How would you honestly rate Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheReadyTimeBoy View Post
    An excellent fighter.

Fans who have never boxed can't notice the little stuff golovkin does. His footwork, feints and control of distance is all unbelievable.
    Any real boxing fan can see that stuff as well. This is just a bunch of haters including the TS. Pathetic

Comment

• hes a master offensive boxer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
        I don't care about Gatti, but that's not the point you're trying to spin so whatever. Any honest look at Gatti's stance when he fought Floyd would put him, on the Madden scale, at maybe 81-78 RB (a C+ player; good enough to be on a team, but generally not a back you'd have carrying the load).

Floyd Mayweather Jr, 16 months removed from ruling 135 and after ruling 130, shows up and makes Gatti, a rugged with an easy 10 years of fighting solid fighters as a pro, look like he'd never been in a boxing ring before.

Floyd was fast, Floyd was strong, Floyd was smart, and Floyd laid an utter beating on Gatti without Gatti really even landing a glove on him. Floyd was a 99 that night.

The opponent can be as good as they want to be; if they can't barely even lay a hand on Floyd, Floyd's ability level is world's beyond who he was facing, who have basically been good to great fighters since he fought Genaro Hernandez.

It's clear that you're too old to even fathom Madden, so I'll try a different tact.

Michael Jordan, in his prime, was arguably the best basketball player to ever put on sneakers. If you were to have played him 1-on-1 to 21, he'd likely beat you every time. Quibble about where Jordan's peak was if you want, but let's use the 92-93 season for argument's sake.

He'd beat a 5th and 8th grade star 21-0, he beats the 1992 high School POY (Jason Kidd) 21-0, beats the 1992 College POY (Christian Laettner) 21-2, does any NBA old timer the same way, and likely beats everyone that was in the 1992 All Star game with him.

You could see how special a player Jordan was, regardless of who he was playing.
        I grew up playing Madden. You are just a bit over the top with the Madden gauge. And please stop with Gatti. Gatti was a decent fighter who wasn’t even close to elite. Again DLH destroyed him five years earlier and stopped him earlier.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2001/03/25/sports/boxing-savvy-de-la-hoya-stops-gatti-with-technical-knockout.html

I do not disagree with you about being able to watch an athlete and see how special they are.

And this is why Golovkin is a +90 fighter. It is why the overwhelming amount of people who cover boxing rank him as excellent (A level). His competition has not been great but people see a top level fighter. They see what he has done in the ring and who avoided him. It is clear the guy is top notch to people in boxing. There is a very small fringe, mostly people like you who have no voice beyond a forum like this, who believe otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
          and who avoided him.
          noone should be rated on what they HAVENT done, let alone boxers.

why does GGG get a free pass for getting stars for not doing stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
            people think he lost both fights. so he didnr seperate himself.

i guess pacquiao seperated himself from marquez in your mind after pacquiao won the 2nd and 3rd marquez fights too huh?
            Very little experts think he lost both fights and neither do those who know the sport. GGG almost doubled both in connects. Go to Youtube and research it. Jacobs and Canelo fanboys only dispute those fights.

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamFighter View Post
              ah thats fine then, nice one if I missed the important bit.

Just wondering why non-events were being used in his assessment.
              I think they are relevant. Martinez not fighting him. Cotto not fighting him and Canelo waiting a few years I think tell you something about his quality.

If you are just assess a resume on opponents you obviously can’t factor those lack of names. If you are doing an in-depth analysis of a fighter you have to look at everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diego Rodriguez View Post
                I think they are relevant. Martinez not fighting him. Cotto not fighting him and Canelo waiting a few years I think tell you something about his quality.

If you are just assess a resume on opponents you obviously can’t factor those lack of names. If you are doing an in-depth analysis of a fighter you have to look at everything.
                they are not, you cannot judge someone by whom they havent fought. In fact the overwhelming conclusion should be the opposite, its him who doesnt have the names on his resume. God knows why the truth gets reversed when its GGG.

Comment

noone should be rated on what they HAVENT done, let alone boxers.

why does GGG get a free pass for getting stars for not doing stuff.
                  When I am putting together my analysis of a boxer you better believe I am going to put that into consideration eveything, including if there is reasonable evidence that a fighter was avoided by other fighters.

People are going to give Canelo credit for beating Cotto. Yet I am not to even consider the fact that Cotto wanted no part of Golovkin at MW? I am to give Cotto credit for the Martinez victory but not consider Martinez stated he wasn't ready for Golovkin.

By the way beating a over the hill Cotto and a one legged Martinez (the one Cotto) fought wouldn't be huge notches in my view for Golovkin. But among the "casual historians" as I deem them it would be significant. These are the guys who love names on guys resume regardless if they actually were prime or near prime fighters. Floyd is the perfect example. How many times do you hear names like DLH and Cotto. Guys who were no where near prime but with the casual historians give Floyd's resume a big boost. In fact lesser known fighters like Castillo and Corrales were far more significant Ws IMO (well at least the 2nd Castillo fight).

Comment

they are not, you cannot judge someone by whom they havent fought. In fact the overwhelming conclusion should be the opposite, its him who doesnt have the names on his resume. God knows why the truth gets reversed when its GGG.

We do not have blinders on. Do you really think the Martinez that fought Cotto had a chance in the world to beat Golovkin? I am not talking about the prime Martinez, I'm talking about one legged version. Do you think Cotto who fought Canelo is beating Golovkin? If those guys are getting big credit for those Ws I am absolutely going to consider the fact that neither guy wanted anything to do with Golovkin as a consideration in Golovkin's favor when I'm assessing him.

This isn't something specific to Golovkin. I'm not interested in your hater and fanboy arguments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
                      Very little experts think he lost both fights and neither do those who know the sport. GGG almost doubled both in connects. Go to Youtube and research it. Jacobs and Canelo fanboys only dispute those fights.
                      It is an urban legend propagated by the hater crowd.

More people believe Mayweather lost the first Castillo fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X