Hearn's First Show Oct 6 in Chicago, Andrade and Vargas Headlining

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearn's First Show Oct 6 in Chicago, Andrade and Vargas Headlining

Link

Anthony Joshua’s return to Wembley Stadium to defend his three heavyweight belts Sept. 22 against Russia’s Alexander Povetkin will launch the new $1-billion streaming venture DAZN, the company announced Tuesday.

The early fall schedule for DAZN (pronounced “The Zone”) will also include a stacked Sept. 29 Bellator MMA card in San Jose, a Chicago-based boxing card Oct. 6 and another Bellator show on Oct. 12.

The Chicago boxing card will include former welterweight champion Jessie Vargas and middleweight contender Demetrius Andrade.

The boxers are linked to Joshua’s Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn, whose stable has been boosted by fights including light-heavyweight Artur Beterbiev and heavyweight Jarrell Miller.

The over-the-top streaming service will launch Sept. 10 and allow subscribers a free one-month trial before a monthly fee of $9.99 begins.

England’s Joshua (21-0, 20 knockouts) previously fought in the U.S. for Showtime.

He engaged in the 2017 fight of the year at Wembley when he vanquished long-reigning champion Wladimir Klitschko by 11th-round technical knockout.

The 38-year-old Povetkin (34-1, 24 KOs) previously lost a title shot at Klitschko in 2013 by getting knocked down four times in a bout in Moscow.

“We launched DAZN to disrupt the status quo and change the way the world sees sports,” DAZN CEO James Rushton said.

Crazy how a British promoter is the one bringing Boxing to Chicago. 3rd largest city in the USA and it's been pretty much ignored.

Comment

$9.99 is a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boi 360 View Post
        Crazy how a British promoter is the one bringing Boxing to Chicago. 3rd largest city in the USA and it's been pretty much ignored.

they have hugely popular sports teams. blackhawks and cubs are insanely popular, i'm in chicago all the time and the people really love those teams. bulls used to be, too. 4-5 million people showed up for the cubs world series parade!

but yeah, i think if you had a kid from chicago you could turn him into a draw and a star if he had the goods. eddie hearn probably won't be the guy to do that, but props for trying.

it's too bad eddie hearn is avoiding wilder like the plague, i typically like the guy.

Comment

9.99 is a damn bargain! I can see a lot of subscribers for the first month, if it's good they may keep it on due to the 32 Matchroom shows a year, plus the 21 WBSS shows, insane value.

If I was in the U.S I'd snap this up.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyJonesJrp4pno1 View Post
            $9.99 is a good price.
            Depends. They don't have the fighters right now to make it worth the price tag, but the WBSS tournament is the X-factor. Good talent in that tourney so that should help.

I'm happy for guys like Andrade/Beterbiev signing with Hearn. Hopefully that doesn't affect them getting fights against the top guys on other networks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
              9.99 is a damn bargain! I can see a lot of subscribers for the first month, if it's good they may keep it on due to the 32 Matchroom shows a year, plus the 21 WBSS shows, insane value.

If I was in the U.S I'd snap this up.
              LOL, how is it a bargain? It is far from a bargain. Not a terrible price tag, but no way you can say it is a bargain when it doesn't even have any real star or P4P guys on it. Maybe a guy like Andrade could emerge to P4P status with Hearn and hopefully being active. But you could miss me with the Matchroom cards. A lot of them are the definition of MEH. They are always stacked with names.....fighting absolute nobodies.

What I do like about Hearn in the states is he mentioned bringing boxing to cities like Chicago and NO. That's what we need here. Why the hell is Memphis or Boston or Chicago or NO getting little to no boxing? Makes little sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                Depends. They don't have the fighters right now to make it worth the price tag, but the WBSS tournament is the X-factor. Good talent in that tourney so that should help.

I'm happy for guys like Andrade/Beterbiev signing with Hearn. Hopefully that doesn't affect them getting fights against the top guys on other networks though.
                120 bucks a year for Hearn, Bellator and WBSS.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyJonesJrp4pno1 View Post
                  120 bucks a year for Hearn, Bellator and WBSS.
                  Bellator? Big MEH. WBSS is the only thing that makes it worth it. You aren't paying $120 bucks for a bunch of Andrade/Vargas/Beterbiev cards and Matchroom cards. This by no means is a bargain, but it isn't a terrible pricing point either.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
                    LOL, how is it a bargain? It is far from a bargain. Not a terrible price tag, but no way you can say it is a bargain when it doesn't even have any real star or P4P guys on it. Maybe a guy like Andrade could emerge to P4P status with Hearn and hopefully being active. But you could miss me with the Matchroom cards. A lot of them are the definition of MEH. They are always stacked with names.....fighting absolute nobodies.

What I do like about Hearn in the states is he mentioned bringing boxing to cities like Chicago and NO. That's what we need here. Why the hell is Memphis or Boston or Chicago or NO getting little to no boxing? Makes little sense.
                    53 shows and the whole cards broadcast. That works out as $2 per card including the first month free.

$110 dollars is a damn bargain for that amount of boxing, there is no denying it.

Comment

Working...
                    X