No announcement yet.

Mikey vs. Loma won't happen - And it's not Top Rank's fault

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikey vs. Loma won't happen - And it's not Top Rank's fault

The numbers for Mikey's recent fight with Robert Easter just came out, and like all his other fights on Showtime (minus the Broner fight), it produced pitiful numbers. He's been fighting on the network for two years now and has failed to break out. It's very obvious that the Broner fight was an outlier and generated the views because of Broner, not Mikey.

Keep in mind, Wilder does at least 1M on all of his fights on Showtime, so you can't play the low subscriber card anymore. The reality is that Mikey is not as big of a star as he, and his team, think he is.

Which brings me to the potential Lomachenko fight, and why the fight won't happen. Last week, Mark Kriegel interviewed Mikey for ESPN, which can be found here:
    http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...ican-superstar

He asked Mikey about the Lomachenko fight, and reminded him that the fight is the most lucrative for him, Mikey's response says it all:

Dollar for dollar, however, he knows the fight is Lomachenko. "He's a champion at 135. I'm about to unify the title at 135. But different promoters, different networks ... He brings the most -- more than Crawford, more than Spence -- less risk, more money."

So what's the problem? I remind him that Jorge Linares, promoted by Golden Boy, pushed hard to make his fight with Lomachenko.

"I wouldn't let Bob dictate all the terms after leaving his company," he said. "Linares gave up all his leverage in negotiation. ... He had to go to New York, fight on an ESPN show, under a Top Rank banner."

It didn't exactly spell doom for Linares' career. He fought on national television in Madison Square Garden. In fact, even after losing, Linares is bigger than he ever was. And he deserves it. He bet on himself, not a promoter.

Still, I can't help but wonder, if Linares could knock down Lomachenko, what would Mikey do?

"I'm not saying I could only fight on Showtime, but I wouldn't want Top Rank to be in charge of those decisions," Mikey said. "I'm not an 'opponent.' I don't believe I should be treated as an opponent." He pauses for a moment. "Would Lomachenko come to me?"
    That right there tells you all you need to know.

Bob Arum was right, Mikey is beyond delusional. He thinks he's a bigger star than he is. That's why Top Rank cut bait with him. But the numbers say otherwise. In this situation, with his pitiful numbers, he's not the ASide fighter but he thinks he is.

Maybe he needs to fight May 5th or September 16 week ends wearing a Somberro with Vicente Fernandez music cause if you have low numbers that means the Mexicans from Mexico are not watching your fights

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
      Maybe he needs to fight May 5th or September 16 week ends wearing a Somberro with Vicente Fernandez music cause if you have low numbers that means the Mexicans from Mexico are not watching your fights
      Mikey needs to embrace is inner Cholo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2xAZId24I

Comment

He isnt targeting Loma anyway so I dont get this thread

Comment

Originally posted by TheCell8 View Post
          That right there tells you all you need to know.

Bob Arum was right, Mikey is beyond delusional. He thinks he's a bigger star than he is. That's why Top Rank cut bait with him. But the numbers say otherwise. In this situation, with his pitiful numbers, he's not the ASide fighter but he thinks he is.

Mikey has no interest in fighting Lomachenko or Crawford. He wants to fight flat footed guys like himself as he does not want to get embarrassed.

Comment

Let's see if his Spence talk is real. I'd give him all the credit in the world for taking that fight.

But if not and he stays at 135, I think the fight will happen.

Comment

Thats a good thread and very valid points, Mikey and his team are delusional, they think Mikey could become that PPV star but he has no personality, no charisma and he totally overvalues himself. Numbers dont lie and Mikey doesnt do good numbers on TV, he is no star and he has such a big ego that he never ever wants to give control to another party, like Top Rank or Lomachenko, where Mikey would be pretty much the opponent and not the house fighter.

He better fights Spence next and will realize that

a) he is not as good as he is, he is no Pacquiao he will probably get battered by Spence.
              b) he is not a huge draw either, the PPV numbers will be disappointing.

Does Haymon overpay him with the intention to build Spence into a PPV star? Most probably, so there is also a good chance that Mikey retires soon, maybe 1-2 soft touches after the Spence beating, or a cashout fight and he is done.

Comment

The reason the fight isn’t happening is because of Arum that’s all there is to it

MIKEY holds 2 straps at 135 , TR soon to be Loma will hold the other 2 , Your telling me if Arum thought he could get all the straps from no risk like Indongo he wouldn’t set that fight up m

To claim Mikey has pitiful numbers on Showtime while Loma gets what maybe 2x as many viewer with a 4x larger subscriber base isnt really telling the whole story

For a 135 and under fighter Mikey has proven people will watch and with 12k + attendejcenhe puts butts in seats

Again Loma / Garcia isn’t happening because ofn1 man and that’s Arum

Comment

Loma a coward and has no intrest in fighting Mikey, he team has said it, top rank match makers have secretly told boxing insiders they are not intrested in Mikey that mikey will ko him.

So spin it all you want, the numebrs can be a trillion for mikey and lomachenko and top rank will never be interested. Nothing but weirdo names and rematches for lomachenko.

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
                    Loma a coward and has no intrest in fighting Mikey, he team has said it, top rank match makers have secretly told boxing insiders they are not intrested in Mikey that mikey will ko him.

So spin it all you want, the numebrs can be a trillion for mikey and lomachenko and top rank will never be interested. Nothing but weirdo names and rematches for lomachenko.
                    If you cannot distinguish Robert Garcia's statement as a complete lie, I don't know what to tell you LOL. Nobody would ever say that about their own fighter, ever! It is funny with Robert saying that not long after admitting that Bob Arum contacted him within days of the Linares fight to try to make the fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X