Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the absolute greatest between Ray Robinson and Roy Jones on there best night?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roy was so much bigger it's ridiculous, man. robinson started his career at 135 lbs and was no bigger than a welterweight for the entirety of the 1940's! this is a same day weigh in, mind you, these guys were not putting on 10+ lbs overnight.

and when he was at MW in the 50's he was regularly fighting bigger guys! only basilio and a few others stand out to me as being his size or smaller! he fought joey maxim, a good fighter but not a big one or an elite all time great like roy, and he almost died of heat exhaustion! maxim was just too big and robinson was stopped on his stool after 13 rounds!

now, what you can do is compare the resumes. one is a hell of a lot better than the other. that's not taking anything away from roy jones. just a fact that robinson had the best resume in two decades, an argument can be made that he's the best MW ever, and he's without a doubt the best WW ever.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
      I was just replying to the fact you said no one would match 8 hall of famers..There are fighters with more hall of famers on their resume then 8
      I meant 8 HOF and most in their prime, most fighters fought those guyz wben5 they were basically still fighting at 40 trying to pay they house and food bill!

What Robinson did can't be matched, beating HOF in and out of his prime while being undersized!

They need to make a modern movie on him!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
        There are guys with 10+ I believe.

There was a thread on this in the history section.

Edit:
        https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=354155

Harry Greb - 13 Kid Norfolk, Tunney, Levinsky, T.Gibbons,M. Gibbobs, Dillon, Flowers, Rosenbloom, Slattery, Walker, Loughran, Blackburn, billy miske

Jimmy Mclarnin- 11 -Villa,Labarba, Ambers, Canzoneri, Ross, Kaplan Petrolle, Leonard, Young Corbett 3, Bud Taylor, J. Fields

Sugar Ray Robinson- 10 - Armstrong, Lamotta, Fullmer, Kid Gavilan, Basilio, Graziano, Zivic,Turpin, Angott, Olson

Henry Armstrong- 10 - Wolgast, Ross, Angott, Ambers, Jenkins, Zivic, Montanez, Bass, Wright, Arizmendy

Joe Louis -8 - Schmeling, Sharkey, Conn, Walcott, Baer, Braddock, JH Lewis, Bivins. (Primo Carnera in World Hall of Fame but due to fixed fights scandal his career under question)

Muhammad Ali -7 Foster, Moore, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Patterson, Norton

Ezzard Charles 9. Jimmy Bivins, Charley Burley, Harold Johnson, Joe Louis, Lloyd Marshall, Joey Maxim, Jersey Joe Walcott, Teddy Yarosz and Archie Moore.

Sam Langford 11:George Godfrey,Tiger Flowers,Harry Wills,Joe Jeannette,Sam McVey,Philadelphia Jack O'Brian,Dixie Kid,Joe Gans,Jack Blackburn,Kid Norfolk,Stanley Ketchel (newspaper decision)

Jack Johnson 7: Sam McVea,Jim Jeffries,Stanley Ketchell,Tommy Burns,Bob Fitzsimmons,Joe Jeannette,Sam Langford

Johnny Risko 7:Tommy Loughran,Mickey Walker,Max Baer,
        George Godfrey,Jack Sharkey,Jack Delaney,Paul Berlenbach

Tony Canzoneri 9: Lou Ambers, Jimmy Mclarnin,Baby Arizmendy
        Kid Chocolate,Billy Petrolle,Jack (Kid) Berg, Benny Bass, Bud Taylor
        Johnny Dundee

Freddie Welsh 7 Abe Attell, Jim Driscoll, Johnny Dundee, Willie Ritchie, Ad Wolgast, Benny Leonard & Battling Nelson

Tommy Loughran 8: George Carpentier, Max Baer, James Braddock, Harry Greb,Young Stribling, Jack Sharkey, Mickey Walker, Jimmy Slattery
        ahhhhhhhh, how could i ever not mention Harry Greb ***!

Greb is the closest or maybe even better resume wise but not the better boxer!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
          In their straight primes best night of their careers who is the best between the 2?
          Robinson has every physical tool in the book backed with his knowledge while.
          Roy on the other has everything but a chin but on his best night I dont see any one really touching him and I think Robinson exceed him on footwork chin and power but Roy reflexes make him debatable unbeatable to anyone from 160 to 175 ur thoughts?
          They were both great in different ways.

From a conventional standpoint, it was Ray. He was just about the perfect fighter in his prime. He had absolutely everything.

Roy was unconventional, with a unique style based around his incredible reflexes. But it made him just as hard to beat.

You don’t need to compare them.

At their absolute best, they would both have been incredibly hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
            Lol, no.

Roy Jones Jr. would school Ray Robinson had they ever fought at middleweight. Then again, Roy also beats every fighter at middleweight-super middleweight in history.

But I understand they come from different era's of nutrition/training ideology, so it's really not a fair comparison.
            H2H is a different question.

H2H, Roy was naturally much bigger.

Ray’s absolute peak was when he was a WW in the days of same day weigh-ins.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              So... Roy Jones could avoid a fighter of rays calibre with his reflexes. And somehow hit Robinson on occasion? Do people really believe this?
              Why wouldn’t people believe it?

It doesn’t mean Roy was better in a P4P sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
                I'm sorry but this is just not true. I agree, Roy's fundamentals have always left something to be desired but this BS about his chin being suspect needs to stop.
                Didnt Danny Green knock him out in like the 3rd or 4th round?

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                  Calzaghe would have found a way
                  Here you are again.

Ha!

One day kid, one day.

There’ll come a time when you finally familiarise yourself with Roy’s career, and then realise how silly you’ve been over the last few years.

You still haven’t worked out why Joe fought him in 2008, yet stayed away from him in the late 90’s-early 00’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    "But I understand they come from different era's of nutrition/training ideology, so it's really not a fair comparison"....

So sick of this dribble from kids who have never trained, fought or watched the past greats fight!
                    Sick and tired of hearing this sh*! about not seeing Robinson at his "best"!
                    We don't have welter bouts showing Sugar displaying pure boxing!
                    As a middleweight he began "fighting" out of his boxing style because he learned in his first LaMotta fight you can't just box there are times in a fight when you have to FIGHT!

There are 25 years in between Sugars start and stop.
                    There are plenty of film from 1949 to his retirement!

Roy Jones does NOTHING better than Sugar, when Jones flashed hand speed it's just flashes! There is no power and if you think he lands on Sugar the way he lands on "normal" fighters your nuts!

By all means tell me about the new training ideology and methods.

Ray
                    Robinson would win as I think he would eventually find a way to Jr’s chin a few too many times, but suspect there could a flash knockdown by Jr on the way

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                      Nothing I saw in that film makes me change my mind. It just convinced me more that the prime Jones was better and would have KOed Robinson;s opponent very quickly.
                      You can’t make comparisons like that though.

I love both of these guys. But Ray was smaller, and he fought more often. He was fighting every 3 weeks at one stage.

Of course you’d pick Roy at his best to beat and knock out most of Ray’s opponents. But what does that mean?

Roy would have been 2 divisions higher than them on fight night. Also, how would Roy have looked on film, if he’d fought every 3 weeks instead of 3 times a year?

He lost his athletic gifts at 35, after 50 fights. So we don’t know how he’d have looked even in his 20’s, had he have fought as often as Ray.

Comment

Working...
                      X