No announcement yet.

How would you honestly rate Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    Stop the replying and go get some fresh air. You can thank me later. The guy is making obvious jokes and you're on the fence as to whether he's serious??.....
    For fuk's sake....

I'm not so sure he's joking. I've seen him make a lot of dumb posts before. And your assessment above was fair but I certainly don't need you telling me how to react to ignorance bro. Just don't be under that hammer and you'll do just fine.

Comment

A-

A- he isnt just a one dimensional brawler he has the ability to box and shows much ring intelligence with his skills. His resume isn't the best but he has top names on their in Canelo, Jacob's as well as ok to decent wins in Lemuiex,Murray,Rosado, and Macklin.

But he lacks a strong defense that would make him a all around perfect fighter. A-

Comment

Slightly higher that Canelo and Jacobs.

Comment

Avoided this thread because it's hard to give an honest grade w/o people freaking the fuk out. I like GG but just as the same with Pac, his fans are often rabid and many are uneducated in the science so they just get emotional rather than actually debate points.

In his division, at this point in time, I give him an A-. Against nobodies, he looked surreal. The two competent fighters he's faced have definitely humanized him. But, not to the point that he's B-level right now.

In an all-time sense though; B. That doesn't mean he's a "B-fighter". Just that on a 13-point scale between F and A+, he sits at a '9', which would be B. A lot of people here are going to struggle with that you simply can't take a guy whose best work is 2 very close fights against Jacobs and Canelo and say he's more than a B in an all-time sense. There's still time for him to rank up though.
          Can't agree. Look at Ali. Close fights against Frazier, Norton and got knocked down by several guys. Having a close fight isn't an extraordinary event.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
            I'm not so sure he's joking. I've seen him make a lot of dumb posts before. And your assessment above was fair but I certainly don't need you telling me how to react to ignorance bro. Just don't be under that hammer and you'll do just fine.
            lol, don't puff up.
            Regarding Daggum, he's complicated but here's a basic guide;
            -Anything brief he posts is dripping in sarcasm.
            -Anything long he posts is dead serious, and usually seething.

You may have not interacted with him as much as I have so I won't give you too hard a time. I rarely agree with him but I do respect the guy in a way because I see he genuinely loves boxing.

Comment

lol, don't puff up.
              Regarding Daggum, he's complicated but here's a basic guide;
              -Anything brief he posts is dripping in sarcasm.
              -Anything long he posts is dead serious, and usually seething.

You may have not interacted with him as much as I have so I won't give you too hard a time. I rarely agree with him but I do respect the guy in a way because I see he genuinely loves boxing.
              He has a strong bias and generally dislikes black fighters. Let's just tell it how it is.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                Can't agree. Look at Ali. Close fights against Frazier, Norton and got knocked down by several guys. Having a close fight isn't an extraordinary event.
                If you think Canelo and Jacobs are parallels to guys like Frazier and Norton, then we have vastly different views on the sport. Joe Frazier is a legend. Who is going to be talking about Danny Jacobs in 40 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
                  You call Mayweather an A+ fighter. First I'd rather use a scale of 0/100. There is no perfect fighter just like there is no perfect looking woman. Every fighter no matter how great they are has flaws. Is Floyd clearly an A fighter, absolutely. Is he 97 out 100 maybe, I have him more in the mid 90s.

But let's go with your rating, he is an A+ fighter. What other A fighter did he face that was an A fighter at the time he fought them? I'm not talking about a fighter who was living off his rep. I am talking about a fighter who was clearly an A fighter at the time he faced them. Two of the guys he beat I give Mayweather more credit for than many do (especially the casuals) are Corrales and Castillo. But were they truly A level fighters if we are going by your criteria? I do not think anybody in boxing would consider those guys A level fighters while Golovkin isn't.

Golovkin is clearly an A level fighter in the way boxing people throw out letter grades. When people say B level fighter they are talking about guys like Arturo Gatti and Mickey Ward. Solid fighters but not upper echelon. They aren't referring to guys like Canelo and Jacobs. B level guys are guys like Jeff Horn and probably a guy like Berto. There are lots of B level fighters who get lots of air time.

Now where Golovkin is exactly on that range is going to always remain a question to me. He isn't worse than a 90 IMO. He is 36 years old, unfortunately we did not get to see him earlier in his career take on better opponents. Based on what I've seen I think he would have him beating any MW post Hopkins. I believe he beats every fighter Hopkins beat during his run. But we will never know. He still has some time to go. I'd rank him right now low 90's, with a cap of probably 95 if he made some career ending run of Ws.
                  Corrales, Castillo, Zab Judah, Shane Mosley, Miguel Cotto, Juan Manuel Marquez, an old Oscar De La Hoya at Oscar's preferred 154lbs. Saul Alvarez has gone on to prove his ability, but where folks rate him is still being discussed.

All were good to great fighters (put them on the scale where you want), and Floyd left hardly any doubt that he was better than all of them.

If Golovkin is considered an A fighter, then that inherently means that Saul Alvarez, Daniel Jacobs, and likely Billy Joe Saunders are all A fighters as well, since Golovkin has already shown that he's basically on par with Alvarez and Jacobs and his camp wasn't all that gung-ho to fight Saunders either.

Comment

If you think Canelo and Jacobs are parallels to guys like Frazier and Norton, then we have vastly different views on the sport. Joe Frazier is a legend. Who is going to be talking about Danny Jacobs in 40 years?
                    Yeah we have vastly different views of boxing. I agree.

Comment

B level fighter simple as that!

Barely beat Jacobs who I thought should've won the fight and got gifted a draw against Canelo with ineffective and wasteful pressure high volume punching while getting countered to death to the head an body by a career welter/jr middleweight!

Everyone swear he was the best of thw best until Ward pulled his hoe card, while ggg was put on the p4p list for beating Macklin, Stevens, Adama, and Wade...Ward moved up and face undefeated p4p champ Kov and barely got credit!

Canelo who's elite will straighten all this mess out, he already exposed how limited ggg is in the first fight!

In the rematch i expect him to take ggg out like last nites garbage and rid us the rest of ggg fanatics once and for ALL!!

Comment

Working...
                      X