No announcement yet.

No undisputed HW champion since Mike Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No undisputed HW champion since Mike Tyson

I read an article that Showtime is peddling this shit. Anyone here that doesnt think Lennox Lewis/Riddick Bowe/Evander Holyfield/Buster Douglas werent Undisputed HW champs?

Nope and Lennox called them out over twitter too about it.

They said they respect him but disagree with him because their "historian and analyst" who also works as a commentator for ****ing WWE.. thinks the WBO belt actually meant diddly **** in 1999

Comment

HBO was trying to have it both ways. Bringing Naseem Hamed to the US in '97 and recognizing his WBO belt as a "world championship," but then suddenly two years later trying to crown an "undisputed champion" without the WBO belt.

It was a very hypocritical time when it came to the WBO belt. I personally don't recognize the WBO, so I definitely considered Lewis the undisputed champion when he unified the WBC, WBA and IBF, but Showtime does have an interesting point about these so called undisputed champions that didn't hold the WBO even though the same network was recognizing the WBO title as a world championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
        I read an article that Showtime is peddling this shit. Anyone here that doesnt think Lennox Lewis/Riddick Bowe/Evander Holyfield/Buster Douglas werent Undisputed HW champs?
        Well none of them held all 4 belts. Though Tyson held 3 when they were only 3 for two years.

Undisputed champ could be defined as holding the main 3 IBF, WBA and WBC which makes all 4 of them undisputed champ.

Comment

No. They were undisputed just as you say. Showtime should know better.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
            Nope and Lennox called them out over twitter too about it.

They said they respect him but disagree with him because their "historian and analyst" who also works as a commentator for ****ing WWE.. thinks the WBO belt actually meant diddly **** in 1999
            Yeah he went HAM on Showtime.

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
            HBO was trying to have it both ways. Bringing Naseem Hamed to the US in '97 and recognizing his WBO belt as a "world championship," but then suddenly two years later trying to crown an "undisputed champion" without the WBO belt.

It was a very hypocritical time when it came to the WBO belt. I personally don't recognize the WBO, so I definitely considered Lewis the undisputed champion when he unified the WBC, WBA and IBF, but Showtime does have an interesting point about these so called undisputed champions that didn't hold the WBO even though the same network was recognizing the WBO title as a world championship.
            Prince Naseem was the man back in the day.This Kelly fight was insane , but this interview Hamed had swag back then.The interview is great "I'm gonna knock him spark out !!!!! " " I'm gonna knock you spark out" "relax, relax baby you gonna get knocked out" Lmfao

Comment

Literally using the Trump media method

Comment

I think Showtime meant that Mike Tyson-Tony Tucker was the last HW unification bout where both fighters were undefeated. Lewis already had a loss when he unified against Hollyfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun_Tzu View Post
                  Huh? Herbie Hide in the revisionist vein that Showtime is using is now a 2 time heavyweight champion.

Then how long will it be until the "Dancing Disaster err Destroyer" has his plaque in Canastota?

Comment

Showtime went full ****** by doubling down on their clear error. So if fringe belts matter then I guess we won't have an undisputed champion until Joshua or Wilder pick up the IBA, IBU and WBF belts.

WBO was a mickey mouse belt back in the Lewis' era, hell I still regard it as a 2nd tier belt at heavyweight.

Comment

Working...
                    X