No announcement yet.

just rewatched ward/kovalev 2 again for the first time in a long time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just rewatched ward/kovalev 2 again for the first time in a long time

now...i know the term "masterclass" is kind of subjective as are most boxing buzz words

i dunno if you could classify this as a masterclass...would you?

i would say it might be one step below that...maybe a notch below...thats about where id put it

ward had kovalev figured out...and did some serious work...kovalev had no shot that night and i thought dude was a beast...he still pretty much is...i have no qualms with kovalev....but man andre was brilliant that night

I remember watching Ward when he was coming up and thinking he was a poor imitation of Roy Jones, gold medal be damned.

Then he got dropped and rocked a couple times on HBO and disappeared off TV.

Next time I saw him was when they announced the Super Six. He was a big underdog against Mikkel Kessler and I agreed.

His performance that night was a masterclass. I mean, I was blown away. Not just that he beat Kessler, but how he did it—the way he completely mind****ed the guy. I knew right then that he was a special, special fighter.

I wouldn’t rate the Kovalev win as a masterclass. Maybe a notch below, but certainly the biggest win of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      I remember watching Ward when he was coming up and thinking he was a poor imitation of Roy Jones, gold medal be damned.

Then he got dropped and rocked a couple times on HBO and disappeared off TV.

Next time I saw him was when they announced the Super Six. He was a big underdog against Mikkel Kessler and I agreed.

His performance that night was a masterclass. I mean, I was blown away. Not just that he beat Kessler, but how he did it—the way he completely mind****ed the guy. I knew right then that he was a special, special fighter.

I wouldn’t rate the Kovalev win as a masterclass. Maybe a notch below, but certainly the biggest win of his career.
      i agree...just a notch below...but maybe close...just a brilliant performance

crazy to think how he was viewed going into super 6...most books had him has the biggest dog to win it

alot of people(golovkin fans mostly) say hes "lucky" that he had the tournament for him....mostly as an excuse as to why he has a resume that golovkin will never touch

but those guys could have dropped out at any time....and whoever he fought had absolutely 0 problem fighting where they did....

Comment

Dirty fight to me

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
          i agree...just a notch below...but maybe close...just a brilliant performance

crazy to think how he was viewed going into super 6...most books had him has the biggest dog to win it

alot of people(golovkin fans mostly) say hes "lucky" that he had the tournament for him....mostly as an excuse as to why he has a resume that golovkin will never touch

but those guys could have dropped out at any time....and whoever he fought had absolutely 0 problem fighting where they did....
          I don’t even entertain that nonsense. Carl Froch kicked ass everywhere he was sent. Except when he fought Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
            Dirty fight to me
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbLlEgV0CY

its a highlight video i know....but theres alot of real clean work there....punch stat domination and a stoppage....kovalev was sapped

Comment

I don’t even entertain that nonsense. Carl Froch kicked ass everywhere he was sent. Except when he fought Ward.
              yup he really did..i was at froch/taylor at foxwoods...i had a little bit of cash on jermain...froch took my money and made me a bit of a fan

Comment

Mikkel Kessler-Dirrell, Froch was a one dimensional guy that Dirrel-Kessler already exposed, Ward just did it better.
                Last edited by Thraxox; 06-09-2018, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
                  yup he really did..i was at froch/taylor at foxwoods...i had a little bit of cash on jermain...froch took my money and made me a bit of a fan
                  Wow, I was there too. And also became an instant fan of Froch. Great fighter.

Comment

I wouldn't say so. I don't think SOG was at his best that night. I did have him squeezing out the win, 114-113, but I think the second fight is a more fair reflection on how good Ward is and how big the gap between him and Kov is. I never rated Kovalev has highly as others, so when he made the first one a close fight, I was thinking Ward is done.

Comment

Working...
                    X