No announcement yet.

Is golovkin still in his prime at 36?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golovkin's obviously not in his prime.

he's in his mid 30's, had 350 amateur fights, and he blocks punches with his forehead.

and FFS just watch the fights. the guy is not in his prime, use your eyes and watch him in 2014.

Comment

Rigo fans certainly didn't think he was still prime at 37 when he lost to Loma. But somehow, Wilder fans still thought Ortiz was prime at 38+ when he beat him.

There are a lot of factors that determine a fighter's prime. Age is not the only factor, some peak sooner or later than others. You have to take into account how many fights they've had, how many wars they have been in, their style of fighting, etc. GGG has over 350 amateur fights, so there is no doubt they took their toll on his body over time. That said, I still think he is at 85-90% of his peak.

Comment

The best people to answer this are not going to be Canelo or GGG fans. Fans and experts with zero bias, those would be the ones to answer the question. I'd bet unbiased experts and fans would say he is not in his prime. Now how do we find those people to provide definitive answers.

Comment

No, But he will be 90yrs old in everyone's eyes come Sun. Morning

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
            Well depends on who you ask. calzaghe fans claimed that Hopkins was prime at 43. go figure....

Use common sense. How old are the average fighter when peaking? Physically it's probably around 28. Full package probably 2-3 years after that.

So GGG is not prime. How much has he fallen off? I guess we will have to wait and see, but given the fact that he hasn't taken that much punishment in his career, he is maybe at 80-85% of his lifetime max.
            This.
            Unless they are on PED's, Father Time will always win in the end.

Come on.. you guys should know this.

Comment

Originally posted by Death_Adder View Post
              36 and only four world champions faced.

36 and a wasted his prime on bums, dudes on house arrest and welter weights.

36 and a waste of a career.
              I get what you're saying, but he'll make more from this fight than you will in a lifetime. He's reached a status of probably like the top 5%(not sure if that's accurate at all) of boxers in terms of earning...so overall it's been a pretty successful career. I mean, they are fighting for money, right?

Comment

Working...
              X