No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Winky Wright Backs Wilder To Beat Joshua, Explains Why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holler View Post
    I'm strictly a fan rather than a boxing strategist and there are dozens of posters here with ring experience or without who could answer that question so much more effectively that it seems foolish to attempt it!

My guess is that it would involve a strict control of distance via the jab and an approach to the inside which would limit Wilder's chance of landing the straight right, but as above I'm a lot more confident about the business of boxing than the sweet science itself. It's probably a question worthy of its own thread as I would love to see what some of the posters here would come up with.

I would say however that your saying wilder will throw bombs for 12 rounds? First off he seems awfully exposed to the counter when he throws and that's something AJ is good at. Secondly, who has he ever fought that's in AJs class? It strikes me your making an assessment based on Wilder's record against second rare opponents. He's faced Ortiz recently and was outboxing for most of that fight in my view.
    Seems to me you can be a tough SOB and capable of throwing bombs for 12 rounds regardless of past opponents.

As far as AJs class, tbh that has yet to be determined. I would say Ortiz has as much skills if not more for a big heavyweight as AJ.

As far as the game plan, Duhaupas tried exactly that. Granted he is not as powerful as AJ, he ate a lot of counter body shots and overhand tights after throwing the jab. In close he caught a lot of upper cuts, similar to the one that KOd Ortiz.

If AJ can counter Wilders jab consistently I'd be surprised. He just isn't that fast twitched. What he can do is be aggressive and look to land an overhand right. If he gasses tho, its goodnight irene. Wilder forces you to work to land good shots and hits as hard through the guard and to the body. AJ would need much more stamina than he has displayed so far in order to beat Wilder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ake-Dawg View Post
      Seems to me you can be a tough SOB and capable of throwing bombs for 12 rounds regardless of past opponents.

As far as AJs class, tbh that has yet to be determined. I would say Ortiz has as much skills if not more for a big heavyweight as AJ.

As far as the game plan, Duhaupas tried exactly that. Granted he is not as powerful as AJ, he ate a lot of counter body shots and overhand tights after throwing the jab. In close he caught a lot of upper cuts, similar to the one that KOd Ortiz.

If AJ can counter Wilders jab consistently I'd be surprised. He just isn't that fast twitched. What he can do is be aggressive and look to land an overhand right. If he gasses tho, its goodnight irene. Wilder forces you to work to land good shots and hits as hard through the guard and to the body. AJ would need much more stamina than he has displayed so far in order to beat Wilder.
      All of this makes me believe that we'll get an early KO either way.

AJ is terrified of rights hands (his tape shows that w/ the unnecessary excessive "hop back" he does when he thinks it's coming). I think he goes in there and tries to get Wilder out immediately lol if he doesn't, he's probably going to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        you must, or you wouldnt have clicked on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Joshua needs to make sure this fight happens next before he gets war torn.
          U mean wilder?

Comment

Seems to me you can be a tough SOB and capable of throwing bombs for 12 rounds regardless of past opponents
            Sure, but the quality and intensity of what's coming the other way won't necessarily be comparable.

Maybe wilder wouldn't have been throwing so may shots if he'd been facing more dangerous fighters?

Comment

Originally posted by Butch.McRae View Post
              All of this makes me believe that we'll get an early KO either way.

AJ is terrified of rights hands (his tape shows that w/ the unnecessary excessive "hop back" he does when he thinks it's coming). I think he goes in there and tries to get Wilder out immediately lol if he doesn't, he's probably going to sleep.
              I rewatched the Klitschko fight and see exactly what you're talking about. I also noticed that the snap in his punches diminished after the 3rd round. I dont see how it goes past 7 or 8.

Comment

I rewatched the Klitschko fight and see exactly what you're talking about. I also noticed that the snap in his punches diminished after the 3rd round. I dont see how it goes past 7 or 8.
                Check out the Parker fight too. He did that constantly through the fight. Breadman put me on it. It's weird because Parker never really threatened with anything big. You almost get the impression that he's a little chinny.

I'm just shocked that he does it while moving in a straight line. If Wilder catches him doing that, he'll be savagely KO'd. That 84" reach goes a long way, and Wilder likes to take a big step (sometimes a legit hop lol) when he throws that 1-2.

That has to be something they're working on.
                Last edited by Butch.McRae; 07-09-2018, 11:41 AM.

Comment

good assessment, i personally feel that wilder is over rated and he wont win the fight in london, joshua may well be a bit over rated himself but hes a better boxer than wilder and id say will find a way to win the fight

Comment

pretty much every pro is picking wilder to win

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
                      Sure, but the quality and intensity of what's coming the other way won't necessarily be comparable.

Maybe wilder wouldn't have been throwing so may shots if he'd been facing more dangerous fighters?
                      Throwing less shots per round is likely to guarantee that he can throw bombs 1-12. The guy is 6-7 but only 220. Stamina isn't and issue.

Who in the heavyweight division can put enough consistent pressure on Wilder to take the steam out of his punches? The other guys with big punches all are known to gas.

Comment

Working...
                      X