Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What re-known World champion was also a great trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What re-known World champion was also a great trainer?

What re-known World champion was also a great trainer?
    Boxers who excelled to the highest degree tend not to excel as trainers. Case in point; Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roy Jones Jr, Roberto Duran, Michael Spinks, Oscar De La Hoya, Wilfredo Gomez, Lupe Pintor, Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Tommy Hearns etc...aren't training any superstars...

Where as;
    Gus D'Amato, Ray Arcel, Floyd Mayweather Sr, Manuel Stewart, Angelo Dundee, Roach, Robert Diaz, Eddie Futch, Abel Sanchez, Berenstian, Gil Clancy, Evangelista Cotto, Papa Trinidad, Papa Loma etc... all of these guys had success as trainers at the highest levels. But as fighters they did not.

There is only one fighter That I recall, was a reknown world champion that I personally knew that did excelled as a trainer who went on to work with many world champions...can you guys guess?

You're thinking Buddy McGirt? Excellent fighter but not such a good trainer IMO even though he's worked with a few good world champions. Freddie Roach very good trainer but not an elite fighter. John David Jackson was a good fighter and is a good trainer but not great at either. Jeff Fenech was an excellent fighter and a good enough trainer but he hasn't been the lead trainer for any truly top level fighters.

I'm drawing a blank as to who was a great world champion fighter and then great full-time trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
      You're thinking Buddy McGirt? Excellent fighter but not such a good trainer IMO even though he's worked with a few good world champions. Freddie Roach very good trainer but not an elite fighter. John David Jackson was a good fighter and is a good trainer but not great at either. Jeff Fenech was an excellent fighter and a good enough trainer but he hasn't been the lead trainer for any truly top level fighters.

I'm drawing a blank as to who was a great world champion fighter and then great full-time trainer.
      Buddy McGirt definitely comes to mind as a guy who was a high level boxer & trainer. And Robert Garcia is the other one of "my era" in boxing. People forget he was a top 3ish 130lber & easily coulda been a Floyd opponent back in the day.

Idk enough about what JDJ did (besides Kovalev) & what Fenech did (besides Tyson) that would have me thinking as highly as I think of McGirt & Garcia as to this question.

I didn't see Roach as THAT high level a boxer & he obviously didn't win any world championships. Obviously a high level trainer doe.

And I'm sure there are some past era guys who would surely be among those two if I thought about this question more that aren't coming to mind right off for me now.

Comment

Buddy McGirt, Mark Breland, Curtis Cokes, and George Benton off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          Buddy McGirt, Mark Breland, Curtis Cokes, and George Benton off the top of my head.
          Cokes & Benton are for sure in the discussion.

What's Breland done besides work with Wilder? And idk if that is THAT much of a success outside of him winning fights & giving him that jab which is his most effective weapon outside of his power. Wilder getting the nickname of Windmill & all that. Nothing a trainer should be throwing on his resume although I'm sure he's cashing some nice checks for that gig all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Cokes & Benton are for sure in the discussion.

What's Breland done besides work with Wilder? And idk if that is THAT much of a success outside of him winning fights & giving him that jab which is his most effective weapon outside of his power. Wilder getting the nickname of Windmill & all that. Nothing a trainer should be throwing on his resume although I'm sure he's cashing some nice checks for that gig all the same.
            Pretty certain Breland also coached Vernon Forrest. Not sure who else he's trained, I thought there was another contender he was coaching. Not a 100% on that.

Comment

[QUOTE=sugar ray lenrd;19095143]What re-known World champion was also a great trainer?
              Boxers who excelled to the highest degree tend not to excel as trainers. Case in point; Muhammed Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roy Jones Jr, Roberto Duran, Michael Spinks, Oscar De La Hoya, Wilfredo Gomez, Lupe Pintor, Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Tommy Hearns etc...aren't training any superstars...

This is stupid thread. All those fighters named above chose not to become trainers So saying they dont excel as trainers is stupid. They chose to spend their time after boxing focusing on something else.

Comment

Roger Mayweather? McGirt and Robert Garcia are also good mentions

Comment

No Robert Garcia mention thus far is baffling.

I'll throw in Roger Mayweather as well, though his impact is questionable due to only really having success with his nephew compared to Floyd Sr who did it with multiple fighters.

Comment

Yeah, Garcia is up there. Nowhere near as good a fighter as McGirt but a much, much better trainer.

Comment

Working...
                    X