Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does boxing mean to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling world champions bums on NSB, obviously.

Comment

The epitome of competition

Comment

Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
        The epitome of competition
        and corruption

Comment

Passing of torches. It is amazing how many fighters can be connected. Mayweather-De La Hoya - Hopkins- Jones Jr- Toney- Holyfield- Tyson- Holmes- Ali.

Incredible.

Comment

GP sums it up in this one example. This is boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanTosic View Post
              It may sound as an overused phrase but boxing saved me and helped me during the darkest years of my life and made me feel the self-worth and self-respect for the first time. Boxing tought me self-perservance, discipline, hard work, but most importantly that everything is possible when you put your whole being in it and that we are capable of a lot, to always trust in myself.

That's why I hate corruption in it, also the haters and cheerleaders who never laced a pair of gloves and are only supporting an individual or a particular race instead of showing a bit of respect for the sport. The corruption may never stop, the talent pool may vary and there may be the times where there isn't a lot of exciting fights/fighters, and I may feel dissapointed because of it, but I won't ever stop being in love with boxing as a sport.
              This. So much this.

Been a boxing fan for about 10-11 years, but only started boxing myself in January, weighing 234 lbs. Had my first fight on Saturday, weighing 183.5 lbs. Because I'm odd, it was a chessboxing bout, so while I won every boxing round (4 of the 5 scheduled) I lost on the chess, albeit having been a pawn up in a very even game. Not disappointed in the slightest, because a few years ago I was so terrified of failing in any area that I wouldn't put myself out there at all - in 2010 I failed the second year of my undergrad degree because I freaked out not achieving and never actually handed in any work. Having got healthy in the past 6 months, I'm doing well with my PhD and with life in general.

Boxing meant so much to me as a fan, but now I do it myself, I'm not only in utter awe at the pros when I watch them, but that meaning has deepened so much, and helped me in ways I never anticipated.

Comment

Big drama show

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
                  This. So much this.

Been a boxing fan for about 10-11 years, but only started boxing myself in January, weighing 234 lbs. Had my first fight on Saturday, weighing 183.5 lbs. Because I'm odd, it was a chessboxing bout, so while I won every boxing round (4 of the 5 scheduled) I lost on the chess, albeit having been a pawn up in a very even game. Not disappointed in the slightest, because a few years ago I was so terrified of failing in any area that I wouldn't put myself out there at all - in 2010 I failed the second year of my undergrad degree because I freaked out not achieving and never actually handed in any work. Having got healthy in the past 6 months, I'm doing well with my PhD and with life in general.

Boxing meant so much to me as a fan, but now I do it myself, I'm not only in utter awe at the pros when I watch them, but that meaning has deepened so much, and helped me in ways I never anticipated.
                  Chess boxing huh? That's something I always wanted to try - did boxing (honestly more glorified sparring) for a coupla years back in the early nineties before I got myself in a mess with drink and drugs, but it was BJJ that I took to when I finally got outta that ****. I'll still spar a bit though when I find someone willing. Always was a keen chess player though - County level as a kid..

What are you? Coming up for 30 and 183Lbs? If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Stockport drop me a PM or something... you're a youngster compared to me and I wouldn't be surprised if you can kick my ass boxing /sparring but I'm still game and I reckon I'll have your number at chess.

EDIT: And great to hear you got your **** together, and how boxing helped you. Stay strong, man.
                  Last edited by Citizen Koba; 06-25-2018, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Its the easiest sport to follow. only two major fights per year. for a busy mofo thats the perfect sport. NBA fans gotta keep up with 82 games. Fucc all that I only watch the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                      Chess boxing huh? That's something I always wanted to try - did boxing (honestly more glorified sparring) for a coupla years back in the early nineties before I got myself in a mess with drink and drugs, but it was BJJ that I took to when I finally got outta that ****. I'll still spar a bit though when I find someone willing. Always was a keen chess player though - County level as a kid..

What are you? Coming up for 30 and 183Lbs? If you ever find yourself in the vicinity of Stockport drop me a PM or something... you're a youngster compared to me and I wouldn't be surprised if you can kick my ass boxing /sparring but I'm still game and I reckon I'll have your number at chess.

EDIT: And great to hear you got your **** together, and how boxing helped you. Stay strong, man.
                      Thanks for the kind words mate. Even though I sound somewhat public school - I did go to one, I suppose - I know Stockport well, I was actually born in Stepping Hill and my dad's from Gorton!

I'm 28 and 183 lbs atm, but if I were to do it again I'd want to get to 165.5 lbs, which is 75kg. The guy I fought on Saturday was about 210lbs - he was overweight so it didn't help him offensively, but it helped him stay up when I landed hard shots., so I definitely want to fight someone my weight next time! He's a slightly better chess player than me, about 170/175 ECF (2000 elo for any non-UK guys) and I'm about 160/165 ECF (1900-1950 elo). What about you?

EDIT: I'm based in London, and amazingly there are actually dedicated chessboxing sessions every week at Islington ABC
                      Last edited by gingerbreadman; 06-25-2018, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X