Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made Canelo fail versus GGG the first time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are both great fighters but I think GGG is enough greater to make up for Canelo being 27 to his 36. GGG is a very good boxer himself with probably boxing best jab. He hits harder than Canelo and takes a punch better and he has much better stamina. GGG is just a very hard fighter to beat. I don't think any other middleweight can beat him now either. Old age will probably eventually get him beat by a great younger fighter if he doesn't retire first. He is not old enough to lose yet. If GGG were not around I think Canelo would be the world's best middleweight.

Comment

Canelo has a lot tools but he simply fights in spurts and doesn't have great stamina. Where Floyd was successful in also fighting in spurts is he was able to read a fighter very early and have the ability to adapt and switch things up round by round without really getting hit. With Canelo, sorta like GGG, what you see is what you get. He's painted as this "slick" fighter when overall he's a solid counter puncher with pretty good defense but nothing out of this world. GGG had trouble early but once rounds 4-5 came along you could clearly see him walking Canelo down with Canelo not really making any adjustments and or CLINCHING. That is a huge piece missing in his arsenal which I think could be very beneficial for him in the rematch. I don't think it'll show up in September though. Overall GGG was just the busier guy and Canelo didn't seem to be able to get away from GGG's jab for most of the night. Canelo to me got rounds based on 20-30 seconds of work where GGG seemed to push the pace for most of the rounds while still landing. Canelo HAS to throw more and not fade in the middle rounds. If GGG starts early I'm curious as to how Canelo's gas tank will be come rounds 9-10.
      Last edited by RL_GMA; 06-19-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

the judges made the mistakes. he won 10-2

Comment

Canelo has more problems than just his stamina. He doesn't or didn't have the power to back Golovkin up. Ask yourself how often did he have Golovkin on the ropes? Could not take away Golovkin's jab. Showed poor tactics as in going to the ropes against the instructions of his corner. That may or may not be related to his stamina but I think its mostly part of his style. He has a lot of work cut out for him to win the rematch. I think he's going to come in light and try to attack in spurts but sidestep Golovkin rather than going to the ropes. He can't fight with his back to the ropes. Golovkin will just pot shot him and feint to get him to move unnecessarily. Make him look foolish and expend energy.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
            I think it's fair to say that Nelo had more tools than GGG going into that fight:

-Speed
            -Timing
            -Reflexes
            -Defenses
            -Youth

While GGG only had over Nelo IMO:
            -Size (lenght)
            -Stamina

Both are accurate, experienced, strong and hard chinned.

Yet he failed to beat GGG as the challenger.

Some people think Nelo won (most think GGG won) OK but that's not the debate.

We can all agree that Nelo had the tools to clearly beat in most people eyez GGG and he didn't.

My question is why?

IMO I think it was mental and GGG edged it (or made it close) with his will and adjustments.

Nelo started naturally outboxing GGG then GGG imposed his will and mental strenght on Nelo.

Sometimes it looked like if Nelo could he would have jumped outta the ring. He looked trapped most of the fight and somehow beaten mentally.

(the fact that he could have cheated for the rematch, shows that mental edge IMO)

Maybe Nelo was surprised by that pressure and will adjust in the rematch, (or "cycled" his but off)

BUT, the person I saw really adjusting was GGG IMO, he's the one who won the second half of the fight. If you look at the fight, GGG changed a bit his stance, closed more his guard, and worked with short punches somehow pitty pat combos wich was very effective. But GGG missed most of his big shots and that's on what Nelo mostly focused IMO, not being caught by something big.

I think Canelo didn't win because he never made strategic adjusments and let GGG work too much, crumbled under his will/stamina/workrate.
            Power, Nelo hit him with some shots that would KO any of his previous opponents, GGG smiled and walked forward!

Comment

Clenelo stamina workrate is low its that simple you over thinking this

Comment

Who knows, hard to say

Comment

GGGs jab, that was the only significant flush shot GGG was able to land, and that was more than enough to keep Canelo from truly engaging GGG.

Comment

Add me to the "stamina" list here. Canelo just doesn't have it -- and he knows it.

Comment

May Be golovkin might just a better boxer than people think, know that might be a crazy suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                      X