, and I just land 1 punch in every round and I would win a UD. So no it’s not just punches landed.
                I usually see, if the numbers are correct, that nearly every time, the guy who landed the most punches is most likely the guy most thought won. There are exceptions, but even with it this way, the hit and not get hit objective applies more than ever.

Comment

I think the number of strands of sexy, alpha, flaming-red hair should determine the winner

Comment

This punch is worth more than a jab

via Gfycat

Comment

Working...
                    X