Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Pavlik: I Would Rather Have Fought Froch Than Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously, Froch was equal or ahead of Taylor entering that last rd. So Pavlik got that one wrong.

But i believe the Pavlik who KO'd Taylor would have done the same to Froch. Too good technically, deceptively good defense, and Froch too open and relying too much on his chin.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
      The Jones fight offered more money so he went there instead. After Calzaghe's divorce, he wanted to put as much money as he could in his retirement fund.

Plus, the fight would have been at Lightheavy so no one would have given Calzaghe a shred of credit for the win the way they did with Hopkins. They also would have claimed Calzaghe ducked Jones. So it was a no win situation.
      I don't think the fight against Roy did offer more money. Because he was so desperate to end his career with Roy's name on his resume, he agreed to give Roy 50% of everything. And I believe that the fight flopped on PPV.

Roy was finished as a top level fighter, and Joe had dismissed him as a threat on 2 occasions, once on live TV, and again in his autobiography. Nobody wanted that fight.

The Pavlik fight was much more relevant, as he'd called out Joe and he was very popular at the time. Joe would probably have beaten him just as easy as what Bernard did, and he'd have received a lot more credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post
        Well, no one's chin is eternal. Froch was knocked down hard by George Groves; had he taken a serious shot by Pavlik, he might have been hurt for good.
        I never said it was eternal, but it was as rock solid as it gets. Froch had the much better chin out of the 2 of them. Don't forget that Pavlik was wobbled by Hopkins. Hit him enough times and he goes which is why i'd pick Froch by late stoppage.

Groves is more explosive, faster, and a harder hitter than Pavlik. Well, he was when he fought Froch anyway. Seems to have lost quite a bit of steam on his shots these days.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Not a single person in the wold would have said Calzaghe ducked Jones.

No one wanted to see that fight.

Pavlik was the 10 times better option as was Dawson.
          Plenty of people would have said Joe ducked Jones. You know what people are like. If he took on Pavlik at Lightheavy, not many people would have given credit for it. They would have said the weight was too much and the win means nothing. You know they would. You spend enough time on here to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
            106-107 going into their 12th round that's 7-4 or 8-3 . That's a pretty good lead. Give froch the last round if Jermain would had just clitched it would had been 7-5. That's a walk in my book. Taylor had the first 4-5 rounds.
            Yeah, you don't know hoe to score a fight. Only the Mexicans are worse than Americans. Give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by epyh View Post
              Obviously, Froch was equal or ahead of Taylor entering that last rd. So Pavlik got that one wrong.

But i believe the Pavlik who KO'd Taylor would have done the same to Froch. Too good technically, deceptively good defense, and Froch too open and relying too much on his chin.
              There is only one of them getting knocked out, and it isn't Froch. If none of the fighters Froch fought couldn't come close to doing it, then Pavlik sure as hell wasn't going to do it. Froch wins, he's the superior fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
                Plenty of people would have said Joe ducked Jones. You know what people are like. If he took on Pavlik at Lightheavy, not many people would have given credit for it. They would have said the weight was too much and the win means nothing. You know they would. You spend enough time on here to understand.
                They wouldn't have.

Roy was irrelevant at that point and Joe had already said that a fight with him was pointless, as he'd been shot since 2004.

A fight with Pavlik would have been at a C-W like the one against Bernard.

The whole situation with Pavlik was bizarre. Pavlik wanted the fight, but Joe dismissed it by saying that Pavlik didn't excite him and he'd done nothing to warrant a fight. Yet he then claimed that he'd tried to fight Pavlik straight after he'd beaten Lacy in 2006. Yet at that stage, Pavkik was only a NABF title holder and unknown.

So: He wouldn't fight him when it would have been a big, relevant fight in 2008/2009, yet he wanted to fight him when he was unknown in 2006?

He hadn't done anything to warrant a fight with him, yet a near 40 year old version of Roy had?

Joe really should have fought Pavlik instead. Bernard received huge credit for his win over him.
                Last edited by robertzimmerman; 06-19-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Damn, he weighs 230 now? He was still maybe the biggest MW i've seen so shows you the genetics he has if has now gone up to 230. Looks solid as well.

Comment

That's no surprise, Froch not in the same class as Calzaghe who is an all time great, Froch is a good ex-champ , very tough and strong but not too much more if we talking at world level

Comment

Pavlik beats Froch but loses to Calzaghe but joe would have to not get hit with that right much

Comment

Working...
                      X