Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last good White American champion......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
    Canelo.

He is white, of Mexican descent, and is from North America.

He is a good white American champ.
    Don’t think TS meant it like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      The very nature of this discussion is racially charged. I hesitate to join, but I think it might be worth mentioning a couple of things. There are probably several factors why there have been few, if any, dominant, recent white American boxers. Some studies have found that black people, as a whole, tend to have a greater number of fast-twitch muscle fibers than other races. This is quite possible, as it’s plain to see that blacks tend to excel at activities requiring speed. When was the last time anyone other than a black man won the 100 meter dash at the Olympics? As far as boxing goes, we all know the refrain, “speed kills.” Also, speed is a major component of power. Every now and then, you’ll get someone who bucks the trend — a white guy with exceptional speed, like Lomachenko — but, for the most part, when you see a truly fast fighter, he’s usually black. Is it a coincidence that Vasyl happens to be a P4P fighter with that speed? For those interested, there’s a book called “Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We’re Afraid to Talk About It,” by Jon Entine, which addresses the matter at length.

Boxing is a sport with a high dependence on speed. But what of the strength based sports, or endeavors where speed isn’t as important? I’ve enjoyed watching “World’s Strongest Man” competitions for years. Anyone watching would eventually note that men dominate that sport. And, as already mentioned by others, MMA and wrestling tend to be heavy on white champions. Maybe there isn’t just one reason for the imbalances. Maybe it’s all ultimately explainable through social and environmental means. Whatever the case, it’s interesting to note that there are obvious discrepancies we’re simply not sure about.

I'm not going to say you're wrong because there is something in what you're saying even if the PC cucks out there don't want to admit it, but we've managed to produce more white champions from a country with a 6th of America's population than America has since the 60's. Then there's eastern Europe.

In America, there's a large amount of people's environments shaping what they do. Ever noticed how almost all boxers are from Detroit, New York, Boston, Philly, Cleveland etc and never Lickspittle, Tennessee?

Up to the 50's there was a lot of white fighters, but they typically came from the most recent immigrant groups, Irish, Italian, Jewish etc. These people mainly lived in the densely packed inner cities, where there's most of the boxing gyms. There's not a lot of boxing gyms in small southern towns of 3000 people.

Then World War 2 happened, the GI bill helped these people get into college, industry boomed again and these people moved out more and more to the suburbs and small towns. Meanwhile, blacks moved from small towns and farm areas in the south to densely populated cities. The swing in demographics of boxing really showed by the 60's after that all took place. This is happening again now with the declining amount of black fighters and rising amount of Hispanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor Ramon View Post
        I'm not going to say you're wrong because there is something in what you're saying even if the PC cucks out there don't want to admit it, but we've managed to produce more white champions from a country with a 6th of America's population than America has since the 60's. Then there's eastern Europe.

In America, there's a large amount of people's environments shaping what they do. Ever noticed how almost all boxers are from Detroit, New York, Boston, Philly, Cleveland etc and never Lickspittle, Tennessee?

Up to the 50's there was a lot of white fighters, but they typically came from the most recent immigrant groups, Irish, Italian, Jewish etc. These people mainly lived in the densely packed inner cities, where there's most of the boxing gyms. There's not a lot of boxing gyms in small southern towns of 3000 people.

Then World War 2 happened, the GI bill helped these people get into college, industry boomed again and these people moved out more and more to the suburbs and small towns. Meanwhile, blacks moved from small towns and farm areas in the south to densely populated cities. The swing in demographics of boxing really showed by the 60's after that all took place. This is happening again now with the declining amount of black fighters and rising amount of Hispanics.
        As I said early in my post, there are probably several factors. The original question was about white American fighters, so that’s where my search for an answer was targeted. Blacks are a small minority in the US, yet they account for a highly disproportionate amount of successful athletes, especially in boxing. It’s true that other nations with much smaller populations than the US manage to produce white world boxing champions, but that doesn’t address the original question. I’m not trying to say blacks are genetically superior athletes, but there’s no getting around the fact that they dominate speed events on the international level.

Yours was a good addition to the conversation, with a few valid points. I agree with much of what you’re saying. Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
          You think Ward is greater than the following?

Harry Greb
          Willie Pep
          Benny Leonard
          Gene Tunney
          Billy Conn
          Tommy Loughran
          Mickey Walker
          Barney Ross
          Jimmy McLarnin
          Tony Canzaoneri
          Abe Attell
          Lou Ambers
          Stanley Ketchel
          Carmen Basilio
          Terry McGovern
          Ad Wolgast
          Sammy Angott
          Rocky Marciano
          Jack Dempsey
          Jack Britton
          Tommy Ryan

Just to name a few strictly from the US? If so you either don't know who they are or are very biased. They all have far superior legacies than Ward. That's just off the top of the head there's many more with better careers and legacies.

Pep & Greb are in most top 5's ever. Leonard is in most top 10's. Tunney, Ross, McLarnin are often in top 20's and a lot of the others would be in most top 50's. Ward wouldn't even sniff the top 100.

andre ward would whoop most of them dudes ass

Comment

Originally posted by Fabes88 View Post
            The title he won. He won the title. Therefore he was champion.

He made zero defense's, same as victor ortiz won the title and made no defense

Comment

Paulie probably thinks it's him.

Comment

Who writing the checks in boxing......

Comment

Wildin' Wilder says

Canelo

Comment

Working...
                  X