Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the best American HW's are in the NBA/NFL

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah the best guys in every other country (except america of course) are boxing while the best guys in america are all doing other things, yeah makes perfect sense alrite

its like the argument that fighters in america dont benefit from home country advantage in fights LOL, what next

if every big guy in the world took up boxing to see how good they were who knows what the **** would happen and who cares

of course there would be good potential boxers in the nba or nfl or whatever, there may be good potential boxers in wallstreet too, most people dont make a song and dance about it tho, inferiority complex?

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      It's hard to believe this used to be a hot debate among boxing fans for years, where had all the American HW's gone? It was generally split, the Americans believed that statement while the Euro crowd would laugh it off. They believed the best we could produce were guys like Chambers or Thompson. The Americans weren't fooled though, we'd seen the quality of our athletes among various sports and knew how unpopular boxing had become in America.

That decade long debate all came to an end when one finally slipped through the cracks due to certain circumstances, a 20 year old with aspirations of playing collegiate football/bball, now a HW champion.

OK, What is this? Just like a flag waving thread or something? I've no doubt that the US may have done better at HW if there weren't better options for your bigger guys, but you lose me after that. How does Wilder getting a title (or even, eventually being crowned HW king) prove anything about anything? You're saying that because 1 guy made it to the top (or near the top) of the heaviest division of boxing it proves that if they had wanted too, lots of others could too?

Let me link you to some **** on logical fallacy, man. I'm sure lots of other folks could learn from it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_fallacy

https://www.iep.utm.edu/fallacy/

Possibly I'm missing your point though.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 03-11-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

lmao that number is nothing compared to the amount of tickets sold for middle school, high school, and collegiate sports in America. We literally have more kids playing sports than the 30 million sold for pro soccer, forget tens of million, we sell HUNDREDS of millions.

American schools depend on sports for yearly revenue, they've turned it into a billion dollar industry. How exactly do you think a $72 million dollar stadium for high school, not pros, not collegiate, gets paid for?

There is no place on earth that has their schools and sports linked like we do.
        So now you're comparing all your sports just to soccer in the UK?

Your argument started with NFL being more popular in America than soccer is in the UK.

As i said you know nothing. Moving the goalposts.

Comment

Boxing is significantly more popular overseas than it is America, that excuse doesn't work. It's like the 10th most popular sport here, probably worse.

If Wilder was European he'd be a star like AJ is. Even Dylan Whyte gets more recognition than Wilder. Guys like Abraham, Wlad, stars in Germany. Even Adamek had huge support from the Polish crowd.
          Good points

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
            So now you're comparing all your sports just to soccer in the UK?

Your argument started with NFL being more popular in America than soccer is in the UK.

As i said you know nothing. Moving the goalposts.
            Football tickets alone are enough to eclipse the total amount in soccer. Let me break this down for you:

Youth:
            Flag football
            Pee-wee football

Middle school:
            7th grade
            8th grade

High school+
            Freshman
            Junior Varisty
            Varisty
            College
            Pros

Each roster consists of 20-40 players, each team is separate, tickets are sold separately. Entire families show up, buy tickets and watch them play. The amount of tickets sold fo football at all stages per year take sa big wet dump around the mere 30 million sold by pro soccer.

Schools are utterly dependent on athletics to bring in revenue, we've turned it into a business. That's not even counting the other sports we offer. It's not unusual for basketball players to transition to football, or baseball to football, basketball to baseball etc.

The UK is not America lmao, we offer our kids as young as 4 the ability to play a variety of sports, we're not just limited to soccer/rugby or some gay ass sport like cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
              OK, What is this? Just like a flag waving thread or something? I've no doubt that the US may have done better at HW if there weren't better options for your bigger guys, but you lose me after that. How does Wilder getting a title (or even, eventually being crowned HW king) prove anything about anything? You're saying that because 1 guy made it to the top (or near the top) of the heaviest division of boxing it proves that if they had wanted too, lots of others could too?

Let me link you to some **** on logical fallacy, man. I'm sure lots of other folks could learn from it too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_fallacy

https://www.iep.utm.edu/fallacy/

Possibly I'm missing your point though.

The way our sports are set up in general don't allow for many to slip through to boxing like they do in Europe. With a Hispanic population of 50 million, where do you think all our hispanic fighters are at? There is no shortage of Mikey Garcias, or 6'2 fighters like Benavedez/Ramirez, or guys built like De La Hoya.

It's not just Wilder, it's guys like Shawn Porter, Jason Sosa, Holyfield, James Toney, both Charlo bros were football/bball players etc. even Andre Ward played football. There are multiple avenues which anybody can choose from in America, the same cannot be said about Europe where you offer soccer, rugby, or some sport like cricket.

Comment

The Euro crowd thinks our athletics and theirs are similar, they're not at all. Pro sports in America are a more viable as an option for your career than ANYWHERE in the world.

Our schools turned our athletics into a business and are largely dependent on the revenue, this isn't the case for the majority of the world.

A college education can cost you upwards of $100k+, this isn't the case for most of the rest of the world that offers free education.

Americans offer our children as young as 4 years old to play a wide variety of sports, this isn't the case for the rest of the world which offers soccer, rugby, then some sport like cricket.

America is like no other place on earth.

Comment

The way our sports are set up in general don't allow for many to slip through to boxing like they do in Europe. With a Hispanic population of 50 million, where do you think all our hispanic fighters are at? There is no shortage of Mikey Garcias, or 6'2 fighters like Benavedez/Ramirez, or guys built like De La Hoya.

It's not just Wilder, it's guys like Shawn Porter, Jason Sosa, Holyfield, James Toney, both Charlo bros were football/bball players etc. even Andre Ward played football. There are multiple avenues which anybody can choose from in America, the same cannot be said about Europe where you offer soccer, rugby, or some sport like cricket.
                  I'm still not quite sure what your point is. In general I'd imagine that all other things being equal, you'd expect a balanced global distribution in the quality of fighters. Of course, all else isn't equal - there's greater poverty in some countries, a better historical amateur program in others and more financial incentives to go in a direction other than boxing in yet others (like the US). The reasons why young people might choose one or other sport in different countries are many, but I'm not really sure why you started a thread to point that out. Are you feeling that American HW boxing receives unfair criticism from European fans?

Comment

Atlas has talked about this a lot. Boxing is the road less traveled. Very tough be a champion in this sport. NFL/NBA is more popular and a lot easier road.

Comment

yeah that makes perfect sense, all those guys u mention were football/bb players, thats 2 sports, yet in europe they only offer soccer, rugby or cricket, thats 3 sports lol

btw football is played by kicking the football, the hint is in the name, in nfl u throw the ball mostly, throwball

Comment

Working...
                      X