Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sylvester Stallone Reveals Plans To Make Film on Jack Johnson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
    Overrated? He was the first African American Champ. What’s next Jackie Robinson is overrated?
    Jack Johnson's value for boxing fans was not that he was the first black heavyweight champion but that he was a great champion. He was denied a shot / avoided for a few years and then there really was no choice but to give him his shot.

I love Stanley Ketchel's story as much as the next guy but from all I read he was an Arturo Gatti sort of fighter (with greater pop). There were a lot of exhibition fights in those days and it really seems as if Johnson was taking it easy until the knock down.

Comment

Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
      Jack Johnson was the inspiration for Apollo Creed? I always heard that the Rocky story was inspired by Chuck Wepner and that Creed was loosely based on Ali?
      Yeah Sly is full of sh/t on that one, he is laying it on thick to sell tickets.

Creed was CLEARLY based on Ali, even down to the fighting style and quips

This movie could be amazing if done correctly, all depends on the actor.

If anyone is going to make this movie it's Sly, in playing such a big part in getting the pardon, Sly is actually part of the narrative.

This movie will sell off that fact alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
        Jack Johnson's value for boxing fans was not that he was the first black heavyweight champion but that he was a great champion. He was denied a shot / avoided for a few years and then there really was no choice but to give him his shot.

I love Stanley Ketchel's story as much as the next guy but from all I read he was an Arturo Gatti sort of fighter (with greater pop). There were a lot of exhibition fights in those days and it really seems as if Johnson was taking it easy until the knock down.
        The were a lot of great champions regardless of color. Just like the Jackie Robinson comparison. There were better players of color that were better than Jackie that never gotten a chance however Jackie was good and he is known for being the first African American player to be in the league just like Jack was the first to carry the belt. You don't need to give me a history lesson on my own history . He wasn't the best heavyweight of all time but he was a good champion and he wasn't overrrated .

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post

Read the same things about the Ketchel fight. Read that Ketchels teeth were stuck in Johnson's glove.

Comment

Originally posted by JcLazyX210 View Post
            The were a lot of great champions regardless of color. Just like the Jackie Robinson comparison. There were better players of color that were better than Jackie that never gotten a chance however Jackie was good and he is known for being the first African American player to be in the league just like Jack was the first to carry the belt. You don't need to give me a history lesson on my own history . He wasn't the best heavyweight of all time but he was a good champion and he wasn't overrrated .
            Your "own" history? Its a boxing forum. I opined Johnson was over rated, think the same thing of Marciano, it's an opinion. I could care less about the color of a man's skin. Hear enough about that on CNN and FB to last a life time.

Comment

Long Overdue! The Great White Hope was good but that wasn't really a Biopic of Jack Johnson

As for Casting it should be Oscar Award Winner Mahershala Ali who Ironically Enough already Played Jack Johnson in a Stage Play

Comment

Originally posted by StudentOfDaGame
                I thought he passed (touch wood). Last night I suggested Idris or Nonzo but of course he's the man!.
                Nope, he's slated for the next Mission Impossible. Idris is not a bad choice either.

Comment

Leonardo di capro in the lead role.....

Comment

Originally posted by Usetoloveboxing View Post
                    Your "own" history? Its a boxing forum. I opined Johnson was over rated, think the same thing of Marciano, it's an opinion. I could care less about the color of a fman's skin. Hear enough about that on CNN and FB to last a life time.
                    I respect your opinion man. No need for race really at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X