• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beggining of the end.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...hip-golden-boy

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      HBO banned him. Let's get that straight.

So in other words the video is partly true. HBO didn't want anything to do with Haymon, who had mostly black fighters, and shifted their attention to Eastern European fighters and cheap fights in lower weight classes.
      and rightfully so. unfortunately he had a puppet over at showtime that was willing to let him do anything he wanted in an attempt to beat hbo so the crap fights continued just on another network.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
        This is a terrible video. The only reason that HBO doesn't showcase as many black American fighters anymore is because of Al Haymon. 90% of the top black American fighters signed with Haymon and after he took his fighters from HBO to Showtime then HBO was forced to show more foreign fighters.
        What about White American fighters

Comment

Originally posted by Bigblackted44 View Post
          What about White American fighters
          get kelly pavlik back!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
            I'm not sure it was their "obsession". They lost Lomachenko because Top Rank went to ESPN and GGG would draw it's highest ratings outside of Canelo. I think Kovalev drew better than most on it too. It's not like the Super Fly cards are drawing well or if the Jacobs shows did well or if Ward was drawing well.

They simply just cut their budget and had less and less dates and promoters took their guys elsewhere. I don't think it's due to showing European boxers I think it's more down to they just didn't have regular programming.

I think it's very likely in 12 months there will be no more HBO Boxing. I think Kellerman and Lampley are insanely biased and at times annoying but I still like the production value and excitement that an HBO broadcast produces. A lot of classic fights I still watch to this day were HBO shows. Them days are gone.
            this is a fair assessment....

and i agree...i think lampley is really biased...but i do like the hbo production value for a big fight

Comment

100% true HBO has tried to make non american fighters stars in america for the last 5-10 years and it didn't work now they are dead as a boxing force watch HBO for Game of thrones.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                I am not that sure. Promoters will always go to where the money is regardless of spats. HBO just seemed to lose interest in boxing and started phasing it out budget wise, while putting their real money into their other programming like games of thrones. If HBO would have kept their budget up, promoters would have still followed the money.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  and rightfully so. unfortunately he had a puppet over at showtime that was willing to let him do anything he wanted in an attempt to beat hbo so the crap fights continued just on another network.
                  HBO boxing is dying while Showtime boxing is growing. And you still think it was a smart business decision for HBO to freeze out Haymon?

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
                    100% true HBO has tried to make non american fighters stars in america for the last 5-10 years and it didn't work now they are dead as a boxing force watch HBO for Game of thrones.
                    Yeah because Pacquaio, Canelo, Cotto never drew ratings and didn’t become household names. There’s always been plenty of non US fighters that drew well and drove HBO boxing.

HBO spend A LOT on Game of Thrones and simply cut their budget on Boxing and with limited dates and limited access to US fighters it’s natural that they are moving out of the game.

Comment

Idiotic. HBO's calendar being filled with (European) K2 and Main Events fighters is the effect, not the cause.

The cause is HBO no longer having the budget to afford the big names Haymon and Arum represent, so they're left buying cards featuring lower-drawing fighters on the cheap; mainly eastern-europeans and the super flyweights.

Comment

Working...
                      X