No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Idk about that. If a good win happens wouldn't he get a deal regardless how many people seen it? I'd say yes, but no one is going broke on a 35yr old guy who's on the downslide w/e ratings he's likely to do.

Thats more legit. I think maybe Hearn doesn't have as much money as he's claiming cuz HBO had almost EVERYONE worth a damn when they had $100M+ back in the day. DAZN has Joshua & thats only cuz Joshua is with Hearn. HBO was 5x better than Showtime back then probably.

Or Hearn isn't taking well to this market with more hands in the cookie jar with more & higher level competition in the promotional game.

Something isn't adding up doe for sure. Speculation on what it might be or might not be is up in the air still.
    Yes he'd get a deal with a win. But the more ratings the better the deal. And I think Kathy really really really wants to be on HBO. I'm almost certain Hearn offered her a 3 co-promotion fight deal on DAZN. That's what everyone else has gotten. On ESPN you can fight once without having to sign a multiple fight deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      Yes. The fake news boxing media investigated every aspect of the PBC time buy deal. Steve Kim even took it so far as to write an article based on a reddit thread saying PBC had blown thru half a billion dollars.

Hearn says he has a billion dollar deal and the fake news boxing media repeats it. But slowly but surely other news starts to come out and we see it's actually not a billion dollar deal.
      Time will tell, youll be able to see by the cards if he has what hes saying. Say hes spending $4.5-5mil on one of his smaller cards. Saunders is saying hes getting $2.4mil to fight Andrade. Can see hes spending the kind of budget he said he would. If the quality goes down then he was lying. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        How will the FOX deal not do anything for them? It essentially is what was at SHO with the license fees. So the PBC gets double the dates as it has had the last few years.

Make no mistake, Hearn has tried to go after Haymon guys hard, and went after this fight hard. He for one had no idea how much money Haymon fighters were making and then like I mentioned earlier underestimated proven fighters not wanting to fight on such a small platform.

Hearn obviously has a lot of money, but one thing that hasn't been made clear is if the $125 million per year is for the license fees or in totality? Like for example, he mentioned they will use up to $50 million in marketing. So is that separate from the $125 million?

Point blank, he is up against it and has thus far been humbled. He will need to adjust his plan a bit and wait until DAZN becomes proven. Problem with that? Only way it happens is if it picks up rights to other major sports leagues and those rights aren't open until 2021 or 2022.
        We'll see. If Eddie delivers the fights, activity and paydays for his B level fighters then the A level fighters will take notice. Wouldn't surprised me if he was able to pick up Shawn Porter as Jesse Vargas is currently no.1 in the WBC and couldalso offer him a Kell Brook rematch. When Hearn is up for a purse bid he really wants we'll see what he's made of, I think Vargas-Porter would be one of those. DSG might not be far behind either as Eddie would probably pay him well for a couple of rebuild fights before challenging for a title.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
          Yep, don't get why people are surprised at the backlash he is getting. And to be honest, a lot of folks are still upset with the Wilder/Joshua fallout. So Hearn couldn't possibly have worst timing for his DAZN launch lol.
          Yea I actually think most of the anti-Hearn stuff is Joshua vs Wilder related. DAZN isn't even on the radar so much in comparison to Joshua vs Wilder.

He already said if you aren't signing a deal with me, then I won't be offering the same type of money. Um, what? You have no marquee names and that is not the mindset you need to have right now.
          LOL he said that????

I didn't hear it, but yea thats kinda bad karma best case.

Thats the bad side of talking so much to the media like he does. You say dumb sh^t like that from time to time. I bet he'd backtrack on that if someone asked him about it or he will in the future cuz thats just too dumb a thing to say out loud even if you are going to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
            We'll see. If Eddie delivers the fights, activity and paydays for his B level fighters then the A level fighters will take notice. Wouldn't surprised me if he was able to pick up Shawn Porter as Jesse Vargas is currently no.1 in the WBC and couldalso offer him a Kell Brook rematch. When Hearn is up for a purse bid he really wants we'll see what he's made of, I think Vargas-Porter would be one of those. DSG might not be far behind either as Eddie would probably pay him well for a couple of rebuild fights before challenging for a title.
            Danny Garcia is one of Haymon's most loyal fighters. He's not going anywhere.

Shawn Porter on the other hand? He may do just that as I don't think he is as keen on fighting Spence as he lets on. This would be the perfect way to avoid the fight. Claim we have network issues so the fight can't happen!!!!!

Activity or lack thereof is one thing that will or at least should change with the new FOX deal. That was the biggest thing about the deal. People are talking about boxing being back on FOX and their budget blah blah blah, but more importantly the PBC dates with big budgets just doubled. Now it isn't only SHO or bust for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
              Time will tell, youll be able to see by the cards if he has what hes saying. Say hes spending $4.5-5mil on one of his smaller cards. Saunders is saying hes getting $2.4mil to fight Andrade. Can see hes spending the kind of budget he said he would. If the quality goes down then he was lying. We'll see.
              How much is Andrade getting? Or allegedly getting?

Comment

Yea I actually think most of the anti-Hearn stuff is Joshua vs Wilder related. DAZN isn't even on the radar so much in comparison to Joshua vs Wilder.

LOL he said that????

Thats the bad side of talking so much to the media like he does. You say dumb sh^t like that from time to time. I bet he'd backtrack on that if someone asked him about it or he will in the future cuz thats just too dumb a thing to say out loud even if you are going to do it.
                What he actually said was the deal will be better if you sign a multi-fight deal rather than fight by fight.

Comment

How much is Andrade getting? Or allegedly getting?
                  Only know Saunders purse cuz he cant keep his mouth shut, lol. Youd have thought around $1mil though.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger1 View Post
                    Vargas is probably a year away from getting a title shot. Ugas is the mandatory. Thurman has said he's calling for his title shot after a comeback fight. Spence is a potential unification that gets made next. I don't think a guy less loyal to Haymon as Porter seems to be (in comparison to Spence & Thurman) will be holding that WBC title by the time Jessie gets his turn at it.

Porter could be a guy worth grabbing, but I have a hard time believing Bob doesn't make a harder play for him then Hearn does.

And I'd bet against Danny going anywhere. I suspect he'd quit boxing before we see him on a non-PBC platform. I think he likes his 2nd checks with Haymon.

Comment

LOL he said that????

Yes, he said Mikey Garcia makes around three million a fight for SHO and he prepared him a better deal, "much" more money and he would be ****** to turn it down. Then was asked what if Mikey doesn't want to sign a long term deal and just a one fight deal. Hearn then said well yeah, but i won't be offering him the same type of money then.

Again why not? You need to prove your worth in the states and the concept of DAZN. Do you really expect these guys to get stuck with three or four fight deals? We have no idea the type of promoter he will be in the states. Like he is promoting Jacobs' third fight, and no one can say he has helped raise his profile. Now, maybe he will be more inclined to work harder for fighters on DAZN opposed to Jacobs who was on HBO. DAZN is his baby, while HBO is not. Either way, will be interesting to see the turn outs in his first few cards. I think the Chicago card will do well. Good fight town and lack of dates there is kind of baffling. More doubt about the Boston card.

Comment

Working...
                      X