Being a fan of a boxer vs. a fan of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being a fan of a boxer vs. a fan of boxing

How do you all feel about it?

There's definitely a negative connotation associated with being a fan of a particular boxer vs. wanting "the best to fight the best."

But you don't see this in other sports. Patriots fans relished at the Jaguars beating the Steelers because they wanted their team to have the easiest road to a championship.

Why is boxing different?

I think the dynamics of the two sports is a big part of it. Boxing is way more of an art. Seeing two skilled guys "dance" in the ring, match wits, match skills, match heart, etc is something you don't get at all in football.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post

There's definitely a negative connotation associated with being a fan of a particular boxer vs. wanting "the best to fight the best."

But you don't see this in other sports. Patriots fans relished at the Jaguars beating the Steelers because they wanted their team to have the easiest road to a championship.

Why is boxing different?
      Good point, probably cause you’re supporting several players in a team as opposed to one individual. I think most boxing fans are a fan of the sport more than they are fans of particular fighters too.

The main gripe I tend to have with boxing “fans” are these guys that claim to be super fans yet don’t ever attend shows amateur or pro.

Comment

I actually thought about making this same thread but I've had finals so **** you for taking my idea lol.

Your entire premise is a fantasy. If you are a fan of the Patriots, do you not advocate them going to the superbowl? Will they not face the other best team in the superbowl? So why does that change with boxing. People ATTACK users on this board just because they want to see top fighters challenged. **** is ridiculous.

Comment

In other sports I only watch my team and when they are done for the season I stop watching all together. But in boxing I just want to see the best fights regardless of who is fighting. Even if the fighter I'm a fan of loses legitimately it doesn't bother me because a loss isn't everything and then maybe we will get better fights because of the outcome? You just never know. I like the sport as a whole it's not a team or city thing.
          I've never really been a big sports guy though so I'm not THAT passionate about it.

Comment

I always support the sport above the fighters. If a fighter I like is on some bullshyt, I won't defend it. I'm not going to make a fool of myself for some dude who doesn't know me.
            I get the impression that 98% of the people here are more fans of the fighters though so my stance is an unpopular one.

Comment

When you watch multiple fighters and often times, you'll watch fighters who aren't even names but you're just watching boxing to see the guys move, what they have and how they set things up and so forth, you're a boxing fan.

When you only watch certain fighters, you're a fan of those fighters and that's about it. It's that simple.

The more I watch of guys I haven't heard of and learn to appreciate all the styles, the more I like it. It's fascinating to see two guys look for the vulnerable points in each other and exploit them. Quite fascinating and educational.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I always support the sport above the fighters. If a fighter I like is on some bullshyt, I won't defend it. I'm not going to make a fool of myself for some dude who doesn't know me.
                I get the impression that 98% of the people here are more fans of the fighters though so my stance is an unpopular one.
                100% sign. I get the impression that almost no one is here for the sport. They have their egos wrapped up in how they asses certain fighters for better or worse and appreciating the sport has jack to do with it. It's sad.

Comment

Originally posted by rolshans View Post

Why is boxing different?
                  There is only 1 champion in team sports. we know who the best is after the playoffs.

boxing has 4 per divison. the best fighting the best gets us closer to 1 champion.

thats why we want

joshua vs wilder
                  mikey vs lomachencko

etc

Comment

A Boxing fan should/does watch every card they can and shouldn't root for poor ratings/low gates etc; There's definitely a large number on here who are a fan or a particular fighter or two and they've at least branched out to a hate a fighter or two but those type of fans don't go pay money to go watch the fights and most likely skip on most fights on TV. Those are the ones who poke fun at ratings, purses and attendances yet probably haven't even paid to see their own guy let alone pay to see a show as a neutral.

Team sports is different because depending on the sport your team plays more times in a year than your fighter fights in a career. **** 3-4 careers if your a baseball fan.

Comment

Working...
                    X