Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Gvozdyk Wins Tough Decision Over Amar, in Line For WBC Shot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
    LOL people making a big deal out of nothing. dude did exactly what he was supposed to do - he dominated a stay-busy fight.

All because he didn't stop the dude, and the dude won a few rounds he gave away?

LOL..

Alvarez ducked him, and we all know Adonis don't want no part of him.. so he'll just keep beating whoever they put in front of him..
    When you are known as a puncher anything less than blasting someone out is seen as you losing / showing weakness. Even if the scores were 117-111 in the power-puncher's favour, a 'slick' boxer who shows off and wins by 117-111 gets much more credit.

Comment

Originally posted by landotter View Post
      I guess. But Gvozdyk was tattooing him at points, but never hurt him. This is a journeyman.

Doubting at this point the Gvozdyk can beat any of the top 5 175 fighters.
      I agree.

Gvozdyk is a good fighter with a potential to be very good, not great.

There's a lot to work on.

He can't infight at all and his defense isn't good. I also kept noticing him punching in combo out of range a few times. There's too much to tighten up.

Develop this guy more.

Comment

I love a good KO, blood and guts, toe to toe warrior action as much as the next guy, but it seems fans are way more fickle and capricious these days, ready to abandon their support for a fighter as soon as he doesn't do what's expected.
        Joe Parker and GGG are good examples of this, yet surely some fighters have an off night while yes, others - may have hit their ceiling.
        How anyone can know that from one fight I don't know - but it reminds me of the culture of top-flight European football - when managers can be under pressure after losing one or two games, or for not winning in a 'pleasing' fashion.
        Aren't some fighters who rack up KO's early in their careers supposed to learn to go the distance? Even Iron Mike admitted early on that he needed to learn to go the full distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
          Wlad's defense was more than tying opponents up when they got close - look at the haye fight, Wlad used his fast feet to maintain perfect distance.

He was great at using foot speed to slide back and avoid shots.

their offenses are not similar. the only correct thing you said, was that Wlad had a basic offense, which consisted of 1's, 1-2's, and lead left hooks. But he was the master at setting up each punch: set up the straight right with the jab, and then set up the left hook with the straight right.

Gvozdyk is a much more dynamic offensive fighter, circling using angles, etc.

there's just nothing similar at all between these two fighters aside from them being Ukrainian. Just admit it - that was a bad comparison.

You are wasting your time with Cutthroat.. that dude is such a nut hugger he thinks Wilder > Wlad in terms of resume.. yeah I know..
          Anybody who thinks Klitschko's defense is just clinching and leaning then they need to a revisit boxing history.. Taller and heavier guys try to weight bully the shorter opponents(e.g. Ali-Frazier) and leaning on a shorter guy exhausts him physically so it's an illegal tactic..
          Klitschko followed Steward's coaching to the T.. Lennox fought the same way and Lennox's footwork and defense wasn't even as good as Wlad but he was a dog who can dish it out unlike Wlad.. Steward's own assessment of Wlad was he didn't pull the gun but had the better arsenal compared to Lennox..
          Wlad is a thinking boxer who sets up his punches.. Steward's coaching was very evident in later half of Lennox's and Wlad's peak career..
          Even before people credited Loma for the slapping the opponents guard and landing the lead hand, Klitschko used to use it..

Comment

He looked Ok but I would pick Kovalev, Bivol and Stevenson to beat him.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
              I agree.

He can't infight at all and his defense isn't good. I also kept noticing him punching in combo out of range a few times. There's too much to tighten up.

Develop this guy more.
              Agree. Gvodzyk's a good fighter but needs to develop before the big fights.

Comment

Never been on the gvozdyk hype train, just don't see anything that special about him.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
                  I agree.

Develop this guy more.
                  Damn you have pretty low standards, that guy sucks he’s c level at best.

Comment

Gvozdyk is already 30 and not showing greatness

Comment

Originally posted by NC Uppercut View Post
                      Gvozdyk looked very suspect at times in this fight. Either he took his opponent too lightly or he just pulls a DSG and fights to his opponents level. Strange bc I thought he looked much better in his previous fights
                      Agree, against known low-level opponents, he looks a little bit lazy, not really motivated. The guy has a great potential imo, he probably needs to test himself against a top dog, he's got power, footwork and stamina, but really, in fights like this one, his behavior is a bit irritating.
                      Before the fight, i had him winning by stoppage within rd5, but watching the fight, i just realized that it wouldn't happen. At the end of the fight he didn't even look happy of his own work, he probably wanted KO but honestly, he didn't do enough to deserve it... I'm disappointed, because i've been following his fights for some time and think he could be ready for a title shot but want him with a different attitude, otherwise the likes of Kovalev or Bivol literally eat him.
                      Last edited by steady_p; 03-18-2018, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X