Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the absolute greatest between Ray Robinson and Roy Jones on there best night?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robinson and it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by Squ□redCircle34 View Post
      Been seen this, it is the closest thing to his prime but not really prime!

I'm talking about when he was 25-27 years old just destroying and schooling everyone!

But i appreciate the post, it's beautiful to watch this guy fight and he had better fundamentals and footwork than a lot of today's fighters!

8 HOF on his resume, still a record that won't be matched!
      depends man look at Floyd

Gatti-already in
      Manny
      Cotto
      Canelo
      Mosley
      Jmm
      Oscar

that is 7 first ballots right there

possibles

Hatton
      Hernendez
      Castillo
      Corrales

Comment

Roy dominates Robinson at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
          depends man look at Floyd

Gatti-already in
          Manny
          Cotto
          Canelo
          Mosley
          Jmm
          Oscar

that is 7 first ballots right there

possibles

Hatton
          Hernendez
          Castillo
          Corrales
          No doubt Mayweather has one of the best resumes in the sport but this is two different classes we're talking about here!

Sammy Angott
          Jake Lamotta
          Henry Armstrong
          Kid Gavilan
          Rocky Graziano
          Carmen Basilio
          Gene Fullmer
          California Jackie Wilson

Mayweather only fought a prime Castillo and Corrales out of that group while Robinson beat atleast 5 ATG HOF in their prime! There's no match here, his best win is against a gun shy and war torn Pacquiao!

This isn't a debate, Mayweather is a great fighter who would do well in any era due to his work ethic, focus, IQ, footwork, skills and defense but we're talking about the GOAT here!

Y'all can call Floyd the best but Robinson is the greatest!

Comment

No doubt Mayweather has one of the best resumes in the sport but this is two different classes we're talking about here!

Sammy Angott
            Jake Lamotta
            Henry Armstrong
            Kid Gavilan
            Rocky Graziano
            Carmen Basilio
            Gene Fullmer
            California Jackie Wilson

Mayweather only fought a prime Castillo and Corrales out of that group while Robinson beat atleast 5 ATG HOF in their prime! There's no match here, his best win is against a gun shy and war torn Pacquiao!

This isn't a debate, Mayweather is a great fighter who would do well in any era due to his work ethic, focus, IQ, footwork, skills and defense but we're talking about the GOAT here!

Y'all can call Floyd the best but Robinson is the greatest!
            I was just replying to the fact you said no one would match 8 hall of famers..There are fighters with more hall of famers on their resume then 8

Comment

No way to know since I never witnessed Ray Robinson in his prime and there isn't quality footage of it. I can make a guess and that guess is Roy Jones would play with and stop Robinson.

Roy was not a same day 160lber so he was a good 10lbs+ bigger as a 160lber. And Robinson lost to guys that were basically overhyped nostalgic Salido type fighters. Hate all you want but I don't let nostalgia cloud my mind thinking about older cruder fighters that were smaller per weight class.

Comment

Been seen this, it is the closest thing to his prime but not really prime!

I'm talking about when he was 25-27 years old just destroying and schooling everyone!

But i appreciate the post, it's beautiful to watch this guy fight and he had better fundamentals and footwork than a lot of today's fighters!

8 HOF on his resume, still a record that won't be matched!
                There are guys with 10+ I believe.

There was a thread on this in the history section.

Edit:
                https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/s...d.php?t=354155

Harry Greb - 13 Kid Norfolk, Tunney, Levinsky, T.Gibbons,M. Gibbobs, Dillon, Flowers, Rosenbloom, Slattery, Walker, Loughran, Blackburn, billy miske

Jimmy Mclarnin- 11 -Villa,Labarba, Ambers, Canzoneri, Ross, Kaplan Petrolle, Leonard, Young Corbett 3, Bud Taylor, J. Fields

Sugar Ray Robinson- 10 - Armstrong, Lamotta, Fullmer, Kid Gavilan, Basilio, Graziano, Zivic,Turpin, Angott, Olson

Henry Armstrong- 10 - Wolgast, Ross, Angott, Ambers, Jenkins, Zivic, Montanez, Bass, Wright, Arizmendy

Joe Louis -8 - Schmeling, Sharkey, Conn, Walcott, Baer, Braddock, JH Lewis, Bivins. (Primo Carnera in World Hall of Fame but due to fixed fights scandal his career under question)

Muhammad Ali -7 Foster, Moore, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Patterson, Norton

Ezzard Charles 9. Jimmy Bivins, Charley Burley, Harold Johnson, Joe Louis, Lloyd Marshall, Joey Maxim, Jersey Joe Walcott, Teddy Yarosz and Archie Moore.

Sam Langford 11:George Godfrey,Tiger Flowers,Harry Wills,Joe Jeannette,Sam McVey,Philadelphia Jack O'Brian,Dixie Kid,Joe Gans,Jack Blackburn,Kid Norfolk,Stanley Ketchel (newspaper decision)

Jack Johnson 7: Sam McVea,Jim Jeffries,Stanley Ketchell,Tommy Burns,Bob Fitzsimmons,Joe Jeannette,Sam Langford

Johnny Risko 7:Tommy Loughran,Mickey Walker,Max Baer,
                George Godfrey,Jack Sharkey,Jack Delaney,Paul Berlenbach

Tony Canzoneri 9: Lou Ambers, Jimmy Mclarnin,Baby Arizmendy
                Kid Chocolate,Billy Petrolle,Jack (Kid) Berg, Benny Bass, Bud Taylor
                Johnny Dundee

Freddie Welsh 7 Abe Attell, Jim Driscoll, Johnny Dundee, Willie Ritchie, Ad Wolgast, Benny Leonard & Battling Nelson

Tommy Loughran 8: George Carpentier, Max Baer, James Braddock, Harry Greb,Young Stribling, Jack Sharkey, Mickey Walker, Jimmy Slattery

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                  I believe Roy was better as well, I honestly am not to impressed with Robinson to be honest
                  Yeah I'm not impressed with boxers who have basically every skill and athletic/physical ability you need in boxing either. Especially ones with heart in spades who fight almost every top fighter of his day across two proper weight classes and 2 decades.

Comment

There will never be another Sugar Ray Robinson. Only one and will always be one. Over 200 fights and to have a record like that and beat a good amount of hall of famers. No one will ever see that again.

Greatest boxer to ever step foot in a boxing ring.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
                      In their straight primes best night of their careers who is the best between the 2?
                      Robinson has every physical tool in the book backed with his knowledge while.
                      Roy on the other has everything but a chin but on his best night I dont see any one really touching him and I think Robinson exceed him on footwork chin and power but Roy reflexes make him debatable unbeatable to anyone from 160 to 175 ur thoughts?
                      Roid had a padded record and a glass chin

Comment

Working...
                      X