No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Vargas is probably a year away from getting a title shot. Ugas is the mandatory. Thurman has said he's calling for his title shot after a comeback fight. Spence is a potential unification that gets made next. I don't think a guy less loyal to Haymon as Porter seems to be (in comparison to Spence & Thurman) will be holding that WBC title by the time Jessie gets his turn at it.

Porter could be a guy worth grabbing, but I have a hard time believing Bob doesn't make a harder play for him then Hearn does.

And I'd bet against Danny going anywhere. I suspect he'd quit boxing before we see him on a non-PBC platform. I think he likes his 2nd checks with Haymon.
    Arum has already made a offer to Porter. I think if Porter leaves the PBC, much better chance it is ESPN than DAZN. But lets see if Hearn offers him some crazy amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
      Only know Saunders purse cuz he cant keep his mouth shut, lol. Youd have thought around $1mil though.
      What is BJS purse for that fight?

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        What is BJS purse for that fight?
        $2.4 million

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
          $2.4 million
          I'd guess Andrade is getting around $1.2-1.5 million himself. Not bad, not bad at all.

Comment

Arum has already made a offer to Porter. I think if Porter leaves the PBC, much better chance it is ESPN than DAZN. But lets see if Hearn offers him some crazy amount.
            Yea that could be something to watch, but I think Bob's been doing well vs DAZN/Eddie in these up for grabs fights so I definitely expect him to win this one cuz Bud NEEDS a fight like this.

Hearn does got Brook, Khan & maybe Manny to throw at Porter which could make it interesting. If Hearn offered Porter Manny I think that might be hard to turn down as long as the money makes sense, but I suspect he'll be more loyal to Brook or wanna make that last fight of the deal for Khan then to give that to Porter.

Comment

Yea that could be something to watch, but I think Bob's been doing well vs DAZN/Eddie in these up for grabs fights so I definitely expect him to win this one cuz Bud NEEDS a fight like this.

Hearn does got Brook, Khan & maybe Manny to throw at Porter which could make it interesting. If Hearn offered Porter Manny I think that might be hard to turn down as long as the money makes sense, but I suspect he'll be more loyal to Brook or wanna make that last fight of the deal for Khan then to give that to Porter.
              I don't know if Pacquiao would want the Porter fight to be honest. Brook fight would be bigger in the UK I'd have to think, and so would the Khan fight obviously. Though Khan may demand more than Brook to fight Pacquiao.

But Arum definitely needs some of the PBC WWs for Crawford. If he can't out right sign them or do some sort of deal with Haymon, then Crawford will be wasting the next few years of his prime fighting the likes of Benavidez and Green Machine etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
                What he actually said was the deal will be better if you sign a multi-fight deal rather than fight by fight.
                Ah well thats standard for promoters then. Nothing wrong with that.

As a fighter with appeal doe I think you wanna do 1 fight deals to max your income out & create competition for your services.

I'm surprised no one really does that doe. Well except for Floyd. Manny shoulda done that. Canelo should do that. Joshua should do that. Less popular fighters could do it to if they got a loyal enough base. You are leaving money on the table. Not to say there isn't risk there, but you are risking it anyway cuz a promoter doesn't gotta fulfill your multi-fight deal if you lose or lose appeal for w/e reason. I think fighters forget about that or don't think about their money not being guaranteed.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  Yes he'd get a deal with a win. But the more ratings the better the deal. And I think Kathy really really really wants to be on HBO.
                  But doesn't Kovalev already got the ratings history with HBO? Would doing 300k on DAZN or 1.2M on ESPN matter THAT much in said new deal? I'd say no.

Random question for anyone? Is Kovalev's deal with HBO done or is HBO opting out of showing this fight & if Kovalev wins (or loses competitively) they still have first dibs on his next fight? Or did their deal end with HBO turning down showing this rematch after the L (I know most deals give you the ability to cut a guy with a L)? Cuz it would seem like HBO has some sorta contract with Kovalev to be in position to turn down this fight.

Comment

But doesn't Kovalev already got the ratings history with HBO? Would doing 300k on DAZN or 1.2M on ESPN matter THAT much in said new deal? I'd say no.

Random question for anyone? Is Kovalev's deal with HBO done or is HBO opting out of showing this fight & if Kovalev wins (or loses competitively) they still have first dibs on his next fight? Or did their deal end with HBO turning down showing this rematch after the L (I know most deals give you the ability to cut a guy with a L)? Cuz it would seem like HBO has some sorta contract with Kovalev to be in position to turn down this fight.
                    That was his last fight with them. They can match his next bout. They won't.

Comment

Danny Garcia is one of Haymon's most loyal fighters. He's not going anywhere.

Shawn Porter on the other hand? He may do just that as I don't think he is as keen on fighting Spence as he lets on. This would be the perfect way to avoid the fight. Claim we have network issues so the fight can't happen!!!!!

Activity or lack thereof is one thing that will or at least should change with the new FOX deal. That was the biggest thing about the deal. People are talking about boxing being back on FOX and their budget blah blah blah, but more importantly the PBC dates with big budgets just doubled. Now it isn't only SHO or bust for them.
                      Where do people get this idea that the Porter's aren't loyal to Haymon? Porter has gotten the best fights out of Haymon's whole stable and has fought on all the platforms, Network and cable TV. And he's gotten paid well to do so. The Porters have never shown any indication of not being loyal to Haymon. Unless there was something said that I missed?

Comment

Working...
                      X