Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so much hostility towards Hearn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't speak for outside the UK, but in the UK boxing community Hearn's painted as a villain for class-related reasons. In the 90/00s Sky Sports helped redefine football as being an inherently middle-class form of entertainment, and that its default platform of experience was TV. Beforehand - and even though more people still watched the matches on TV than in the stands - it was widely seen as a sport whose fans were more likely to be working-class, and whose default mode of experience was watching the game live.

Eddie Hearn and Matchroom have done something similar in the last 10 years in the UK with how they've grown boxing on Sky. Boxing - and expressing your interest in it - is far less controversial than it used to be, because it's become less oriented towards working-class white males.

The criticism Hearn gets is from those white males, as well as promoters whose marketing strategies are more old-fashioned and therefore based around them, such as Frank Warren. Personally, and even though the Sky-ification of a sport makes it a bit soulless, I still prefer the 'new' boxing and football to their older counterparts.

Edit:

To those that claim Hearn's not affected the US because he's not put on any shows there, that's not quite true IMO, because the boxing business isn't made up of completely separated markets. Hearn's growth of the UK boxing game shifts the centre of the wider boxing business towards the UK. Please, please note that I didn't say 'to the UK'; the US market is still the most developed, just that others are developing towards its level, and influencing it in the process.
    Last edited by gingerbreadman; 06-03-2018, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
      If you were from the UK.. then you would surely see the huge amount of boxing content that has surfaced in comparison to before his gravitating to topdog here.

Anyone that states he hasn't done anything for a revival of UK boxing is a flat out liar. If you're in the US then his impact has been negligible at best because he simply hasn't made any effort before now to tap into that market.. now he is trying to make positive strides to do it.. and grow a stable and platform that allows fighters to get paid very well for fights people want to see. I can't see why someone would have an issue with this besides them not identifying with him culturally
      So, other than the UK (which I personally don't care for), the answer is nothing. He can't get credit for things that haven't happened yet.

Comment

You know I'm referring to the LDBC in that statement..I can point to a good 5:1 ratio of positive to negative comments for Hearn in the areas that matter to him such as social media . You need only look at the hate Frank warrens getting today and the positivity surrounding Hearn by comparison because of it.

As I said to Mr Perfect .. I don't do black or white I call it as I see it. I suggest you keep arguing with the usual race bait crowd if that's where you're going to take this discussion
        He gets the same hate as Haymon, Schafer, Oscar, Arum, Floyd etc. The only difference is y’all worship Hearn to the point that y’all have to make threads anytime someone makes a negative comment about him lol

He's British.. and for some.. it's because he's white and British.

Race baiter made sure to put that as his first sentence so he could get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
          Can't speak for outside the UK, but in the UK boxing community Hearn's painted as a villain for class-related reasons. In the 90/00s Sky Sports helped redefine football as being an inherently middle-class form of entertainment, and that its default platform of experience was TV. Beforehand - and even though more people still watched the matches on TV than in the stands - it was widely seen as a sport whose fans were more likely to be working-class, and whose default mode of experience was watching the game live.

Eddie Hearn and Matchroom have done something similar in the last 10 years in the UK with how they've grown boxing on Sky. Boxing - and expressing your interest in it - is far less controversial than it used to be, because it's become less oriented towards working-class white males.

The criticism Hearn gets is from those white males, as well as promoters whose marketing strategies are more old-fashioned and therefore based around them, such as Frank Warren. Personally, and even though the Sky-ification of a sport makes it a bit soulless, I still prefer the 'new' boxing and football to their older counterparts.

Edit:

To those that claim Hearn's not affected the US because he's not put on any shows there, that's not quite true IMO, because the boxing business isn't made up of completely separated markets. Hearn's growth of the UK boxing game shifts the centre of the wider boxing business towards the UK. Please, please note that I didn't say 'to the UK'; the US market is still the most developed, just that others are developing towards its level, and influencing it in the process.
          Very interesting view point and I think your right. He's often booed etc in the U.K. but isn't by all. I mean he was booed after Joshua klitschko, arguably the fight of the decade. People hate his background but you bite your own nose if you really can't appreciate what he has done, because you wouldn't be getting half the boxing on the sky sports subscription without him!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
            So, other than the UK (which I personally don't care for), the answer is nothing. He can't get credit for things that haven't happened yet.
            Ok so you don't care for UK boxing.. the second biggest market in boxing and by sheer crowd numbers somewhat leading in how popular boxing is as an overall sport.

Got ya... Great boxing fan. Not agenda or culture driven at all. Sound pal

Comment

I definitely think if Hearn can partner with an American promoter for his Matchroom USA it will be beneficial for him.

Comment

Growing up in the US I didn't care at all about UK boxing, only would watch if they showed it on HBO or Showtime. Then, as Hearn began building some of these legit Matchroom cards, I started making an effort to watch them and now it's my favorite part of boxing. I probably look forward to more British matchups (not just Matchroom, but mostly) every year now than I do American fights. Also personally think Hearn and Kalle are the only promoters that would actually be good to spend time with. Hearn has a serious ego and he's a real son of a *****, but in a good and entertaining way, and he's funny as hell. Also like that he works with other big time promoters more than anybody else.

Comment

Ok so you don't care for UK boxing.. the second biggest market in boxing and by sheer crowd numbers somewhat leading in how popular boxing is as an overall sport.

Got ya... Great boxing fan. Not agenda or culture driven at all. Sound pal
                  No agenda here. Maybe you have one. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
                    No agenda here. Maybe you have one. Carry on.
                    I'll quite happily watch any US boxing available to me through TV or otherwise. I have an abundance of US fighters in my pfp and am on record in saying whilst I think and want AJ to beat wilder.. it is absolutely the case that wilder knocks him spark out.

I'm not the one stating in a boxing fan but only for boxing shown on my own country even though the other seems to be leading the way in crowd and fan interaction and overall event excitement.

If you think for a single second I'm going to believe a US event Is promoted as well to a buying demographic than what a matchroom show is in the UK then stick to your loopy juice.

If you had been to a UK show you'd probably have seen that.. but you won't

Because you don't like UK boxing.

Your name is boxingisgreat..but apparently only in a country you indentify with. Good one.

Carry on

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                      Why are people so desperate for him to fail in his mission to bring interest back into the sport in America? Why so much hostility towards someone who has really increased boxings popularity in the uk?
                      Same reason Al Haymon is attacked I guess

Comment

Working...
                      X