Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturday is GGG's last fight with HBO. He's open to other options.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    Because he's a former member of the media and he boxing media still protects him. He has the job they all wish they had. The boxing media doesn't know **** about the business of boxing. All you have to do is look at their predictions about PBC/Haymon to see that. They had no idea what the hell they were talking about. From the lawsuits to TV deal. They were criticizing Espinoza when PBC started and speculated about his job being on the line. With Nelson they've pushed that lie that the budget would increase once HBO was sold. Well the deal went thru and looks like the budget decreased. There s a lot of collusion in the boxing media.
    100% truth. I can tell you that first hand from being a member of the media for so long. I've been on press row with all of the heavy hitters many times. Other than Iole, they don't have a ****ing clue how the business really works. It's embarrassing how naive most of them are. especially Rafael and Mannix. As much as I hate Trump, every time he talks about the fake news media, I can't help but think about Rafael and Mannix.

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTannen View Post
      Imagine he knocks canelo out and signs with showtime. Hbo would officially be dead
      Damn that'd be worst case scenario. And Danny Jacobs had a 3 fight deal with HBO and Hearn right? He could come right back on Showtime after his next fight which would give GGG opponents in Charlo and Jacobs II.

I have a feeling that he'll got to DAZN though

Comment

Because he's a former member of the media and he boxing media still protects him. He has the job they all wish they had. The boxing media doesn't know **** about the business of boxing. All you have to do is look at their predictions about PBC/Haymon to see that. They had no idea what the hell they were talking about. From the lawsuits to TV deal. They were criticizing Espinoza when PBC started and speculated about his job being on the line. With Nelson they've pushed that lie that the budget would increase once HBO was sold. Well the deal went thru and looks like the budget decreased. There s a lot of collusion in the boxing media. Those Golden Boy emails proved that. And the boxing media pushed that story out of the headlines quick and tried to absolve Golden Boy of any responsibility. I think they were really scared that their emails would be leaked.

But most of those guys are fighting on facebook

Yep. We saw that with Kathy Duva. She turned down a purse bid even though Kovalev didn't have a deal with HBO at the moment.
        I agree somewhat that boxing media is a joke

But I don’t think it has to do with incompetence but more with aligning to certain sides which ends up costing them their repuatation

The ones that predicted Haymon /PBC failure were the ones aligned with TR/HBO /GB or whoever else was on that side that’s why itnwas non stop negative press from them which makes it even funnier that they’ve proven to be wrong and look like idiots

As far as Nelson , I could care less that he was in the media or other reporters are envious. What he’s done since he’s been the man at HBO is nothing short of atrocious

It’s probably too late for HBO to gain even a little bit of traction in boxing and HBO seems to be completely out of Boxing and just cashing the Canelo cheques while there still around but there position as the go to network for decades as far as boxing to slipping to number 2 in a matter of months after PBC was announced to being on life support in a span of 3 years should fall on Nelson and his absolute sh.it job he’s done since he got the job.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          100% truth. I can tell you that first hand from being a member of the media for so long. I've been on press row with all of the heavy hitters many times. Other than Iole, they don't have a ****ing clue how the business really works. It's embarrassing how naive most of them are. especially Rafael and Mannix. As much as I hate Trump, every time he talks about the fake news media, I can't help but think about Rafael and Mannix.
          And those two are part of the biggest outlets. ESPN and Yahoo (Mannix used to be SI) They act as shills when the promoters need them more than they need them. I can understand Steve Kim shiling for access for his little website. But ESPN and Yahoo (SI) are so big their reporters shouldn't be a shill.

Comment

Because he's a former member of the media and he boxing media still protects him. He has the job they all wish they had. The boxing media doesn't know **** about the business of boxing. All you have to do is look at their predictions about PBC/Haymon to see that. They had no idea what the hell they were talking about. From the lawsuits to TV deal. They were criticizing Espinoza when PBC started and speculated about his job being on the line. With Nelson they've pushed that lie that the budget would increase once HBO was sold. Well the deal went thru and looks like the budget decreased. There s a lot of collusion in the boxing media. Those Golden Boy emails proved that. And the boxing media pushed that story out of the headlines quick and tried to absolve Golden Boy of any responsibility. I think they were really scared that their emails would be leaked.

But most of those guys are fighting on facebook

Yep. We saw that with Kathy Duva. She turned down a purse bid even though Kovalev didn't have a deal with HBO at the moment.
            I know; they won't be on Facebook forever though; you've got to open up spots for Tanajara, Gamez, Falcao and others as they start to come along.

2 Canelo PPVs (with BAD-type cards to pair with the re-air), another 2-3 HBO World Championship Boxing dates, and the return of Boxing After Dark, all featuring Golden Boy.

Comment

Hearn would do it, but it'd be a last resort for Loeffler. If GGG beats Canelo, Loeffler will want to leverage that for all it's worth. His best bet would still be keeping GGG at HBO if he can keep getting some dates from HBO. If HBO won't pony up, sure you try to use DAZN to create some leverage. But Loeffler created 360 in hopes he could take more control at HBO if he can get Canelo knocked off. Hearn will never give the kind of control Loeffler is hoping he can get at HBO.
              I think folks drastically overstate Golovkin's value as a draw, tbh

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
                I've always maintained that Golovkin will retire after this fight. This news confirms my suspicions. He's likely going to make $20-30M for this rematch.
                I've been thinking he could retire after this fight to, win or lose.

GGG is 36yrs old ffs. People don't realize how old that is in boxing cuz of Wlad, Bhop & Floyd maybe, but 36 is into the worst years for almost all the great fighters except the freakshow guys like the 3 mentioned & a handful or two historically like Archie Moore probably most notably. GGG's burning daylight on his career & with the money he's made with this HBO run he's gotta be set for life if he's reasonably smart with his money.

That said if he does keep fighting & specifically wins this Saturday it should get really interesting if HBO has pissed off GGG that much & DAZN, ESPN & PBC all start courting him for his services.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  How so

He consistently puts up the biggest ratings non hBO year after year even against sh.it opponets

He was just the b-side to a PPV that did 1.3 and this one will probably Do another 1 mil +

He consistently can sell over 10k seats in various venues from east to west and in the UK

He’s easily a top 5 draw in boxing. Just say he signed to PBC for one of their Fox cards he probably Does 3-5 million viewers

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                    Sure, but you can't blame Loeffler for trying to maximize leverage with his biggest chess piece.

GGG on his own isn't worth very much, but vs Canelo, he's worth a fortune. The best thing for GGG is to stay with HBO and pursue a third fight with Canelo regardless of the result of the second fight. And potentially even a fourth fight at some point if they end up tied 1-1-1.

Comment

Sure, but you can't blame Loeffler for trying to maximize leverage with his biggest chess piece.

GGG on his own isn't worth very much, but vs Canelo, he's worth a fortune. The best thing for GGG is to stay with HBO and pursue a third fight with Canelo regardless of the result of the second fight. And potentially even a fourth fight at some point if they end up tied 1-1-1.
                      But if he loses, he's done because Canelo will not give him another payday, he's not gonna fight Charlo. Its over for him

Comment

Working...
                      X